Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Oct 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #796 of 2,154
Ok, I've checked the γ2 and γ1++ parts list against a Mouser and Farnell order, as well as, nattonrice's BOM.
smily_headphones1.gif

AU$201 (total) for my mouser order and AU$68 (total) for my farnell order, mouser includes a $75 soldering station.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've listed everything according to which build they belong to so I feel very organized.

Will contact AMB about my order from his shop soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #797 of 2,154
Actually it is fordgtlover's bom so all credit goes to him.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #798 of 2,154
Well i just finished upgrading my gamma lite to a gamma 2.
Amps are a ckIII and a few commercial pocket amps.
Cans are grado 60's and q40's

With tracks with very few instruments and only 1 male voice its hard to tell the diff. However once you get into some female vocals, higher pitched drums and cymbals it really shines. When i built my gamma1 i thought it was revealing how bad my 192k mp3s were. Now with the gamma2 they are not harsh at all. All symbolance (sp) is gone. When i get a track with both male and female, and they are perfectly in sync, i can still tell them easily apart.

This is definitely worth the $100 upgrade over the gamma1. My setup was the non headphone amp, Nichicon muse es, Roederstein bypass.

for the gamma1 it was stock wimas, and Silmic II.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #799 of 2,154
I've got the Gamma 2 (mostly) up and running! My ASRC was no good, and until it's replacement arrives, I've got it bypassed. Even so, it seems like quite an improvement over the Gamma 1, or the analog output of my old NAD 502. Even without upsampling or the low-jitter crystal, redbook audio sounds "higher res" to me, individual instruments are easily separated, and easily get in-your-face if they're recorded that way.

The switchable filters are pretty interesting, but probably didn't need to be switchable:

"A" sounds crispest to me, though I thought it also added a recessed, hollowed-out quality to the sonics.

"B" sounds richest overall. Might also seem like the least-detailed at first, but it's the most coherent and fleshed-out. Set it here and leave it!

"C" sounds like a compromise between "A" and "B", though it seems to add a "pinched" quality to vocals that I don't much care for. If it were a digital photograph, I'd say it was oversharpened.

Would love to know how the Y2 compares to today's popular commercial products like the Grace 902, Benchmark, upcoming Wadia i-product etc.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #800 of 2,154
Seems like another person is thinking B stands for BEST
smily_headphones1.gif

I should have just saved the 7 bucks and not installed the switches, and just set to B and anticlip.

In other news, can i have 2 sources on the gamma 2 at the same time as long as they are 50k or so sources each? Im building mine with an internal mini3 with a 50k pot but kinda wanted an out too. My next choice would be to use a switched TRS connector for output, so it goes to the mini3 with nothing plugged in, and goes out if something is plugged in. But that adds resistance vs a direct solder job.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #801 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like another person is thinking B stands for BEST
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems that my preferred setting is currently causing a rolloff at around 14 khz! Will have to re-evaluate once I have the new ASRC chip installed.

For now, mine sounds best with Anti-Clip set to "off": Besides being slightly louder, it's also more forward and seems to have more drive. Will find out of this still holds true with the ASRC in place soon enough.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #802 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole
In other news, can i have 2 sources on the gamma 2 at the same time as long as they are 50k or so sources each?

I think you really meant to have 2 loads on γ2's output. Yes, you can drive 2 or more loads at the same time. γ2 has low output impedance and enough output current capability to do this, as long as they're not all low-Z headphone loads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4season
It seems that my preferred setting is currently causing a rolloff at around 14 khz! Will have to re-evaluate once I have the new ASRC chip installed.

Yep, without ASRC, any filter setting other than "C" will cause a rolloff with -3dB point at around 14KHz if your source material sampling rate is 44.1KHz or 48KHz. See the "tech highlights" section of the γ2 website. With ASRC, however, all filter settings give you extended response to well beyond the audio band.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #803 of 2,154
The Gamma2 is a definite upgrade from the Gamma1. It's a very "liquid" sound, almost like the headphones disappear. Even paired with a mini3 it's a satisfying setup. I'm not in any real hurry now to heat the room up with a beta22, although I will one day.

A few pictures of the three amigos.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #805 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet build CodeToad!

Good to see that you're happy with AMB lineup (Mini3), as I'm hoping to go for a M3+γ2 combo.
smily_headphones1.gif

So excited.

That is a really good combo (I'm listening to it now)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #806 of 2,154
Quote:

Yep, without ASRC, any filter setting other than "C" will cause a rolloff with -3dB point at around 14KHz if your source material sampling rate is 44.1KHz or 48KHz.

Image removed.
The easy fix is to jumper the OSR pins

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #807 of 2,154
I don't know the full ramifications of mucking with the OSR pin yet. This is something that I wanted to experiment with but had not found a chance to do it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back