Gaming headponhes/headsets.
Apr 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Soulsforhire

New Head-Fier
Recentlly, i have been doing tons of research over headphones, and looked at many headphones such as seenheissers audio technica, beyerdynamic, grado, astro, sound magic, as well as many more. And im running into problems deciding on what kind of setup to get. I game alot, playing games such as wow, league of legends, and titanfall mainly. So a broad variety of genres, and am in skype quite often. At first i was looking at a good pair of headphones and desk mic, but when taken under consideration, i have a razer black widow mechanical keyboard (And it is vary loud) So unfortunantly, i figured a desk mic was out of the question. I have also looked at the zalman clip on mic, and i just didn't think it was for me, ive also looked at the mod mic but i read it's noise cancelling isn't the best and would probably pickup up my keyboard. I didn't want to have to buy a terrible sound quality headset. I have a 300$ budget. And will be using all of this on a windows 7 pc, without a soundcard. I originally got astro a 40s, but i have been having alot of issues with them, and will be returning them quite soon. 

My preferences are.
Preferablly closed back, but will take what i can get
Detachable cables and portability is always a +.
Audio is above all else, but i have to have some way to communicate in skype.  

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 32
First of all, welcome to Head-Fi, where the motto is "sorry about your wallet"!

It sounds like you probably have read Mad Lust Envy's guide at this point, if not do a search for it, it's full of fantastic info and reviews. Many people I game with have mechanical keyboards and very rarely do their variety of mics pick them up, so I wouldn't worry so much about the key noise. Does your motherboard's soundcard have any DSP for virtualized 5.1 or 7.1 sound a la Dolby or THX? If not, I would strongly consider budgeting for it.

As far as headphones go, asking for closed unfortunately limits you quite a bit, but the Beyerdynamic 770's might be just what you need. In budget, closed, big bass, detailed and tonally accurate, with good staging and imaging for a closed can. It comes in a variety of ohm-versions, and if you can go for the higher ohm versions, they usually have more control, at the expense of being harder to drive. The 250-ohm is probably what you'd want. A popular portable amp you could pair with the 770's is something like a Fiio E18.

This is just one man's opinion, good luck, and have fun! Feel free to ask any questions!
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 32
xD, read me like a book, yes i did read the guide. Ive done most of my researching on this website actually, witch is why i decided to make a account. Id also like to say wow, thanks so much for the quick reply! And yes, the dt 770s were vary high on my list of headphone considerations. However im pretty surprised about the desk mic info, and yes i do believe it supports surround sound, as the sound seems to work just fine on my astro a40s with the mixamp. Ive also considered the COP, with the V-Moda boom mic cord. How would i check my motherboards sound capabilities, and do you have any reccomendations on desk mics? If i were to get one?

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 32
I can personally recommend the V-Moda mic, it's a fantastic solution. If not, I would personally just try the Zalman clip-on first because it's just so cheap... but unfortunately I cannot really make any more mic suggestions. The COP's seem to catch a lot of interesting reviews, though I have not heard them personally. They should be easier to drive than 770's. As far as motherboards go, it can be really hard to find specs. The on-board audio set will either drive your headphones loud enough, or it won't. You can always add an amp later... sorry for the ambiguous answer but it's hard to tell without just plugging in something and listening
redface.gif
. If you could go open, You could get Phillips X1's and the V-Moda mic all for within your budget... you probably could not find a better solution for your situation. They isolate well and don't leak much, but couldn't be really used for walking around if that's what you wanted. You seem open to open cans (ha, pun), so I thought I'd give a plug for the Phillips.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 32
You could check out the new Sennheiser G4ME Zero. It's closed back, noise canceling mic, relatively easy to drive and fold flat with a carrying case. Under $300.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 32
Anybody else have any recommendations on closed, semi portable friendly headphones? Preferably with a normal detachable cord on the headphone so i can use it with a v-moda mod mic. I really don't think a desk mic would be able to work with my loud keyboard.
Headphones ive looked at so far, beyer dt 770, philips fidelio x1, sound magic hp, audio technica m50x, grados, and shurs. If anyone has anything else to add all would be appreciated. :D Also i might get a cheap amp/portable amp. Will be using them on my pc/phone.

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 32
I have the akg q701s I use them with the astro mix amp and they sound really really good for gaming and music but the only mic I have found that I could use was the zalman or a desktop but none the less they are great sounding

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 32
Open headphones really are a big plus for gaming because of their big soundstage. Similarly, a soundcard with virtual surround is also a big plus for gaming.

So I would recommend a HD598 headphone and a Xonar DG or DGX soundcard. Then pick up some separate, easy to drive portables like the JVC HA-S400 or HA-S500 (no amp needed).

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 32
  Anybody else have any recommendations on closed, semi portable friendly headphones? Preferably with a normal detachable cord on the headphone so i can use it with a v-moda mod mic. I really don't think a desk mic would be able to work with my loud keyboard.
Headphones ive looked at so far, beyer dt 770, philips fidelio x1, sound magic hp, audio technica m50x, grados, and shurs. If anyone has anything else to add all would be appreciated. :D Also i might get a cheap amp/portable amp. Will be using them on my pc/phone.

I have used Audio-Techinca A900 for gaming and it did a good job it's closed back,I also have used a DT880 pro-250 which you might be able to find cheap for gaming as well but it would req either a amp or a sound card with a headphone amp , it doesn't need a headphone amp to get the most out of it. As for mic you can use a clip on mic. I have seen deals on a Sound blaster Z on ebay if you need a sound card as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back