Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Dec 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #1,111 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you install ASIO4All, install the "offline" portion. That way you can easily access the stuff for the y2.

Alternatively, you can use ASIO4All with your regular sound card, and when you play music, in your taskbar on the bottom right you'll see a green arrow, you can double click there.

mattcalf, I'm sure you can wait, but as the flux dries (maybe if you wait weeks) it will be a bit harder to come off, but not impossible. I have always done initial checks right after I have finished my soldering/casework without any adverse effects. And of course, the β22 was a different story, I took forever and great care with that one.

I instaled already the off-line settings too, I see there Gamma2, but when I start to play music from foobar, there is shown that USB Audio DAC is unavaible, what´s that ?

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #1,114 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it best to clean off flux as soon as possible (within reason) or is it alright if I don't clean it until I have completely finished soldering which might be over a 2-4 day period, as long as I clean it up before initial testing?

you can wait months.

in fact, I just did. finally bought some 99% iso alc. (kept forgetting to get this but been meaning to). the made-for specialty can spray removers work very well but are $15 a can! drug store alc. is cheap and I finally tried it. works very well (I rinse the whole board under hot water and then air-dry with compressed canned air so that no water is left on the board, even under chip legs).

the board looks brand new, now. and it had been 'fluxed up' for half a year, now
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #1,116 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can wait months.

in fact, I just did. finally bought some 99% iso alc. (kept forgetting to get this but been meaning to). the made-for specialty can spray removers work very well but are $15 a can! drug store alc. is cheap and I finally tried it. works very well (I rinse the whole board under hot water and then air-dry with compressed canned air so that no water is left on the board, even under chip legs).

the board looks brand new, now. and it had been 'fluxed up' for half a year, now
wink.gif

How long do you let it air-dry before applying power. I have wanted to wash the boards as you describe but with smd devices I am just a little worried about trapped water. I guess if you use compressed air and let it sit for a day it should be fine.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,117 of 2,154
I used a hairdryer after dousing in alcohol. Not the best combo, but I got very clean boards and burnt fingers as a result.

As for Wizik, let's see a screenshot of your output devices (where you choose DS, ASIO, etc). Also take a screenshot of your ASIO4All window. You have used ASIO4All before, right? Do you have the foo_out_asio.dll in your components folder?

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #1,118 of 2,154
sit for a day? you kidding me?

I spray it with canned air and its dry right then and there! if you LEAVE any water there, THAT is the problem. better to get it dry in the first 5 minutes, if you can.

I also avoid putting trimmer pots on the board if I'm going to alc/water clean it. same for screw terminals and things where there is metal to metal.

one of my first jobs, as a kid, was working at a hand-built pc board shop (early 80's). our *standard procedure* was to use acid flux (some liquid red stuff), do board touch-up (first process was a wave solder conveyor) and you had BETTER scrub off acid flux or it will eat thru things. we used soap and hot water and a scrub brush. just like a kitchen sink (similar setup). we had a drain rack (didn't use canned air back then) and once the boards were dry, we did some test and then shipped them onto the next manuf stage. it blew me away seeing circuit boards being washed and dried like dishes in a sink but apparently it worked for that guy, back then. and the boards were nice and clean when we were done with them.

after that, I got over my fear of water and circuit boards. just dry them well but its not hard to do nor should it take a long time.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,119 of 2,154
I can't understand why you would use water at all
confused.gif

My cleaning regime is a soft toothbrush and >99% isopropanol, with very gentle scrubbing. I keep it 'wet' with isopropanol to make sure everything stays dissolved, and slowly increase the amount that I splash on with the toothbrush. Excess is gently shaken off, I wipe everything down gently with a Kimpwipe, then air dry a few minutes. If there is still a white residue, I re-wash with more isopropanol.

Isopropanol has a much lower evaporation temperature than water, and will dry off very quickly in air. It is relatively non-conductive, and sufficiently pure stuff has low levels of salt contaminants that will absorb water from the air further down the track. Drying water is much more likely to leave stuff behind IMHO, unless you have access to really good double de-ionised stuff.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #1,122 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was never able to get all the residue off the board with just alcohol. but a hot stream of running water made quick work of it once the alc. loosened the debris.

as long as I shoot a lot of canned air at things, the result looks good enough to me.

Yeah my method is basically what Beefy does and I have never been able to get ALL the residue off and usually just say F@#$ it after a few washes, no will see it and I doubt I will have this part long enough for any problems to arise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #1,123 of 2,154
The secret is making sure things stay dissolved - a tip I got from TomB. Don't just slap some on and let it dry, but make sure it stays 'wet' with isopropanol. Rinse a lot once everything is dissolved, then get as much excess off before it dries.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,124 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a hairdryer after dousing in alcohol. Not the best combo, but I got very clean boards and burnt fingers as a result.

As for Wizik, let's see a screenshot of your output devices (where you choose DS, ASIO, etc). Also take a screenshot of your ASIO4All window. You have used ASIO4All before, right? Do you have the foo_out_asio.dll in your components folder?

Here is screenshot, everything looks OK, but when I click on play, nothing happens.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2381/gammaq.jpg

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,125 of 2,154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back