gaming headset
Oct 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #16 of 30
I have used both the DSS and the Mixamp side-by-side with AD700. At first when I only had the DSS I did not even notice the hiss, it's that minor. Only after I got the mixamp I was able to hear the difference. And the difference isn't worth the premium over the DSS ($70 vs $130 or something like that) IMO.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 30
It's not just about the hiss.  It's also the game/voice chat mixing.  If you plan on never voice chatting whlie gaming, then the DSS could be a viable option.  I personally noticed the hiss even without the mixamp, but different people have different experiences.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 30
if my memory is fresh enough i think the ad700 are only 16 ohms and teh sr850 is 32 ohms.  i am probably wrong but i guess your theory is right.  still the e10 will definately make them sound better, it cant make them sound worse thats for sure, and if they lack any bass, the e10 does a very nice job with adding bass and making it clean sounding.  i just tested my hippo shroom eb's with it and they have about as much bass as the ad700, maybe a little more, but with the bass boost on, they have so much better bass detail and bass quantity.  the price of the e10 is definately worth it, thats all im saying.  it also looks very stylish while staying out of the way.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
It's not just about the hiss.  It's also the game/voice chat mixing.  If you plan on never voice chatting whlie gaming, then the DSS could be a viable option.  I personally noticed the hiss even without the mixamp, but different people have different experiences.

Yes, I forgot to mention the chat function. That's the reason I bought the Mixamp. I did not plan on using chat when I got the DSS, then changed my mind. If you need or plan to use chat Mixamp is the way to go.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 30
i dont think anywhere around me would be selling the samson earphone (because i think its a minor brand? not sure though) i can only find big brands around me...
ive been reading the reviews about the AD700 and 900 and most of the people reflected they have minimal bass, which is not what im looking for unfortunately. since i love bass i hope my earphone would have good bass for the price im willing to pay.
i visited a shop yesterday and took a box of HD598 in my hand and i was so close to getting that but i know ppl say it has little bass too. idont understand why wont top tier headphone wont make some products with good bass lol

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #22 of 30
Good bass is highly subjective.  It sounds to me like you want lots of bass rather than accurate bass.  I'm somewhat of a basshead too, and I can't really stand the AD700 for music, but there's just something about its clarity, huge soundstage and extreme longterm comfort that still makes it my choice for gaming.  When it comes to movies I don the D2000s though.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 30
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 30
the 360 looks pretty cool and affordable, but it is probably the same price as the sr850 which i would highly recommend over it.  your only paying the label on that new senn phone.  it is probably the same quality as the hd201 with a mic attached b/c that is what it looks like.  not saying that the hd201 is a bad phone, it's very very nice for it's price, but the sr850 is probably 10x better for the same price.  and you can attach a cheap 2.50 microphone from amazon to it and your ready to go.  just saying what i would do.  good luck!

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 30
The ad700s shine in fps games, but the hd5xx are always a good choice.  The HD5xx (555, 595, 558,598) are much better all around headphones though.  The 700s don't sound all that great when listening to music or watching movies, while the HD5xx sound pretty good all around.  The pc360s use the 555 drivers and are a huge improvement over the pc350s, but for me, both are a no go.  I can't stand the huge mic or the fact that it is always attached.  my solution... https://picasaweb.google.com/thompsonryan.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #27 of 30
Astro Mixamp + DT880

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #29 of 30
I received my SR850s last week, nice balanced sound, plug them into my Asus Xonar Essence STX (with three LME49860NAs op-amps).
More bass then the ATH-AD700s.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 30

Quote:
i dont think anywhere around me would be selling the samson earphone (because i think its a minor brand? not sure though) i can only find big brands around me...
ive been reading the reviews about the AD700 and 900 and most of the people reflected they have minimal bass, which is not what im looking for unfortunately. since i love bass i hope my earphone would have good bass for the price im willing to pay.
i visited a shop yesterday and took a box of HD598 in my hand and i was so close to getting that but i know ppl say it has little bass too. idont understand why wont top tier headphone wont make some products with good bass lol

I use the HD-558s with the Black rubber tape removed, bass is fine for me.
But I'm sure bassheads are never happy with only decent bass.
HD-558 and HD-598 use the same driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back