Gaming or Music or both?
Nov 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

colon

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Tritton ax720's that I use for PC gaming but I also want to get a separate headset for listening to music on the go. I wanted to see how the Tritton ax720 compared to maybe a Sennheiser 555 or 595, so that I could also see if it would be worth keeping my "music" headphones for gaming as well and just get a clip on mic.

1. Will I notice a big difference?
2. Is it worth keeping my Tritton's?
3. Should I wait to get a better set of headphones altogether?

Thanks in advanced

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Ditch the Trittons for real headphones. For gaming and music you will never look back.

How much do you want to spend?

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Should I start by getting some Sennheiser 555's? or spend more and get a decent set of cans

Wait and get a really good pair of mid-tier headphones that are good for everything. Use a clip on mic for gaming.

If you need something new to just tide you over till you figure it out, get a pair of Panasonic HTF600's.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Should I start by getting some Sennheiser 555's? or spend more and get a decent set of cans

The 555s are great for gaming and music.  They'd definitely qualify as a "decent" set of cans in my book.

However, I noticed that you said you wanted headphones for "on-the-go" usage.  None of the phones listed so far are particularly good for listening to in public.  They're all open, which means that they leak sound (out and in) a lot.  On the other hand, they also have a larger soundstage than the vast majority of closed headphones, which is great for gaming and makes music sound more naturally spaced.

Also, you didn't say what kinds of music you listen to.  The Senns are fairly laid-back all-around phones.  They have good sound staging and a fairly balanced sound signature while the FA-011s are more bass-heavy and forward in the mids.

To answer the questions in your first post:

1. Almost definitely.  I would still try to audition one or two of the headphones on your list if there's an audio store nearby though.
2. Nope.
3. Coming from a gaming headset, the sub-$200 price bracket should have more than enough to satisfy you.  You don't really need to spend more than that.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The 555s are great for gaming and music.  They'd definitely qualify as a "decent" set of cans in my book.

However, I noticed that you said you wanted headphones for "on-the-go" usage.  None of the phones listed so far are particularly good for listening to in public.  They're all open, which means that they leak sound (out and in) a lot.  On the other hand, they also have a larger soundstage than the vast majority of closed headphones, which is great for gaming and makes music sound more naturally spaced.

Also, you didn't say what kinds of music you listen to.  The Senns are fairly laid-back all-around phones.  They have good sound staging and a fairly balanced sound signature while the FA-011s are more bass-heavy and forward in the mids.

To answer the questions in your first post:

1. Almost definitely.  I would still try to audition one or two of the headphones on your list if there's an audio store nearby though.
2. Nope.
3. Coming from a gaming headset, the sub-$200 price bracket should have more than enough to satisfy you.  You don't really need to spend more than that.

Well then I guess a pair of closed headphones? What would you recommend? Should I look into getting an amp?

Mainly listen to Electronica / Hip hop

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Only closed headphones I own are the Koss Pro DJ100, which I only use for listening to music at work, so I'm probably not the best source of closed headphone recommendations.

As for amps, a lot of it depends on what headphones you decide on.  Some don't need an amp to sound good, while others require it, and still others don't need one, but improve with amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back