Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,741 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, why not.
The value of the capacitor will define the -3db roll off on the hpf.
I personally think the 1uF polyester is good enough for use with >50k impedance pots, while the electrolytes offer more flexibility. The 47uF will probably be satisfactory with some higher impedance headphones as well(~300ohm)

I threw those 47uf Black Gates in, and they sound fantastic. I hear no discernible difference in the bass, at least not for the worse.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #1,742 of 2,154
So, previously i thought i had something wrong with my y1/y2.
Voltages were low while using 24/25 for power.

USB power works great.

I put a USB-mini connector on my 24/25 and low and behold, i'm only getting 3v into the gamma. This corresponds to my measurements and symptoms while using the 1.3mm jack.

I show 5.02v coming out of the 24/25, but when its connected, it drops to 3v.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #1,744 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I threw those 47uf Black Gates in, and they sound fantastic. I hear no discernible difference in the bass, at least not for the worse.

Where did you get the idea you would?
confused_face_2.gif

Did you try it without the film "bypass" caps yet?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #1,746 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, why not.
The value of the capacitor will define the -3db roll off on the hpf.
I personally think the 1uF polyester is good enough for use with >50k impedance pots, while the electrolytes offer more flexibility. The 47uF will probably be satisfactory with some higher impedance headphones as well(~300ohm)

Hmm... this is interesting. Are you saying that the 47uF choice is more suitable for higher impedance cans compared to the default 22uF?

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #1,747 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... this is interesting. Are you saying that the 47uF choice is more suitable for higher impedance cans compared to the default 22uF?

I said they'd be satisfactory with higher impedance cans when they are being driven directly out of the DAC.
I think amb's default recommendation of 470uF KW's are generally better suited for driving headphones directly out of the DAC though.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #1,748 of 2,154
Quote:

Because the size of the caps affects the corner frequency...sometimes changing it can be detrimental, I thought.

You could go down to about 4.7uF and not notice any change. 47uF would be okay for 300ohm cans and 470uF for 32 ohm cans.

Quote:

I haven't tried it without the bypass caps - have you? Is it worthwhile?

If you mean coupling caps, it's a very bad idea. The dc offset will cause a large voltage and current to short through the drivers and pop them. Bye bye headphones. I'm sure you knew this.

If you mean to keep the coupling caps and not use the additional bypass, then this would result in the loss of some detail and a slightly rougher top end. How much worse would depend on the quality of the electrolytics - BG NX Hi-Q are great so it'd only be a small difference.

I think MrX is having an evil day....

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #1,753 of 2,154
Hi Ti,

Can I ask you about the y1 ? The CS8416 datasheet suggests this
RFLT CFLT CRIP
23kΩ 22nF 1nF

On the y1 the components are C18D, C19D and R4;
3kΩ 33nF 1nF

So I'm curious about the filter change from the one given in the datasheet....and what would be the effect on jitter of changing rflt and cflt ?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #1,755 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was asking for a build, with major differences and price variations.

I might be reading what you wrote wrongly, but AMB doesn't sell builds. As for the differences and price variations, you can deduce that from the BOM's and interestingly enough, the price variations really depend on what you want so it really depends on you
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back