Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #706 of 2,154
I just finished building my y1 Full, I've tested the USB side and it checks out, now I need to test the other side. But since I'm building a y2 to go with it I don't want to break them apart to plug them into each other. Can I just populate the headers on the y2 board and plug it into y1? I read in the thread it'll work for full++ I assume it's the same for just the Full config? Or is my better option to use wiring and connect the two together ala y1 full++ on amb.org?

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #708 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just in case anybody is wondering.... you can just pull the "pin" out of the 3 pin receptacles amb is offering in his shop and trim the extra plastic off with an X-acto knife, which I find is a little easier then breaking the strips from Mouser apart.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case anyone is confused, MisterX is referring to modifying the 3P receptacle to make it 2P (for use as J3), needed when the matching γ1 is a Full (A), S/PDIF only (E) or Full++(F) configuration.

Trimming the extra plastic off is indeed optional.
smily_headphones1.gif

(just pulling out the extra pin is enough)

And...
Since the Box enclosures do not come with them, do you think it would be a good idea to add some stick on feet to the parts list?
(Mouser # 517-SJ-5312CL for example)

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #709 of 2,154
I say yes. I was lucky to have extra 3M bumpons from Radioshack lying around. Don't want the bottom all scratched up, especially since the cases are packaged so nicely.

What would happen if the ASRC receives a 192KHz stream? Does it get downsampled to 96KHz?

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #713 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would happen if the ASRC receives a 192KHz stream? Does it get downsampled to 96KHz?

Yes, it would. That's actually not as bad as it seems. We could have made the upsampling to 192KHz but the DAC's digital filters perform better at 256*fs than at lower master clock rates, but 256*fs isn't available for 192KHz (see WM8741 datasheet).

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #714 of 2,154
Hi All,

Is there any sacrifice in quality/features by going with the AD8656? I think it's a cool feature to have the unit drive headphones, but definitely not if it's going to compromise the sound in any way for my line-level stuff.

Is there a consensus out there for which of the two op-amps delivers the best sound?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #715 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixeljedi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any sacrifice in quality/features by going with the AD8656? I think it's a cool feature to have the unit drive headphones, but definitely not if it's going to compromise the sound in any way for my line-level stuff.

IMO there is no sacrifice going with either. Their measured performance are very similar and both sound great. Like all things opamp, it all boils down to preference (of course, direct low-Z headphone drive capability tilts the choice toward AD8656).

To drive low-Z headphones you'd need to use 470uF output caps, which restricts your choice to just the Nichicon KW or FW. I think this factor far outweighs the opamp choice. I happen to think that the KW sounds pretty good, but YMMV.

Quote:

Is there a consensus out there for which of the two op-amps delivers the best sound?

Consensus on "opamp sound"? Not likely...
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #717 of 2,154
hi,

i want to make the analog output level a little bit higher,but i don't know how to change the gain,could anyone tell me ? i also want to know will changing gain affect performance very much if power supply voltage is not taken into account?

thanks,

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #718 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dg3f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want to make the analog output level a little bit higher,but i don't know how to change the gain,could anyone tell me ? i also want to know will changing gain affect performance very much if power supply voltage is not taken into account?

I don't think you can do that. It already swings rail to rail so I'm sure you will get clipping if you increased the gain.

Can I ask why you want to? Unless you are running your volume controls at zero attenuation, then you should be able to get enough volume shouldn't you?

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #719 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can do that. It already swings rail to rail so I'm sure you will get clipping if you increased the gain.

Can I ask why you want to? Unless you are running your volume controls at zero attenuation, then you should be able to get enough volume shouldn't you?

i want to build a my own modified desktop version gamma-2 with higher supply voltage and use some other opamp that can be powered with about +-12v as filter and analog output along with diamond buffer so that can drive both low and high impendance headphones

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #720 of 2,154
Good luck with that. The whole y2 is designed around using USB power.

Perhaps you should look into other designs that better suit your needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back