Gaming upgrade from K7XX? (K712? Something else)
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JakiChan

Head-Fier
My K7XXs died, and I tried to fix them but failed. They're only $200, so whatever, I could buy another pair but I'm wiling to try something better that's not $1500. Is there something in the $500 range that is an upgrade from the K7XX that is also well suited for gaming? I prefer the open soundstage of an open-backed can. They will be driven by an m9xx so power shouldn't be an issue.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 12
If you want that soundstage, it's rather hard to beat unless you look at the Argons. DT880 (600ohm) would be a good choice as well, but it depends on the game.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 12
My K7XXs died, and I tried to fix them but failed. They're only $200, so whatever, I could buy another pair but I'm wiling to try something better that's not $1500. Is there something in the $500 range that is an upgrade from the K7XX that is also well suited for gaming? I prefer the open soundstage of an open-backed can. They will be driven by an m9xx so power shouldn't be an issue.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X), should cover your FPS gaming needs.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 12
An upgrade in sound doesn't require an increased price point.
An example for the different perception is, that many would like the sound of K612 more instead of K712.
It's all subjective in audio.
Why not going with a cheaper set with better/ another sound?
The best advice is to try them yourself, imho. :wink:

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 12
An upgrade in sound doesn't require an increased price point.
An example for the different perception is, that many would like the sound of K612 more instead of K712.
It's all subjective in audio.
Why not going with a cheaper set with better/ another sound?
The best advice is to try them yourself, imho. :wink:

Because the time and effort of returning or reselling a bunch of low cost cans ain’t worth it.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 12
How is that an upgrade? It's half the price, for one thing - which makes me skeptical.
For headphones that are good for FPS gaming, price is not really an issue.
Going with higher priced headphones is more about better music quality and I guess better sound for movies.

If you bought a used AD-700(X), you could spend the rest of your audio budget for a headphone more dedicated to music.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 12
For headphones that are good for FPS gaming, price is not really an issue.
Going with higher priced headphones is more about better music quality and I guess better sound for movies.

If you bought a used AD-700(X), you could spend the rest of your audio budget for a headphone more dedicated to music.

So you're suggesting that the AD-700(X) is *better* at Destiny 2/FPS/general gaming than the K7XX is?

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 12
So you're suggesting that the AD-700(X) is *better* at Destiny 2/FPS/general gaming than the K7XX is?
I'm not sure the AD700(X) is better, but the AD700(X) has always gotten positive reviews from FPS gamers.
But the AD700X is one option.
My Beyerdynamic T90 might be considered good for FPS gaming and they sound nice :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 12
The AD700X might be a bit better suited to sound whoring than the K7XX in that they are more bass-light and a bit more neutral. Whether they are in practical application more articulate at imaging and separation varies depending on who you speak to.

If you already like the sound of the K7XX though, I'd just get another pair of those. Even were you to find the AD700X to be better for soundwhoring they will be still be drier, less fun / immersive than the K7XX for non-competitive gaming, movies and multimedia. Moreover, the AD700X does not have a detachable cable so if you broke it through stepping/yanking on it by accident then you'd be stuck with dud cans unless you were able/willing to fix the cable yourself or pay someone else to do it for you.

Besides, IMHO, once you get to the K7XX price-range, your price/performance ratio really starts to devolve into the realms of diminishing returns anyway.
For example, I have the Sennheiser HD800S (and also the K7XX). In the context of multimedia entertainment (gaming, movies, TV) are they better than the K7XX?
Yes. And for some, they will be worth the thousand bucks plus additional expenditure. . . But are they 5 - 6 times better as per the comparative ratio in price? Nowhere close. Not even sure they're twice as good . . . (Basically, I got them at around 30% off trending market price in a flash sale. Unexpected business meant by the time I had a chance to fully try them out, the return window had closed. I wasn't too disappointed as I do like / rate them and I don't regret the purchase, but I wouldn't do it again, not for my needs/usage).

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
For the record, I found a decent deal on the K712s on Amazon and was curious enough to try them vs the K7XX. (Among other things, I kinda like the burnt orange colorway.) So far they seem to match the comparisons I've read before, but I am thinking they might be a bit harder to drive than the K7XX. My m9xx on my Mac is turned up a bit higher than usual (high 80s/low 90s vs low 80s) to get what feels like a similar volume, but that could just be my imagination.

Edit: Also, I was using the K553s as my "backup" gaming/computer cans. Wow, I can't believe I went without the K7?? for so long. Such a huge difference.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 12
For the record, I found a decent deal on the K712s on Amazon and was curious enough to try them vs the K7XX. (Among other things, I kinda like the burnt orange colorway.) So far they seem to match the comparisons I've read before, but I am thinking they might be a bit harder to drive than the K7XX. My m9xx on my Mac is turned up a bit higher than usual (high 80s/low 90s vs low 80s) to get what feels like a similar volume, but that could just be my imagination.
Edit: Also, I was using the K553s as my "backup" gaming/computer cans. Wow, I can't believe I went without the K7?? for so long. Such a huge difference.

The AKG K7XX and K712 are both 62-Ohms, so should really use the same amount of voltage, for the same amount of volume.

What's your opinion on the K553?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back