gaming mic for HD580s or new mic headset?
Nov 16, 2004 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OceanEnthusiast

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone use a addon mic for HD580s (or any other audiophile cans)? I'm trying to decide if I should try and find a computer clip-on mic or something for my HD580s, or just buy a seperate gaming headset altogether

In terms of gaming headsets, any recommendations? I prefer over-the-head cans, not earbuds or ear clips or whatever. Decent sound is a must. Probably looking to spend around $70 or less.

Any suggestions/experience?

plantronics?

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 10
just get some cheapo headset and plug the mic to your pc's mic-in, then plug the HD580s to the headphone out. wear the cheap headset on your neck (make sure you get a fairly loose one and not those tight fitting ones) and adjust the mic properly, put on your HD580s and your set.

this will beat any headsets out there
icon10.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 10
yeah it seems kind of silly to buy a computer headset when the 580s have way better sound. but i wonder if the sound leaking from the open-cans will interfere. prolly not a big deal.

anyone know of any boom mics that clip-on to the 580s?

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 10
I've used the Senns + cheapo headset worn around the neck thing and it works fine audio wise, it is a *bit* of a pain having to deal with the extra wires, plus I dont like having the mic around my neck, its not quite as natural as the simple headsets. It's not bad though.
In addition the weight of the Senns gets a bit much after extended gaming (I guess you move your head and fidget more while gaming,) a problem I never seem to have when just listening to music or movies through them.

I know Sennheiser makes PC headsets, but the sound quality is probably closer to the px200 than the HD-580.

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 10
you know you could just get those cheapo headsets, rip the mic off and mod it to your HD580.. its stupid to buy those "specially designed" boom mics that attaches to headphones.. and usually they cost a lot more. well, if you're so concerned about looks, just get the Sennheiser PC15X series headsets and you're done. be warned then it wouldn't come close to the HD580

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 10
freestand mic are quite horrible, in my personal experience I had two and both of them are nearly unusable in term of sound quality. The best solution would probably be getting one of those mic that clip onto your headphone wire such as this:

zalman mic

or mic that clip onto your shirt, such as this:

audio technica at9830

I had a mic that clip onto my shirt, but I constantly forget to take it off when I leave my seat, finally one day the clip broke. Now i attach it to my headphone wire using a twist tie, not pretty but effective. So I would suggest the zalman solution.

PS: i have two headsets too, but they are just no match for my a900, I use them around my neck for a while but they gets in the way too much and not very comfortable during summer.

Nice avatar ixeo, spawn action figure rocks.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 10
If your room isn't noisy, place a standalone cheapo mic on your desk. It's pretty sensitive and not good at filtering out unnecessary sounds but in a quiet environment you don't need better.

Nov 18, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 10
i needed a mic for my online course and someone suggested me a logitech USB mic. no complaints so far, it was cheap with free shipping too
biggrin.gif
buy.com has the lowest price, just find something to get up to $25 for free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back