Gaming headsets, how bad are they really?
Feb 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

hisagishi

100+ Head-Fier
Personally I have a pair of vengeance 1500s and I keep looking but can't find any bass anywhere on them.

This is what I have to do to get any bass whatsoever from them.

jyuR72g.png

I keep trying to compare them but I just don't know much about headphones/headsets or sound in general, they are the only headphones I have really heard other than the 30 dollar or so range. I'm really looking for an upgrade.

If anyone has any suggestions please say so. Was looking at a pair of HD558s since they are fairly cheap and won't require an AMP (which I can't really afford, even if its only 30 bucks or so) But I want something with better separation and more bass.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 34
Not alot honestly. I don't have much spending money. My high limit is, say around 150 or so.

I don't listen to much music with headphones, I have a good pair of speakers for that. So my main activities with these will be Movies, Gaming, and the random tv show (breaking bad, eureka, doctor who, you get the idea.)

Thank you for helping me out.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 34
You can't go wrong with Audio Technica M50. Really the best for the price point. They're $140 on Amazon right now. There is a new version called M50x that adds softer earpads and a removable cable, but it costs $30 more, so it's up to you if those are worth the extra cost. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 34
From what I hear the M50s have a pretty poor soundstage. Don't know how true this is, but I thought I should ask before I buy.

Also the HD558s, how is the bass on them if anyone has a pair, what do you think? They are also cheaper than the M50s right now, $127.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 34
From what I hear the M50s have a pretty poor sound stage. Don't know how true this is, but I thought I should ask before I buy.

Also the HD558s, how is the bass on them if anyone has a pair, what do you think? They are also cheaper than the M50s right now, $127.

The ATH-M50's would have a louder bass then the HD558s, but the HD558s would best the ATH-M50 in all other areas.
The HD558 come with a decent bass, enough for me, but not enough for a basshead.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 34
Alright, gotta wait for my check to cash. How often does the HD558s go on sale and one more thing, since you have it can you pop it on and move your jaw around? My current headset pops rather loudly (from the plastic) when I move my jaw left to right. Wondering if it does the same.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 34
Alright, gotta wait for my check to cash. How often does the HD558s go on sale and one more thing, since you have it can you pop it on and move your jaw around? My current headset pops rather loudly (from the plastic) when I move my jaw left to right. Wondering if it does the same.

The HD558 does not really touch the jaw.

Amazon has used HD558s for $93.90, with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 34
Is that an alright thing to do, buying used headphones? I never really thought about it. Would I get warranty?

I guess your covered under the Amazon 30 day return policy.
I've had good luck buying used headphones from Amazon.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 34
Hmm, a couple on there with 1" cosmetic damage on all sides and one that just labels it as "good" I decided to chance it on the one labeled good. I guess I'll know in a couple weeks.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 34
If you're really using an EQ that extreme, I don't think HD558s will have nearly enough bass for you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 34
I'm not sure either. And its not that these don't have enough bass, its just thats how far I have to turn them up to hear the bass at all. Even in those "bass tests" on youtube I can still barely here it with the default EQ.

Its not impossible for me to love a headset with no bass but it certainly helps to have some.

And yes when I do that to my EQ the bass is muddy, disgusting floppy mess.

I notice its supposed to be bass on some songs but its just... not really... present. I can't explain it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back