Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #904 of 2,154
It's working! Thanks everyone for the help and to Ti and Marshall for creating the DAC.

I started cleaning up the excess solder on pin 4 of the crystal and found it strange that no matter how clean it looked it still shorted with the ground. Looking at the schematic the pin 4 is the 3.3v so I checked the schematic for all the parts that were supplied with the 3.3v. Turns out that there was a bridge on the Wolfson DAC that I missed.

It sounds great and looks great! I love the compact form factor, it takes up a fraction of the space my Zhaolu does. The casing work was non existant (perfect for me as I hate drilling) and with the AMB panels it has a really nice look.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #905 of 2,154
fyleow, I am glad you found the problem. Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #906 of 2,154
Hey Ti and Marshall, I have seen that you sell the front and rear panel on AMB shop, is it engraved and drilled? and where can I get the rest of the chassis and how much it cost?

Another thing is: how is this DAC in comparision with other DACs which use the same Wolfson chip - like the Opus? or maybe Pico DAC?

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #908 of 2,154
Can someone aswer my comparision question please?

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #909 of 2,154
fyleow, that's terrific news! I know you will enjoy it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #910 of 2,154
pila405, I don't think many people will answer that because it's inappropriate to pitch one design against another like that around here. Not only that, "Opus" means different things to different people because it's only the DAC core. It does not include the other portions of the circuit (digital input receivers, ASRC, analog output filtering and buffering, etc) that would comprise an equivalence to a fully-equipped γ2 (which has some options of its own).

Rather than the subjectives, why not read the γ2 website for the technical info? If you're interested in how it "sounds", then you should listen to one with your own ears.

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #911 of 2,154
You are right. Sorry.
But unfortunately I can't listen to any until I buy it cause I live in Israel and don't think anyone here owns one...

I guess I can't fall on the wrong thing. So to the work - I have beta22+sigma22 and gamma2 to build!

Thanks.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #912 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1m80t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the y2 to be sound noticeable better than y1.

Good to see. I was wondering how much of an improvement there was. I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate further when you get the chance.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #913 of 2,154
OK, I am in the process of building a γ2 and have just reached a "decision stage" regarding the opamp. OPA2365's are not available at the moment, but I do have a AD8656. I will only be using line-out and have no intention of directly driving headphones.

I have not installed the components surrounding the opamp as yet so I can get the iron to it when I come to fit the chip.

So. I have two questions for anyone who can help:

1. Should I go ahead and fit the AD8656 and accept a possible lesser SQ?

2. If I decide to wait for the OPA2365's to return to stock, how do I test that the DAC is working? I have no 'scope.

Your comments/recommendations will be much appreciated.

Ken

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #914 of 2,154
Oct 31, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #915 of 2,154
MisterX, Thanks for that - I had already seen those refs. As far as the opamp is concerned, I think I am looking for something subjective - They may test identical, but how do they sound? If I commit to the AD8656, it will be difficult to roll to the OPA2365, so I want to fit the best from the start.

For example, which would you prefer sonically? - I assume you have compared both opamps.

Thanks - Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back