Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #661 of 2,154
you're not able to listen for more than an hour at a time? huh?

(I'm kidding)

wink.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #662 of 2,154
So, I have music on the right side of the y2. Looking further into the mechanical connection between the boards, I tried hard soldering a lead to replace the socket I was using on J3. This exposed a connection problem there. Unfortunately, the left side is silent. Closer, but ughhh, I made a mess of things.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #665 of 2,154
Now, it could be your opamp, your DAC, or the soldering of your components (resistors, caps, etc) from the DAC to output. Judging from your solder joints, it may simply be a bad connection. Reflow your legs one last time, maybe it's just a contact issue.

What solder/flux did you use? They all seem cold and corroded.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #667 of 2,154
The solder is just Radio Shack rosin core and I'm using Goot liquid flux. I think the picture I posted is not the best quality. It doesn't look that bad in person (except for the mess around U4, but that is now gone). I will though go through everything one more time, just to make sure one more time.

If that doesn't resolve it. I guess I will take linuxworks advice. I suppose I can salvage all the through-hole parts and start fresh on the smt.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #668 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The solder is just Radio Shack rosin core and I'm using Goot liquid flux. I think the picture I posted is not the best quality. It doesn't look that bad in person (except for the mess around U4, but that is now gone). I will though go through everything one more time, just to make sure one more time.

If that doesn't resolve it. I guess I will take linuxworks advice. I suppose I can salvage all the through-hole parts and start fresh on the smt.

You did a pretty good number to U4 and the pads near the opamp looks like they took some damage to.

Most of the through hole parts (resistors, and cheaper caps) are not worth the effort to salvage. The higher priced caps and switches, jacks, do salvage though.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #669 of 2,154
I have been working on Frontpanel Express panels for my Gamma 2 prototype. I will send the Frontpanel Express files to anyone who wants them once I have gotten my order and made sure everything fits, but obviously I will not guarantee that everything is correct and you use them at your own risk. I have posted my design so far below for comments and concerns - anything look grossly wrong? Anything missing? Any ideas as to what to put in the space below all the business on the back panel?

The two panels together come to $52.11 plus shipping at the moment. I didn't do any kind of engraving infill because it adds $18 to the cost and it's easy enough to do myself with Testors paint.

Also, to echo AMB's comments above, this will ONLY work for the prototype Y2, not the production boards. Among other things, it looks like the filter select and anti clipping switches have switched places.

As a side note, I set up the Gamma 1 output to drive headphones and left the Gamma 2 output as standard, so that's why they're labeled that way - if anyone wants the files and wants to change that, it's as easy as double-clicking on the text and writing something else in.

y2fpe.jpg

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #670 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, to echo AMB's comments above, this will ONLY work for the prototype Y2, not the production boards. Among other things, it looks like the filter select and anti clipping switches have switched places.

Not only did the two switches swap places, their toggle directions have also been reversed in the production version. Also, the locations of the switches and the rear output jacks have shifted a bit.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #671 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

y2fpe.jpg

You have "SPDIF" on the front and "S/PDIF" on the back. Minor but I would change the front one to "S/PDIF".

Cheers,
- Henrik

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #673 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the Crystek crystal, is the top metal housing supposed to have a connection to pin 2/GND?

Yes.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #674 of 2,154
It turns out that I do have sound on the left side as well. It is just much quieter than the right side.

Would this indicate the opamp, or does it not narrow it down between it and the DAC?

Edit: Actually, it is a mono signal that comes through both channels, but is louder on the right. It may be time to start afresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back