Gaming Headset vs Headphones and Modmic
Nov 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

spooky655

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy headphones mainly for gaming, but also for music. Will I get better bang/buck with a gaming headset, or with headphones and a modmic?

Does a gaming headset have any special surround sound not found in traditional headphones, or are they the same? I want to be able to hear the direction sounds are coming from.

It would be helpful if you made suggestions or directed me to a comparison thread for hardware under $300.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 33
What I read from head-fi is that game headphone, (i.e:- 7.1 surround etc) are gimmicky. A good sound stage reproduction will tell you which direction the sound is coming from. Anyway let's here some experts.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 33
  I am looking to buy headphones mainly for gaming, but also for music. Will I get better bang/buck with a gaming headset, or with headphones and a modmic?

Does a gaming headset have any special surround sound not found in traditional headphones, or are they the same? I want to be able to hear the direction sounds are coming from.

It would be helpful if you made suggestions or directed me to a comparison thread for hardware under $300.

I like to think the Sennheiser HD558s ($130) with any add-on mic you like is a good setup.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 33
So I will likely get better quality from headphones? And I can just look up the best value headphones in general to find ones that will suit my needs?

Also, my motherboard has these audio features:
  • Realtek ALC889 codec
  • High Definition Audio
  • 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  • Support for Dolby® Home Theater
  • Support for S/PDIF Out

Is adding a sound card necessary?

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 33
Whats your budget? do you prefer open or closed headphones, depending if you want sound isolation.

Im also new to this but from i know, you might need to get some low impedence headphones since yo will be using onboard sound. Unless you do get an amp, then get higher impedence headsets.

You can also download razer surround now before the start of next year to get it for free, and gives you virtual surround on any stereo headset. I actually like it but im sure its not the best.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 33
The budget would preferably be $200 CAD. I think open would be acceptable, unless the sounds would be picked up by the mic.

I know the Astro A50's come with a mixamp for $300. I was hoping for at least as good sound as those.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 33
I dont think the mic will be able to pick up sound from the headset. The A50 are wireless but I dont really like wireless much. You can actually buy the mix amp pro for 130 bucks on their site and buy the sennhesier pc360 and call it a day. Any stereo headset can be hooked up onto the mixamp.

Myself...im debating on getting a PC363D...they are the same as PC360 but are more comfortable but more pricey..it all depends on what you want. Also if you just want a headset without the mic, beyerdyanmic dt990 are good as well as the sony mdr ma900, and then buy a mod mic to attach to any headset.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 33
some do need it depending on the impidence...usually like the ma900 dont need it and sound great and when used with an amp, they sound even better. And well if u dont need the mixer, than you wont get virtual surround sound.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 33
  Is an amp necessary for $200 headphones? I don't really need the mixer.
I also want the headphones to be as accurate as possible without exaggerated bass, etc.

The HD558s ($130 in USA) do not come with a heavy bass and should work plugged directly into your motherboard.
A Creative Labs Sound blaster Z (SB1500) sound card should improve audio quality, $100 in USA.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 33
Yes, it gives you positional audio as well as balancing chat audio and game audio.

I actually now decided to buy The Sony MA900 for gaming. These are the best balanced headsets for gaming. For 200 bucks... I think they are worth it..although i want to know where people get them for less than 200? lowest i heard was 150

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 33
  Does the sound card serve the same purpose as the mix-amp?

The Z and Mix-amp roughly do the same thing, but for PC use, the Z is a better pick, better DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier.
Mix-amp is really a better choice for gaming consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back