Gaming/Music Headphone that I can listen to possibly next to a roomate (~140USD)
May 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nickonator1

New Head-Fier
As the title says, I am looking for some nice headphones that I can use for competitive gaming (so a wide soundstage I think?) but can still greatly enjoy songs. My preferences? I'm all around, Queen, Beatles, Starset, Skillet. I occasionally listened to dubstep, it didn't sound the best for me, maybe because my headphones don't accent it enough? (HD201)

I will be spending my Junior year of high school on a college campus in a dorm with another student. I'm not sure how often that student will be in there with me as we will probably have different schedules but we could be in the room the same time as each other for long periods of time. I don't know who this student is but I would not want to annoy them by letting my music leak out, as I will hope they will feel the same about me. I don't listen to songs very loudly at all.

I was first looking at the AD900x because it has great reviews, then the HD558 or 598, but then realized they were all open. I went on youtube and could hear the music coming out of them fairly loud. I also looked at the K/Q701's, then realized people used those things as speakers. (Not sure if that is because they had amps?)

I've never bought a pair of headphones more expensive than $20, although I have done a good amount of research.

I've almost ruled out the M50x because I hear it has terrible soundstage (needs to be competitive) and that the A900x is a lot better. I heard GREAT things about the sony mdr-7506 and they are below my budget so I would be thrilled to get those, but I'm not sure of the soundstage.

After many slightly frustrating yet informative hours of searching I will just ask you guys, the experts, for advice.

If you actually read everything I posted thanks!~~

Budget is $140, I could buy them discounted on the sales thread here or get some used/refurbished on Ebay to be able to get some more expensive headphones but stay within budget.

I can stretch the budget higher depending on the awesome scale of the headphones.

May 11, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Marshall Monitor headphones. They're below $140, and leakage is almost non existent: I use them for pro studio work and you get almost no music bleed at top volume. Soundstage is very good. 

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-04090800-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00D3ITOHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431388174&sr=8-1&keywords=marshall+monitor

May 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 4
  As the title says, I am looking for some nice headphones that I can use for competitive gaming (so a wide sound stage I think?) but can still greatly enjoy songs. My preferences? I'm all around, Queen, Beatles, Starset, Skillet. I occasionally listened to dubstep, it didn't sound the best for me, maybe because my headphones don't accent it enough? (HD201)
I will be spending my Junior year of high school on a college campus in a dorm with another student. I'm not sure how often that student will be in there with me as we will probably have different schedules but we could be in the room the same time as each other for long periods of time. I don't know who this student is but I would not want to annoy them by letting my music leak out, as I will hope they will feel the same about me. I don't listen to songs very loudly at all.
I was first looking at the AD900x because it has great reviews, then the HD558 or 598, but then realized they were all open. I went on youtube and could hear the music coming out of them fairly loud. I also looked at the K/Q701's, then realized people used those things as speakers. (Not sure if that is because they had amps?)
I've never bought a pair of headphones more expensive than $20, although I have done a good amount of research.
I've almost ruled out the M50x because I hear it has terrible sound stage (needs to be competitive) and that the A900x is a lot better. I heard GREAT things about the Sony mdr-7506 and they are below my budget so I would be thrilled to get those, but I'm not sure of the sound stage.
After many slightly frustrating yet informative hours of searching I will just ask you guys, the experts, for advice.
If you actually read everything I posted thanks!~~
Budget is $140, I could buy them discounted on the sales thread here or get some used/refurbished on Ebay to be able to get some more expensive headphones but stay within budget.
I can stretch the budget higher depending on the awesome scale of the headphones.

Gemini HSR-1000 headphones, $44.50
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1FMHNVWMGI839

May 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 4
  Marshall Monitor headphones. They're below $140, and leakage is almost non existent: I use them for pro studio work and you get almost no music bleed at top volume. Soundstage is very good. 

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-04090800-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00D3ITOHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431388174&sr=8-1&keywords=marshall+monitor

So it wouldn't let me post because I had a link. The link is to the versus DOT com website that compares the A900x and the Marshall Monitor. It listed 7 reasons why the Monitors are better, and they all consisted of great features. The five reasons why the A900x were better had to deal with frequencies. Does this mean that the monitor has more features but A900x sounds better?

Also, same thing for the HSR-1000, the A900x has higher highs and lower lows it says.

What about the sound quality in general between the three headphones you listed? And how's the soundstage on the HRS-1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back