Gaming setup, what to choose?
Oct 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

helderfof

New Head-Fier
Im an owner of an Imac 27 late 2012, with Sennheiser HD 555 headphones.

I mainly play a lot of Counter Strike, and I also hear some music and films, but definitely the main objective its perfect sound in game with perfect positioning.

Im getting new headphones, and my choice will probably be the AKG K702, based on Mad Lust Envy's reviews
What I want to know is if my Imac will use the full potentional of this headphones, if I connect them directly on the optical port of the Imac.

I have been searching for external sound cards and DAC's and also headphone amp's, but I cant really decide what to choose.

Since I cant change my imac internal sound card, what external sound cards or DAC's should I consider? Im also going to use the AKG K702 with Antlion mod mic.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Budget?

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 8
  What I want to know is if my iMac will use the full potentional of this headphones, if I connect them directly on the optical port of the iMac.

Do you mean plug the headphones into the headphone jack, the same jack that also works as an optical output?

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 8
  Around 350/400 more or less

Is that budget for the headphones or for an exteranl DAC/amp or total combined budget for headphone and DAC/amp?

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 8
  Do you mean plug the headphones into the headphone jack, the same jack that also works as an optical output?

Exactly, directly into the back of the Imac, on the optical out port

Is that budget for the headphones or for an exteranl DAC/amp or total combined budget for headphone and DAC/amp?

Only for the DAC/amp. I can spend a bit more if it justifies in terms of quality.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Audio engine D1, $170, comes with both a USB and optical input.

Currently I'm looking into getting a Audio-GD NFB15.32 external DAC/headphone amp.
$235, plus TCXO $20 upgrade, plus around $40 shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back