Gaming headset
Oct 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

metabo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a gaming headset to be used with both Xbox One and PC. I already have the headset adapter for XBone. I wouldn't like to pay much more than 300$/€, but I would appreciate good audio quality with excellent build quality. I'm hesitant about Astro because as a brand it is unkown to me, and Turtle Beach seems to receive complaints about their quality regardless of the price range. Sennheiser G4ME One and especially Beyerdynamic MMX 300 have looked so far the most interesting, but they are pricey and lack any Surround-gimmickry. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't try them out in a store before buying. 
Is there a be-all and end-all headset that would combine audio and build quality with decent multi-platform support? Help! 
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 12
For a gaming console get an Astro Mix-amp, maybe find a good deal on a used one.
For the PC, get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.

Sennheiser HD558 headphones will work with the Astro and the Xonar.

Pick whatever add-on mic you like.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 12
Purple angel I noticed you have the Samson sr850 I have the superlux hd688b I'm told there basically the same headphone. Would you not recommend them ? I use the akg q701 with schiit vali and mixamp pro and although it's an amazing setup I always recommend the superlux with just the mixamp because I feel it's good enough for gaming and my setup is a bit overkill.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 12
Stupid question but what does Mixamp add with XBone? Do the games actually produce surround sound, so that the Dolby Digital 7.1 would add benefit, or is it just limited to movies and video streaming?

I'm ideally looking for a headset for the ease of it... one less cord to become entangled with. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Purple angel I noticed you have the Samson sr850 I have the Superlux hd688b I'm told there basically the same headphone. Would you not recommend them ? I use the akg q701 with schiit vali and mixamp pro and although it's an amazing setup I always recommend the superlux with just the mixamp because I feel it's good enough for gaming and my setup is a bit overkill.

The Samson SR850 for it's price is a fairly decent headphone.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Wow, I ended quite far from my original idea. A good pair of headphones with an external mic really seems like a much better idea than an integrated headset. 

I also learned that I probably want open-back headphones, and finally set my mind on Fidelio X2. But the same company is better known for stuff like this: http://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-pe/hair-removal/ ...so at least the brand image is a bit confusing 
confused.gif

How would you guys rank the options, given that the priorities are gaming, music and movies in that order? Sennheiser HD series, AKG K 701 or Q 701, etc. seem all like valid options.

Btw I ended up getting DSS2 but the 3D effect at least with Xbox One was a bit disappointing.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 12
I ended up picking the Fidelio X2 because of Q701's reported lack of bass. ...and despite associating the name "Philips" with electric toothbrushes and coffee machines... 
L3000.gif

Purely for gaming (and maybe not so much for movies), based on reviews, Q701 really sounds ideal. It really sucks that I didn't have a chance to test any of the options here. Q701 seems to be relatively cheaper compared to its rivals in US, so in NA it would've made much more sense.

I have an old pair of ATH-A700 for PC gaming and I've been super happy with them (well, with the sound; the original ear pads crumbled in a few months).  However, Audio Technica is not very well represented in this corner of the world, so they are quite expensive. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 12
It took me 2 weeks to get the Fidelio X2 thanks to Swiss Post mess-up. The service here has a lot in common with the Alpine glaciers 
tongue_smile.gif

Regarding build, Fidelio X2 is a really nice mix of polycarbonate, leather and metal. I wish that the headband was detachable for easier cleaning, and the ear pad velour could be softer, but in general I'm really happy!

I'm not very good in analyzing audio quality, but X2 has definitely more bass than A700, and sound more fun when listening to pop music or watching movies. A700 has in my opinion wider sound-stage and 3D sounds are more "accurate" (it is easier to tell the direction of the sound). A700 has maybe even a bit clearer/crispier sound, X2 is livelier and has more "oomph".

I would still pick A700 for serious first person shooter action, and perhaps for classical music. However, X2 is really great for living room usage; I can hear when my wife is talking (or shouting) to me, and movies and games sound amazing! It's a bit "apples to oranges", but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick X2. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 12
  It took me 2 weeks to get the Fidelio X2 thanks to Swiss Post mess-up. The service here has a lot in common with the Alpine glaciers 
tongue_smile.gif

Regarding build, Fidelio X2 is a really nice mix of polycarbonate, leather and metal. I wish that the headband was detachable for easier cleaning, and the ear pad velour could be softer, but in general I'm really happy!

I'm not very good in analyzing audio quality, but X2 has definitely more bass than A700, and sound more fun when listening to pop music or watching movies. A700 has in my opinion wider sound-stage and 3D sounds are more "accurate" (it is easier to tell the direction of the sound). A700 has maybe even a bit clearer/crispier sound, X2 is livelier and has more "oomph".

I would still pick A700 for serious first person shooter action, and perhaps for classical music. However, X2 is really great for living room usage; I can hear when my wife is talking (or shouting) to me, and movies and games sound amazing! It's a bit "apples to oranges", but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick X2. 

Have you amped it? I would really like to know your impressions on them. Try to compare them to the AD700's I have a pair of them aswell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back