Gaming: Music or Speakers
May 3, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
naw, it was a good typo.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do listen to music not related to the game on my headphones while I game.
biggrin.gif
who cares about ambushes when you are in audio bliss.
tongue.gif

zachary80, ayt999's right. You could have said: "Do you prefer to hear the game through your headphones or speakers?"
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 26
Speakers hands-down. The 360 degree soundfield is fatiguing with headphones, and detailed cans bring out the worst in compressed and hyped-up game audio. The lack of strong front/back imaging and visceral full-body bass is are other areas they fall flat.

May 3, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 26
I'm suprised no one's mentioned the double whammy... get some closed cans, and crank your speakers up. Or, better yet, just hook up the sub. I do that if there's no one around to bug me; that way, I get the BOOM, and the positioning.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 3, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SumB
Speakers hands-down. The 360 degree soundfield is fatiguing with headphones, and detailed cans bring out the worst in compressed and hyped-up game audio. The lack of strong front/back imaging and visceral full-body bass is are other areas they fall flat.

What do you play? Simcity?
rolleyes.gif

Speaker positioning SUX.

Sure you can hear him frag you from behind, but you wont hear him comming.
I agree with your reference to detailed cans though, that's why I dont use them, mainly because detailed cans dont position good period. "visceral full-body bass" is annoying and distracting. True headphones do lack "strong front/back imaging" but I can pin point their position with headphones better regardless of their position by simple moving a few degrees in either direction. You have to turn around anyway so why not get his position while turning. It's more accurate. More speakers = more confusion.

Headphones is like a wallhack compared to speakers IMO. It gives the user a HUGE advantage.

May 4, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn
What do you play? Simcity?
rolleyes.gif

Speaker positioning SUX.

Sure you can hear him frag you from behind, but you wont hear him comming.
I agree with your reference to detailed cans though, that's why I dont use them, mainly because detailed cans dont position good period. "visceral full-body bass" is annoying and distracting. True headphones do lack "strong front/back imaging" but I can pin point their position with headphones better regardless of their position by simple moving a few degrees in either direction. You have to turn around anyway so why not get his position while turning. It's more accurate. More speakers = more confusion.

Headphones is like a wallhack compared to speakers IMO. It gives the user a HUGE advantage.

IMO the headphone advantage died with Aureal and Sensaura (companies with good headphone algorithms). With the Creative products the only thing missing with speakers is the fine detail, and the extreme separation that leaves my head throbbing.

May 4, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn

You aren't dissing headphones, I hope...
biggrin.gif
But yes, I've heard of people in CS being accused of cheating because they can tell where people are when using headphones. (580s were the most common one cited, actually...)

May 4, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
You aren't dissing headphones, I hope...
biggrin.gif
But yes, I've heard of people in CS being accused of cheating because they can tell where people are when using headphones. (580s were the most common one cited, actually...)

I've been accused of that so many times now, it starts to get annoying.
I dont play anymore as a result.

May 4, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 26
I haven't played CS since 1.6 came out. Tried it a few times, hated the long wait download times (on dial-up, remember), and the shield. The shield is evil.

I'm gonna try it again this weekend when I got down to UNL for a Tech Team meeting (T3 pipe...), though. Also going to download the latest version of Natural Selection. Now that's an awesome mod. Not many idiots on, either. And you have to be much more careful (at least if you're an alien) than with CS. Death comes much easier. Besides, how cool is a flying alien that shoots acid rockets?
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
definitely headphones. my headphones are much better at directionality than 2.1 speakers, especially in fps (first person shooter) games.

Interesting. Never really considered directionality for a gaming setup but it makes a lotta sense. Currently looking for something that'll work best for gaming (ps3) and blue-rays. Would probably give in to sacrificing a bit of directionality for overall sound quality on the movie side of things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back