Gaming headponhes/headsets.
Apr 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 32
So i've been searching around, and i was able to find a couple of ideas. I found the beyerdynamics dt 990 for 160$ on amazon. An amazing steal, and im thinking of getting the AntLion mod mic 4.0, as it looks liked there vary close to releasing there new version. ^.^ With the leftover cash i am thinking about getting a sound-card or possibly a portable amp. Il be getting the 250 ohm version, anyone have any input on this? Leaving links below!

http://www.modmic.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Seems like a solid setup, and i have 100$ left over for extra peripherals! 

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 32
Agreed. DT990s are a good headphone. But you do either need a headphone amp or an internal soundcard for 250 ohm headphones.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 32
  Also, does anybody know the actual differences between the 250 ohm, and the 250 ohm pro versions? I can't find much on google. Thanks in advance! :D

According to Mad Lust Envy's guide, they're 99.9% the same except for some comfort differences. I'd go for the cheaper one. I think you'd find a bigger difference between different ohm models. I waited and waited on the ModMic, but ended up getting a V-Moda mic. I'm sure the latest ModMic will be just as good or better due to versatility. If all you need is extra volume, I've heard of many who are happy with a CMoy amp with their DT990-250's. And of course, Fiio makes some cheap portable amps as well. Just remember that the DT990's are semi-open and will leak some sound.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 32
Hate to rebump this thread. But i have some questions about the dt 990s and ampage/dac usage. How would the headphones sound unassisted? Im not really sure of the onboard audio on my computer, just that it's build into it. In my taskbar i have something called a VIA HD Audio deck, and it is how i toggle my outputs. At the bottom left there's a tag of ENVY HD. And it does have a SPDIF output. As of now here is what i was getting. The dt 990s themselves. A antlion modmic, and the FIIO e9 dock, and e7 dac/amp. But the dock+amp are a quite expensive addition, considering there actually gonna end up being more than im paying for the headphones themselves. ^_^ Once again, hate to rebump. But after my last buy, i want to make sure i make the right choice. Thanks in advance, and thanks to all who have helped me get this far.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 32
The DT990 are 250 ohm. Onboard audio is not usually very good at powering high impedance phones like that. They need a dedicated headphone amp built in, and very few motherboards have that (just the very top tier). If your motherboard has that, it will list in the manual power output for headphones.

If you want external, just get the Fiio E17. It will be fine for powering the DT990s. You can use the optical out from your onboard audio to connect it and still use the Via control panel.

But then again, since this is for gaming and you don't want to spend a ton of money, get the Soundblaster Z internal soundcard, which has a headphone amp that will drive the DT990s. Then you also get the benefit of the virtual surround function in the Soundblaster Z for gaming. :)

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #25 of 32
After some more googling i was able to find a bit more about my motherboards built in audio, the codecs is ac97 (again i have no idea what any of this means) and
24-bit resolution with 96/192kHZ sampling rates. Would any of this help?

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 32
No. Most likely it doesn't have a headphone amp. Odds are very, very remote. But if it does, it'll be listed in the specs somewhere for it.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #28 of 32
The e7/e9 combo would probably be a little better with PC use. But the E17 would be better than the E7 for portable use. Also, once you get up to that $175 to $200 range, there are other options if you don't need portability.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #29 of 32
Im gonna shoot for the e7/e9 combo, i like the portability if i ever do need to use them on the go, thanks to all who helped in making this decision will update later once i get them and get to burn them in on my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back