Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Dec 22, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #1,157 of 2,154
Looks great! Congrats on a fine looking build. I am pretty excited myself, we had enough left over after family gifts that the wife is gifting me the parts for my Gamma 2 and I just placed the order with Mouser!!

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #1,159 of 2,154
I just got a y2 up and running, but have found a strange problem. USB and coaxial inputs are clear and sound great, but optical puts out a stuttering version of the music. It sort of pulses rapidly in and out. The optical works fine on the y1 output. It only occurs on the y2. Any ideas?

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #1,162 of 2,154
tacitapproval, your problem doesn't make sense indeed. All three input types (USB, coax and optical) gets routed through the CS8416 mux chip and gets converted into I2S, which then feeds both DACs (γ1's WM8501 and γ2's SRC4192/WM874x). If all inputs work on your γ1, then everything up to the I2S bus is working fine, as well as the WM8501. Since your coax and USB inputs also work fine on the γ2, then it shows that everything downstream of the I2S (including the SRC4192/WM874x) also works fine. There is nothing specific to the optical input that could fail from that point on.

I can't offer an explanation, other than perhaps when the toslink connection is causing physical stresses and purturbing a marginal solder joint somewhere between the γ1/ γ2 interconnect headers, or on the γ2 board itself...

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,163 of 2,154
Very strange, indeed. I will keep poking around. There must be an iffy joint somewhere, because I have had to restart the dac a few times after locking up while playing for a bit. The optical results have been consistent this way though.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,164 of 2,154
I found yet more strange behavior with the optical input. If I run asio the music is nearly intact, but with split second dropouts every second or two, whereas directsound produces more stutter than music. And, again, I can immediately switch the plug to the y1 out and everything is clear. I obviously haven't found the problem contact yet. I could live without the toslink, but the dac drops out sporadically on USB after playing flawlessly for a while. Arghh.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #1,165 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found yet more strange behavior with the optical input. If I run asio the music is nearly intact, but with split second dropouts every second or two, whereas directsound produces more stutter than music. And, again, I can immediately switch the plug to the y1 out and everything is clear. I obviously haven't found the problem contact yet. I could live without the toslink, but the dac drops out sporadically on USB after playing flawlessly for a while. Arghh.

I would look at JP1D pin. I bet that connection is iffy.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #1,167 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would look at JP1D pin. I bet that connection is iffy.

Nope, no luck with that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patch the optical output into the optical input and make sure it's not the source?

I don't have optical in/out on the source, but as I said, the optical works fine on the y1 out at the same time as it is hiccuping on the y2.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #1,168 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got my order from AMB Labs today!!! The panels are perfect, Merry Chistmas Ti...I hope you get everything you want this year.

x2. the FPE panels look much better in the flesh than the pics - perfect! as usual, super-duper speedy shipping and service. i can't wait to get started.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #1,169 of 2,154
Another one lives! A y1++ and Y2. Boy this thing sounds swell. Thank you Ti and Marshal, and proto testers for a wonderful little device. Everything works all input and outputs. Can't stop listening to it!!
Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone!

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #1,170 of 2,154
don't you hate it when you are in the middle of completing the BOM and the site tells you the item is out of stock
frown.gif

-NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR - LP2985AIM5-4.5

Alternative, guys?

Farnell is the only distributor in my country so anything from there is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back