Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Mar 29, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,056 of 2,154

Quote:
So things didn't quite work out as planned. I had tried to give U5 a good reflowing and ended up creating a big mess. I had to use chipquik to remove the whole chip. In the end I lifted a solder pad - pad 21 to be exact. From the looks of the schematic it doesn't look like pin 21 is in use. However, it seems like another pad near 21 is damaged as well. What would you guys do? Just buy a new y2 board and reuse some parts like caps, etc? or just try and replace U5 and hope for the best?

It's up to you -- you be the judge of the extent of board damage and whether it is salvageable.

Quote:
On a side note, I just realized that I accidentally installed U6 on a separate Gamma-2 that has the WM8741. Will having U6 installed do harm to U5?

U5 won't be damaged, but it won't perform as designed in such a situation.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2,058 of 2,154
There is no attenuator in the standard build. It can be used to drive headphones with a preferred opamp substituted for this purpose, but you need to supply attenuation elsewhere in the chain. In general though, it's just a DAC.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,060 of 2,154
It's nothing too bad. The only challenge is there is a decent amount of smd work with fairly small pitch, which can take some practice. I recommend watching some youtube vids on smd soldering and make sure you have plenty of solder wick and flux on hand. There is no casework though if you buy the faceplates from AMB and use the recommended enclosure. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2,061 of 2,154
you mean you have to solder like this

_surface_mount_soldering_close_up.jpg

instead of going trough the PCB and solder in the back? never done that and it looks quite delicated.

I'm considering pay someone in cse is too risky for me to blow it

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #2,065 of 2,154
Solder paste and a hot air station is a much easier method.
 Also a lot faster but not exactly cheap, especially if you're only going to use it for one project.

Here's an example youtube video:

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,070 of 2,154
I read the website about the volume control issue. I am planning to buy Denon D2000 soon but right now even my audioengine A5 seems to get way too loud a volume. i cant control volume via windows because windows doesnt touch the audio going into the gamma 2. I CAN control volume through fubar, but for example, if I'm using stumbleupon on firefox and getting a bunch of random videos from random flash video websites, I would have to constantly switch the volume to lower in the flash video itself.

The A5's are amplified but need to be set to a certain low volume otherwise speaker imbalance occurs. Essentially, I need to control the volume AFTER the gamma2 and BEFORE the speakers or headphones.

After reading, I'm seeing that simply using a volume pot or inline stereo volume control completely screws up the frequency response because of the varied impedence. It seems that a heapdhone amp is the only way to go to control volume.

Knowing this prior info, is the Fiio E5 a worthwhile purchase for the denon d2000 along with being a volume control for the A5's? Or should I save up more and use something like Fiio E7?

I am eventually going to build the Mini3 as my main portable amp and probably the X1 upgrade for it also, but thats only once I save up enough money. Until then, will Fiio E5 do or is it of such low quality that I might as well not bother? or worse, will the amped output screw with the input of my A5's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back