Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Dec 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #1,126 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a hairdryer after dousing in alcohol. Not the best combo, but I got very clean boards and burnt fingers as a result.

I missed this on the first pass......

You've got to be really careful when using hairdryers or vacuum cleaners for cleaning electronics, computers etc. They can generate a LOT of static from the air movement through the hairdryer/vacuum itself.

Canned compressed air is MUCH better.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #1,127 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I missed this on the first pass......

You've got to be really careful when using hairdryers or vacuum cleaners for cleaning electronics, computers etc. They can generate a LOT of static from the air movement through the hairdryer itself.

Canned compressed air is MUCH better.

or a lighter
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #1,130 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask: later on, will there be a standalone y2 at a lower cost?

No, there is enough flexibility in the existing design to make a very bare-bones y2 already.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #1,131 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dean0, how about this?

I prolly should bite my tongue until I verify one of the transformers I ordered the other day fits but...

DSC00431.jpg

It is a little better looking then a run of the mill wall wart.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #1,132 of 2,154
Quote:

dean0, how about this?

thanks, looks like the best route for 'clean' power source, this may sound stupid, but what size dc-jack do I need?
MisterX I may have to copy you on that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #1,133 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prolly should bite my tongue until I verify one of the transformers I ordered the other day fits but...

It is a little better looking then a run of the mill wall wart.
very_evil_smiley.gif

what case did you use for that? is it the box enclosure that's 1.77" tall?

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #1,134 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, looks like the best route for 'clean' power source, this may sound stupid, but what size dc-jack do I need?
MisterX I may have to copy you on that!
smily_headphones1.gif

The DC jack on the DAC side is 1.3mm as specified in the γ1 BOM. On the
PSU side, you could use any panel-mount jack you want, or no jack at all (just a strain-relieved pigtail with plug, a la wallwart).

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #1,135 of 2,154
Just got out of the solder-cave, with a few things/points/conclusions:
1. Surface mount soldering is HARD!!

2. I don't think I received L3U, which was meant to come from AMB. An honest mistake I'm sure, Ti, what are the specifics (rating/part number) so I can go about sourcing a substitute in Australia.
smily_headphones1.gif
[would this work?]

3. My U2U (Texas Instruments SN74AHC1G08 (SOT23-5)) sourced from Farnell (#1105918), if I'm correct, does not have the correct 'leggings'. Instead of 3 pins on one side and 2 on the other to match the solder screen on the board, it only has 1 on one side and 2 on the other. What do I do?

Thanks in advance and thanks to all who made the project possible, I'm having great fun,
Matt

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #1,136 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Surface mount soldering is HARD!!

I find SMD soldering to be very inconsistent...... I had no problems at all PCM2707 chips on three y1's, but the SRC and DAC on the y2 were absolute hell to get right.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #1,137 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. I don't think I received L3U, which was meant to come from AMB. An honest mistake I'm sure, Ti, what are the specifics (rating/part number) so I can go about sourcing a substitute in Australia.
smily_headphones1.gif
[would this work?]

It looks like a small resistor, please check your packaging. Anyway, the 78F series inductor you list is too big to fit the board. The correct part is the 79F series. If the inductor is truly missing, contact me offline.

Quote:

3. My U2U (Texas Instruments SN74AHC1G08 (SOT23-5)) sourced from Farnell (#1105918), if I'm correct, does not have the correct 'leggings'. Instead of 3 pins on one side and 2 on the other to match the solder screen on the board, it only has 1 on one side and 2 on the other. What do I do?

Looks like Farnell sent you the wrong part.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #1,140 of 2,154
Quote:

Looks like Farnell sent you the wrong part.

Yeah I figured, time for another Farnell order.
L3000.gif

Also realised I'm missing a RCJ-041, that's my mistake though. And I don't foresee myself using Coaxial anytime soon.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back