Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #826 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not build a TREAD?

second that opinion. lm317 is a perfect match as a front-end to a device that has its own regulators. 7805 is fine but 317 is quieter and slightly better and a tread style setup requires no expensive parts at all. its a good basic design and isn't at all overkill.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #827 of 2,154
Still can't get the ASRC chip (SRC4192I) to work! If I bypass it, all is good. As far as I can tell, U3, R1 and X1 are okay, and all voltages are pretty close to spec. I've purchased 2 SRC4192s from Mouser on two different occasions-what are the odds of my actually getting two defective ICs? Is this chip much more delicate than the others?

Suggestions welcomed. Foil traces on the PCB looked fine, and the only thing I could think of doing was trying a different supplier for the ASRC in hopes of getting a part from a different production run.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #829 of 2,154
Oct 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #832 of 2,154
Hi guys

New to this Gamma Dac. Would like to try it out.

I have some questions:

What is the total price for a gamma 1 + 2 build without casing, and is it possible to do without much experience in this field? - I have been soldering a bit, but not many exotic components tbh.

I have written an email to misterx in order to get a qoute on a build, but it seems as if they all go to his spam-filter for some reason - he dosen't reply..

Thanks for the help!

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #833 of 2,154
Are you sure it's not the other way around?
Roughly 10% of the inquiries I reply to are refused on the other end or end up in the senders spam folder.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #835 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it's not the other way around?
Roughly 10% of the inquiries I reply to are refused on the other end or end up in the senders spam folder.
wink.gif

Only mail i have received, that went into the junk folder, was from Lin Jgywypy titled "Lingerie Demons".. I seriously doubt is from you
biggrin.gif

If we need to go all private, i have allowed members from this site to write emails to me. You can just contact me via PM or email.

Thank you, Marshall.

Best regards, Troels

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #836 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anima87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys

New to this Gamma Dac. Would like to try it out.

I have some questions:

What is the total price for a gamma 1 + 2 build without casing, and is it possible to do without much experience in this field? - I have been soldering a bit, but not many exotic components tbh.

I have written an email to misterx in order to get a qoute on a build, but it seems as if they all go to his spam-filter for some reason - he dosen't reply..

Thanks for the help!

Someone asked before about a price, it's in thread somewhere.. check the last few pages of posts.

Also, if you read though the beginning of the thread there is some good info on SMD soldering (including a tutorial) as well as some "must have" tools to do it. I had only done a little SMD stuff before, but once I watched the tutorial, it wasn't so bad. Actually, doing the smaller components is the worst.. and I didn't really have the right tweezers. I had a couple of bad joints, but got them resolved pretty quickly.

If you take your time, you'll probably be able to do it yourself..

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #837 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone asked before about a price, it's in thread somewhere.. check the last few pages of posts.

Also, if you read though the beginning of the thread there is some good info on SMD soldering (including a tutorial) as well as some "must have" tools to do it. I had only done a little SMD stuff before, but once I watched the tutorial, it wasn't so bad. Actually, doing the smaller components is the worst.. and I didn't really have the right tweezers. I had a couple of bad joints, but got them resolved pretty quickly.

If you take your time, you'll probably be able to do it yourself..

Hi Slim

Thanks for the reply.

I am much like James May from top gear - i like spending time doing my projects, and don't mind it taking my time. I would just hope that the documentation is a bit better than the schematic, as i don't find it very easy to read. However, the board layout helps somewhat.

I need to check how to insert each component, as it now something i do often, and i do not work with.. but i like it on a hobby plane.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #838 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anima87
I would just hope that the documentation is a bit better than the schematic, as i don't find it very easy to read.

Anima87, have you looked at the official γ2 and γ1 websites?

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #839 of 2,154
I just finished my Y2 and I must say I am very happy with the way it sounds. I have it matted with a Y1 full ++, great job guy's thanks for the out standing kits.

Frank

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #840 of 2,154
FYI. Mouser is currently out of stock of the Wima 505-FKP2100/100/2.5 polypropylene film caps until December. You can use 505-FKP2100/100/5 as substitute. It has 5% tolerance instead of 2.5%, but the difference is negligible (the LPF response is way above audio range anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back