Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Oct 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #811 of 2,154
Im having trouble finding a 5v supply of good quality. Ive found like 4 from old cell phones that have the right cable end. However they are all like 5.5-5.7v when measured. Would it be easy to just make one? All i want is a normal linear regulated unit. I have a wall wart case and the cable.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #815 of 2,154
A σ11 can provide 5V.
evil_smiley.gif

Remember in you search that you're dealing with the PSRR of the regulators and then how much noise the regulator itself generates. You could drive yourself nuts to get an ultra quiet supply only to be adding noise with the TPS reg.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #818 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember in you search that you're dealing with the PSRR of the regulators and then how much noise the regulator itself generates. You could drive yourself nuts to get an ultra quiet supply only to be adding noise with the TPS reg.

True, but the regs specified for the DAC have some pretty good noise figures for fixed regulators:
LP2985AIM5-4.5 30uV
TPS79333DBVR 32uV
So, you want to be at least that quiet if you're going to go all out with the PS. The ripple rejection of the regs is not so great at higher frequency, and that is something I think you can improve upon. I use an "optimized" LM317 supply with RC filtering with my gamma-1. You can read about ideas for improving the LM317 at:
Using 3-pin regulators off-piste: part 1
Simple Voltage Regulators Part 1: Noise - [English]
and in the Bob Pease book "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" available here:
Amazon.com: Troubleshooting Analog Circuits (EDN Series for Design Engineers) (9780750694995): Robert Pease: Books

Whether or not you can _hear_ a difference with a better supply is unclear, but DIY is all about overkill, right?
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #819 of 2,154
Let's use my example:

The σ11 is very low noise - 12µV per amb. Now take a look at the datasheet for the TPS regs. It only states output noise for the TPS79328 @ full output, but it is spec'ed at 32µV best case. So you are dealing with the fact that the on-board regulators are adding noise to the line.

So you can supply super clean DC to the board and your ultimate limit on noise is the on-board local regulators.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #820 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by grenert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but the regs specified for the DAC have some pretty good noise figures for fixed regulators:
LP2985AIM5-4.5 30uV
TPS79333DBVR 32uV
So, you want to be at least that quiet if you're going to go all out with the PS. The ripple rejection of the regs is not so great at higher frequency, and that is something I think you can improve upon. I use an "optimized" LM317 supply with RC filtering with my gamma-1. You can read about ideas for improving the LM317 at:
Using 3-pin regulators off-piste: part 1
Simple Voltage Regulators Part 1: Noise - [English]
and in the Bob Pease book "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" available here:
Amazon.com: Troubleshooting Analog Circuits (EDN Series for Design Engineers) (9780750694995): Robert Pease: Books

Whether or not you can _hear_ a difference with a better supply is unclear, but DIY is all about overkill, right?
wink.gif

When you're building one, overkill is good.
biggrin.gif

The datasheet only spec's noise on the TPS79328, not the TPS79333. We can hypothesize or measure, but it is not on the datasheet.

Dual secondary transformer with separate regs supplying 3.3V and 5V bypassing the on-board regs?

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #821 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The σ11 is very low noise - 12µV per amb.

That was measured on a σ11 with 30V output, which runs its error amp at 2.5x gain. For 5V output, the gain is 1x, so expect even lower noise.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #825 of 2,154
Has anyone found SQ differences among the different outputs? ie. coax, optical, usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back