gaming with headphones
Apr 23, 2006 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
so i love headphones (of course
smily_headphones1.gif
), and i'm thinking to myself, welll i spent all this on a sexy headphone setup, why do i use my crappy speakers for gaming? now i just play xbox360. what i'm really curious about is:
-integration with online voice usage
-how good headphones are compared to a 5.1 speaker setup? i.e. i know that i cannot get true 5.1 through my dac, but how's the surround-feeling with headphones?

i have akg k701's, and i'm getting a zhaolu dac2 with upgraded headamp. so that would be my setup. what i'd need i guess is to have all the speach of each game coming through my "speakers" (headphones), and just use the mic of the headset, maybe rig it up to clip on my phones or something, that would be ghetto but fun
smily_headphones1.gif

i know halo2 has the option i believe of allowing me to get all sound and speach through my speakers, but i'm not sure if other games do. of course this concern is only for online games

i'm curious what the imaging would be like with headphones. of course since there are single drivers i guess i can't imagine there'd be a real "surround" experience, and it might hurt my in online multiplayer, but i know i love the intamacy and directness of playing pc games with headphones.

thanks

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Headphones are a blessing for me when I play Battlefield 2 online. I don't know how I managed to play without them. You are right when you say the experience becomes more intimate. The headphones I use seem to do a good job with imaging and placement. I can hear people all around me, footsteps of someone coming up behind me, etc.

I can't play without headphones anymore. I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but my play in BF2 started to improve right around the time I went to headphones. It might have something to do with me changing my playing style from "Mr. Take One for the Team" to "Mr. I'm going to do what I think is right."

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Headphones are a blessing for me when I play Battlefield 2 online. I don't know how I managed to play without them. You are right when you say the experience becomes more intimate. The headphones I use seem to do a good job with imaging and placement. I can hear people all around me, footsteps of someone coming up behind me, etc.

really? even with just stereo? that's good news! i hope it will be the same with the xbox360 feeding my dac toslink. i'm sure it will sound divine. so excited!!

do you have a mic on your desk? i'm starting to brainstorm how to hook one up to my phones, as i'm certainly not buying mic-ed phones. super cool.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 7
Gaming with headphones is the only way to go. You get better positioning, better sound (*for most of us at least*), and you don't annoy your neighbors.

I couldnt go back to speakers.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I've been "gaming" with headphones for years... It's the way to go.

I'd say get a desktop mic. I talk with my friends on Teamspeak every day and no complaints. If for whatever reason the desktop mic doesn't work out I'd suggest a clip on mic (like what they use on TV etc.) Having a boom mic is not a neccessity in my oppinion.

Enjoy your new found love. Gaming with headphones is the only way to go!

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
really? even with just stereo? that's good news! i hope it will be the same with the xbox360 feeding my dac toslink. i'm sure it will sound divine. so excited!!

do you have a mic on your desk? i'm starting to brainstorm how to hook one up to my phones, as i'm certainly not buying mic-ed phones. super cool.

I purchased a headphone/mic combo (some Altec Lansing piece of junk) a while back, but the headphones were super UN-comfortable. I use the mic portion of it by just wearing it around my neck. It works pretty well as I use my DT 770s for my headphones.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 7
I game with my K240S and a 99 cent desk mic I have attached to my moniter. Works great, and the cheap mic is all I need for teamspeak/counterstrike anyways. I do like my 5.1 for games too though, huge soundstage, even bigger than the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back