Gaming Sound Recommendations for < $500
Nov 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BeyerMonster

100+ Head-Fier
I've been spending more time gaming with a headset recently and I'm looking for some upgrade recommendations.

Anything with a package price (since I might need an amp) under $500 is game, but ideally under $300. Not interested in DIY because I don't have the free time.

This is purely for gaming (Mostly RTS and single player games + voice chat). I won't be listening to music at all, but I do enjoy hearing game music/sounds in its full glory.
Any kind of full size cans that can be comfortable for 4+ hours works. This is all in a relatively quiet home environment (not a dorm room), so I don't need closed/sealed cans, but I wouldn't exclude them. No IEMs.

The forums seem to recommend using a Zalman MIC with a good set of cans. A one-piece headset would be ideal, but the Beyer MX330 looks way too expensive for what it is. I don't want to pay for a USB audio card when I've got an Asus Xonar DX already.

My current setup is a $20 Plantronics Headset with a receiver and bookshelves, but I get too much noise bleeding into the mic.

I have some pretty good headphones already(in my sig), but they're for listening to music at work.

Anything too far down the quality scale isn't going to cut it. Is there anything I would be happy with or should I just spend my budget on new sealed cans for work and use my DT-831s?

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 7
Wanted to add that I find the Beyer DT 831s very comfy, but found my old Sony MDR-V600s would get pretty warm.

Have been reading a lot of the other threads, but missed that the Audio Technica AD-series (open)  and A-series (closed) were different until now, hehe. So I guess I need to reread those threads.

Preference is for neutral sounding cans over "full" bass which usually means overemphasis.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 7
For gaming, I wouldn't invest much. I say this because the audio quality in games are not that great.
From my own experience and FWIR, I would recommend the sennheiser hd 595.
You can go higher in price, you just better get the best neutral can in your price range.

If you really want and headset (meaning built-in mic), the sennheiser pc 360 is regarded to be the sennheiser hd 555 with a great mic.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 7
The Audio Technica AD700 sounds interesting, but I was worried about comfort/fit due to their strange headband. 20+ complaints about fit/fitment on Amazon and quite a few from people that say they have an "average" sized head. Do the AD700/AD900 fit pretty much the same?

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 7
i have the AD700 and the fit on my "freakishly large head" (as my friends would say) really well. I have heard that people say they are some of the most comfy headphones around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back