Gaming setup based on DT-880's?
Jul 9, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 28
Usually bassy headphones do best with gaming though. They give proper weight to explosions, for example. Or the right amount of rumble to engine noise in racing games.

Games usually don't have a layered soundtrack so it's pointless to use a refined headphone for gaming. All you really need is a headphone with a fast attack and oodles of bass, which the DT770 has.

Jul 9, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renzo
For starters, that $20 chaintech will not support anything higher than EAX 2.0. With EAX3.0/HD there is little need for that sound distorting CMSS-3D in games, even though it could be a little more difficult to pinpoint the sound if it's coming from front/behind.

Of course there are better soundcards for music only but there are zero cards capable of doing what X-Fi can do in games, with or without cmms-3d or EAX 3.0 or higher.

I'm not sure, you ever tried CMSS-3D with proper headphones. There is no distortion, which shouldn't be there. Of course even in real life, sounds that hit the hear from behind are a little distorted+fainter, which will be simulated by CMSS-3D. I'll agree with you, if you say it doesn't sound good with the DT 880s - probably because of their too vast soundstage. With the HD 595s it sounds absolutely stunning. Try Doom 4 with them and you will see...

Jul 9, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
I'm not sure, you ever tried CMSS-3D with proper headphones. There is no distortion, which shouldn't be there. Of course even in real life, sounds that hit the hear from behind are a little distorted+fainter, which will be simulated by CMSS-3D. I'll agree with you, if you say it doesn't sound good with the DT 880s - probably because of their too vast soundstage. With the HD 595s it sounds absolutely stunning. Try Doom 4 with them and you will see...

I've tried CMSS-3D with the following phones:
- DT880
- DT860
- DT250
- HD280pro
- uh, el-cheapo sony's

And with 5 pairs of speakers, 2 being computer system speakers aka "plastic boxes" and 2 being a bit better, the first is my own yamaha 2-way tower speakers (240w) and the second is some pair of 3-way speakers that came with a stereo system (150w) and the third is my mother's 3-way speakers she bought back in the day (250w). Not too fancy stuff, max ~400eur costing boxes but they are not supposed to be high-end hi-fi. This is also the reason I changed to headphones, getting really good sounding headphones you'll have to pay 1/10th of price of really good speakers...

In all cases, the sound will get distorted. Changing speaker type from 2/2.1 to headphones will change the sound somewhat when using CMSS-3D. Speaker type 2/2.1 with CMSS-3D will sound the best using either headphones or speakers. However it still sounds like a bit "tubish", like there is some echo or something similar and certain effects sound like their sample rate is lowered. Even speech get distorted and it sounds like you are speaking to a big metallic trash can, like a robot speech.

Since the effect affects all, game music, speech, sound effects I don't like it at all. It also feels like the soundstage gets a bit wider but that doesn't work for me in the games.

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

I've tried CMSS-3D with the following phones:
- DT880
- DT860
- DT250
- HD280pro
- uh, el-cheapo sony's

And with 5 pairs of speakers, 2 being computer system speakers aka "plastic boxes" and 2 being a bit better, the first is my own yamaha 2-way tower speakers (240w) and the second is some pair of 3-way speakers that came with a stereo system (150w) and the third is my mother's 3-way speakers she bought back in the day (250w). Not too fancy stuff, max ~400eur costing boxes but they are not supposed to be high-end hi-fi. This is also the reason I changed to headphones, getting really good sounding headphones you'll have to pay 1/10th of price of really good speakers...

In all cases, the sound will get distorted. Changing speaker type from 2/2.1 to headphones will change the sound somewhat when using CMSS-3D. Speaker type 2/2.1 with CMSS-3D will sound the best using either headphones or speakers. However it still sounds like a bit "tubish", like there is some echo or something similar and certain effects sound like their sample rate is lowered. Even speech get distorted and it sounds like you are speaking to a big metallic trash can, like a robot speech.

Since the effect affects all, game music, speech, sound effects I don't like it at all. It also feels like the soundstage gets a bit wider but that doesn't work for me in the games.

I'm not sure, but there seems to something wrong with your computer setup. With my setup, I cannot hear distortions of any kind. Everything is crisp and clean, when using CMSS-3D. It sounds in fact absolutely stunning. CMSS-3D has been confirmed to work very well by many sources.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
I'm not sure, but there seems to something wrong with your computer setup. With my setup, I cannot hear distortions of any kind. Everything is crisp and clean, when using CMSS-3D. It sounds in fact absolutely stunning. CMSS-3D has been confirmed to work very well by many sources.

Believe me when I say there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer setup. I have 15 years of experience in PC-hardware and over 20 years experience in computers in general. PC-hardware as being not only an hobby, it's also something I've worked with/for over 10 years.

It's not only my computer/X-fi that produces sound like this, I've heard it with every setup I've tested. X-Fi with CMSS-3D enabled sounds like Live! with eax2.0 enabled, which is like I described above in my post.

With EAX (version 3.0 or above) enabled X-Fi sounds great. With EAX+CMSS-3D-speakers enabled the sound will get sligthly distorted/muffled/whatever especially when playing rear sounds. With EAX+CMSS-3D-headphones enabled the sound is the most distorted.

You even said it yourself:
Quote:

Maybe due to their large soundstage they don't work at all with the X-Fi's CMSS-3D.

As you can see yourself, I've been trying to tell on this thread that that NONE of the combinations I've tried doesn't seem to be working with X-Fi's CMSS-3D.

These have been your statements so far for me and hypnolobster.
Quote:

I'm not sure you know, what you are talking about.

Quote:

I'm not sure, you ever tried CMSS-3D with proper headphones.

Quote:

I'm not sure, but there seems to something wrong with your computer setup.

You are not sure, but you seem to know better anyway?

Whatever, I have grown tired of this gnagging. Obviously nothing I say will make difference and you insist on being "right" and I'm being "wrong" since there's obviously something wrong with my setup even though you haven't been here hearing my setup. I won't bother replying again on this thread; Everyone can make their own opinions/conclusions according to the information I have provided.

Perhaps the HD595 is the secret here, but I highly doubt that.

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Believe me when I say there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer setup. I have 15 years of experience in PC-hardware and over 20 years experience in computers in general. PC-hardware as being not only an hobby, it's also something I've worked with/for over 10 years.

It's not only my computer/X-fi that produces sound like this, I've heard it with every setup I've tested. X-Fi with CMSS-3D enabled sounds like Live! with eax2.0 enabled, which is like I described above in my post.

With EAX (version 3.0 or above) enabled X-Fi sounds great. With EAX+CMSS-3D-speakers enabled the sound will get sligthly distorted/muffled/whatever especially when playing rear sounds. With EAX+CMSS-3D-headphones enabled the sound is the most distorted.

You even said it yourself:

As you can see yourself, I've been trying to tell on this thread that that NONE of the combinations I've tried doesn't seem to be working with X-Fi's CMSS-3D.

These have been your statements so far for me and hypnolobster.

You are not sure, but you seem to know better anyway?

Whatever, I have grown tired of this gnagging. Obviously nothing I say will make difference and you insist on being "right" and I'm being "wrong" since there's obviously something wrong with my setup even though you haven't been here hearing my setup. I won't bother replying again on this thread; Everyone can make their own opinions/conclusions according to the information I have provided.

Perhaps the HD595 is the secret here, but I highly doubt that.

I don't want to quarrel either. Let's just keep it down to you saying CMSS-3D distorts and me saying it doesn't (at least not with my HD 595). And that's that.

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I've used both with faming, A900 LTD and DT880, and I honestly don't see what's the big deal with using the A900 LTD. The DT880 does everything very well. To be honest, you're much better off considering other factors for gaming, because pretty much any headphone will do it right. For me, even though everything else does it right, it gets a bonus due to larger soundstage and a large field-like feeling. Are you really going to concentrate on minute details of bass / mids / treble in gaming? That, to me is highly unimportant (the tonal character), unless it's a pair of el cheapo cans with +50 db on a certain frequency range.

I mention the A900LTD simply as another option to the DT770 which I vastly prefer.

As for sonic preferences in gaming, why wouldn't I pay attention? I don't think you're giving many games a fair shake... games like World of Warcraft have a wonderful score, as do many RPGs I play. You may not need a vast soundstage for the RPGs, but I do like to hear the music done right, you know.

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 28
Well, I have the MG Head, tuberolled, with the DT-880's and have tried gaming for a bit. With my current tubes the DT-880's is a bit bright, but I find it to be extremely detailed. I am happy with it for gaming, overall. I think though that the treble peakiness of the DT-880's is noticable here, especially considering the nature of game sounds. Even for music certain recordings just sound 'too bright.' In this case I have to turn the volume down, but overall it's just fine. I don't use EAX or any other effects.

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #24 of 28
Okay I prefer the Senn 580's with this amp, so it's 580's for now and 650's for me down the line probably and that's what I'll be gaming with. Although other headphones have been mentioned I am looking for a music and gaming headphone and am using it with a tube amp, which limits my options (DT770's won't work well with tubes, for example.) So far the HD-580's have been the right choice for me with this amp for everything.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 28
For what its worth, CMSS 3D worths flawlessly on my rig. I'm using a HD595 as well

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #26 of 28
For the minimal gaming I do (UT2K4, Q3, Oblivion), the DT880 does just fine...but keep in mind on my setup I don't have an X-Fi, I use an EMU 0404, so I'm not really getting those "surround" effects. The main concern with the DT880 is they are open, and generally open/semi-open cans don't deliver the impactful bass people prefer when gaming. However, they are incredible headphones all around, and I'd still say go with what YOU want, not what other people think you should want. Point being: Any can near a $200 pricepoint will perform well in games.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
For the minimal gaming I do (UT2K4, Q3, Oblivion), the DT880 does just fine...but keep in mind on my setup I don't have an X-Fi, I use an EMU 0404, so I'm not really getting those "surround" effects. The main concern with the DT880 is they are open, and generally open/semi-open cans don't deliver the impactful bass people prefer when gaming. However, they are incredible headphones all around, and I'd still say go with what YOU want, not what other people think you should want. Point being: Any can near a $200 pricepoint will perform well in games.

I understand the point of going with a headphone you want to go with. However, saying "Any can near a $200 pricepoint will perform well in games" seems a little odd. That really depends on what you consider acceptable. I've tried a lot of headphones over $200 that were miserable for gaming purposes in comparison to a few headphones under $200.

Sort of like saying "any headphone over $100 is good for music." Well, OK, but many of them are going to be a lot better than others.

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I understand the point of going with a headphone you want to go with. However, saying "Any can near a $200 pricepoint will perform well in games" seems a little odd. That really depends on what you consider acceptable. I've tried a lot of headphones over $200 that were miserable for gaming purposes in comparison to a few headphones under $200.

Sort of like saying "any headphone over $100 is good for music." Well, OK, but many of them are going to be a lot better than others.

The main thing I notice about the DT-880's is that they have a very intimate, immersive feel and it seems almost too closed in for games. I prefer the speaker-like soundstage I get from the Senns. Also it is much less fatigueing - gunshots and explosion do get tiring after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back