Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Jul 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #106 of 2,154
In my experience, albeit limited, you don't have to have a fancy no-clean flux pen. This one worked perfectly for me: Surface Mount Rework Flux Pen - Jaycar Electronics

I just cleaned the board when i was done with several rinses of 100% isopropyl alcohol and very gentle work with a soft toothbrush.

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #107 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifthanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and a special hint from someone, that butchered his 100% diy opus and got perfect smd joints on the gamma1: get a pen with liquid no clean flux.. its worth at least three times the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

X10

I butchered the pcm2702 on my first alien dac.. took me maybe 20 minutes, and eventually fried it. I got perfect joints after getting a flux pen.. about 25seconds to solder the pcm onto my first bantam, and 15 seconds for the second and third one. Tweezers and a reasonably fine chisel tip helps as well.
I got all three at mouser.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #108 of 2,154
Am in 2000% agreement on the flux and would suggest the bottle with the needle applicator that Tangent has on his site works even better than the pen.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #109 of 2,154
I grown tired of using my flux pen, I just can't get flux to come out (and I still have a decent amount) and the tip's worn out, often making a massive mess, and is overall a pain to use. But regardless, flux is awesome to have around! I would like to try the one Tangent sells one day...

Anyways, I wanted to do a point-to-point version of the balanced -> single-ended stage for my Opus, and need to make sure the wiring's okay: clicky. It's probably a lot more trouble than it's worth, but we'll see...

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #111 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I grown tired of using my flux pen, I just can't get flux to come out (and I still have a decent amount) and the tip's worn out, often making a massive mess, and is overall a pain to use. But regardless, flux is awesome to have around! I would like to try the one Tangent sells one day...

I have used a bottle like the one Tangent sells. It is very nice as you can apply a very limited amount of flux.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #112 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the jist of it. Are you using the circuit on the right? From where did you find it?

It's part of the schematics on the first page, second post, I just copy and pasted it so it's easier to compare.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #113 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, albeit limited, you don't have to have a fancy no-clean flux pen. This one worked perfectly for me: Surface Mount Rework Flux Pen - Jaycar Electronics

I use the exact same one! It's very easy to control how much flux you apply.
Thou I really want a little squeezy bottle like tangent sells as it looks even better... I wonder if you can get a similar product in au?

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #114 of 2,154
Fry's Electronics stores sell liquid flux in bottles with a small brush built-into the cap. I use that now and it works great.

Flux pens also work well, but only when they're new. The flux tend to dry up at the tip, clogging the flow (even when there is plenty left inside). Working the tip sometimes works to get it started again, sometimes not, or you might suddenly unleash too much flux... making a sticky mess.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #116 of 2,154
Can't say I have ever left a flux pen unattended long enough for the tip to dry out.

As much as I hate to sound ungrateful...I threw the bottle of flux I got from Tangent (for free) away after using less then a quarter of it because the solvent had evaporated to the point where it was a exercise in frustration to try use it.

Maybe something like one of those "General" pen oilers is a more suitably sized container for novice DIYers?

8580573.jpg

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #118 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the pens are cheap enough to not worry too much about drying. By the way, where do you get that solder melting stuff from? I'd like to get some for my mista.. erm , chip rolling
wink.gif

chipquik? I think mouser stocks them

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #119 of 2,154
Digi-key (#SMD1-ND) or maybe at Fry's if you have one near by (# 2644632)

BTW the flux that comes with that kit is kinda neat because it's tacky but I dunno about the smell.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #120 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say I have ever left a flux pen unattended long enough for the tip to dry out.

I meant over the course of several months, not in a single soldering session...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back