Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #1,186 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
S/PDIF bandwidth is 2.8MHz (44.1K), 3.1MHz (48K).

Thanks again Ti. I thought the 44.1K/48K was the data rate before the BMC encoding? Wouldn't the resultant encoded stream be of higher bandwidth?

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #1,189 of 2,154
I need some troubleshooting help.

I was working on reconfiguring a tread to power a previously working y2 and I briefly, accidentally shorted positve to ground on the y1 dc jack with an errant probe. Now the y1 continues to function, but the y2 does not. I get 1.7v on the 3.3v reg and only .3v on the 4.5v one. Would this have taken out the 4.5v reg? I do hope I didn't wipe out the wm8741...

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #1,190 of 2,154
my guess is that the chips are ok but the regs are blown. your voltage measurements show that, to me.

shorting + to - should not hurt the chips. in fact, you are now sending 0v thru the chips, which should be harmless, right?
wink.gif

but NOT harmless to the v-regs
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #1,191 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have their y2 in a larger enclosure? I don't like the look of the little enclosure in my component stack.

I'll snap a pic of mine, later on. its inside a hammond case and also has an lcd controlling it (and an spdif switch board, as well).

I'm not a big fan of the small designed-in case and so I allowed myself some freedom in not using rca jacks and instead using molex offboard connectors. works just fine that way and gives more freedom in the box selection.

next up is to mount a tread and sigma25 in the box (dual vregs for the 2 devices I use; digital and analog).

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #1,195 of 2,154
If you eliminate all of the other stuff by applying the supply voltage directly to the Gamma 2 board and the regs still have low voltage problems and the current draw is within a reasonable range you have verified the regulators are cooked.
That's all.

Edit:
Another double check is to measure the voltage on the noise reduction pin.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #1,196 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will see if swapping the regs solves it. I wonder why it damaged the y2, but not the y1?

I recently had a y2 'die' also. not sure which part of actually died (hmm, might have been the regs, I didn't check mine). and yet my y1 continues to live. I built another y2 and that is working ok, now, but I can't explain why my y2 died and y1 lived. I might have been messing with plugging/unplugging the power a lot (my dac was a demo dac taken to a few road shows and was handled more than it should, maybe).

I've heard that tps regs are very very static sensitive. maybe I had a problem with that.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #1,197 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might have been messing with plugging/unplugging the power a lot (my dac was a demo dac taken to a few road shows and was handled more than it should, maybe).

I managed to get my y2 oscillating in the audible region (mid bass, perhaps?) by switching the 3.5mm audio output back and forth from the y1 to the y2 while music was playing. Stopping the music did nothing, but a power cycle and it was OK again.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,198 of 2,154
The reason I ask about powering the y2 separately is because I had some contact problems with the pins and headers, so I ended up wiring the the boards together. Therefore, I would rather eliminate other things before desoldering the wiring.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #1,200 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I managed to get my y2 oscillating in the audible region (mid bass, perhaps?) by switching the 3.5mm audio output back and forth from the y1 to the y2 while music was playing. Stopping the music did nothing, but a power cycle and it was OK again.

tried the power cycle a few times on mine. no dice. reflowed solder joints and still nothing. tapped into the line-out pins on the dac and still nothing. I did 'press on' the op amp with my finger (while looking for overheating chips) and some noise (white noise) went down a lot, so I thought it might be the opamp but not having audio from the dac chip, itself, made me think the problem was deeper.

I did not buy any chipquick or try fixing the board; I guess I just ditched it and went with a new one (non-beta board since my only board was one of the beta tester ones).

speaking of blowing parts, lately I'm ruining some IR detector modules for my remote controls. they also seem static sensitive or maybe my PSU is spiking when I plug and unplug things. I've ruined a good number of the vishay IR modules. very annoying! guess we have to be more careful with our parts (some are bullet proof but not all are)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back