Gaming Headphones...
Jan 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

neks0ne

Head-Fier
Being that between my love for music, and my hobby of gaming has lead me to head-fi....I am always on the look out for "gaming headphones"...None that I have tried , or read about have really peaked my interest....though these do a bit...

Astro Gaming ¤ Equipment | A40 Audio System

Any planned future reviews, any opinions from the spec sheet among the experts?..

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 13
There really isn't much special about the headphones itself. At $250 for each headphone + "muxer" (for lack of a better word) it's sort of tricky to pin down where doing this sort of thing with pro gear is going to be cheaper. The 5.1 decoding is what makes it a little tricky, but consumer level 5.1 dolby decoders are getting cheap.

My guess is if you actually needed five of these ($1250), a pro mixer with microphone inputs plus five good quality gaming headsets would be a much cheaper option, and sound much better.

Really though this is specialized gear for a niche market. It's not hi-fi, but it's not trying to be.

EDIT : I would say you would have to be insane to just buy the headset for $200 though.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 13
from every thing I've ever seen the Stereo Headphones > 5.1 's for gaming because the 3d sound field created is better on headphones with 2 speakers than 5.1. especially on a XFI system.

if you have 580's you would probably be best either doing something with the pc like getting a better sound card or putting a amp on the line to push the headset better.

Getting a AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1 would be a example of a upgrade you would be able to count on if say your on a audigy 2.

the only real upgrades for headsets are from what i can tell are upgrading to a better quality set of can's which for me was a problem because im sorta behind the times on headphones. cans that were 400$ awhile ago can be had for like 150$ now lol which is a good thing i guess aside from the fact that they are old news now lol so if you know the good cans from the bad thats how you should choose imho.

Id almost always have to say forget anything that sounds gimmicky because is probably the only thing going for the unit.

its not that im against 5.1 headphones its just that every time ive used them they have
1 been weak on bass which for music sucks.
2 had what seemed like less quality speakers
3 not worked like my surround sound speakers setup not even close to as easy to determine where things are coming from.
4 not as loud as my sterio headsets
5 not as sensitive to low sounds either
6 like i said Xfi is great on stereo headsets

i just wish i could put more cash on even better set of hi-fi stereo headphones because you get what you pay for MOST TIMES :p.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 13
Look at the device more closely. It's not intended for PC gamers. It's intended for same-source clan gaming at events. Think Halo.

It's not the usual "I need a gaming headset" question we always get at head-fi.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 13
If I were to buy a new gaming headset in the near future (using Sennheiser PC160's with the USB thing ripped from another Sennheiser pc headset) and I would want to pay hard cash for them (100 euro ($140) and up). I would be looking at these beyerdynamic Shop*-*MMX 300 They just look insanely comfortable and well Beyer has some nice quality headphones. I even think there is a review somewhere on Head-Fi but I couldn't find it.

Only real plus of the headset the OP linked is the connectivity with the xbox controller, cause Xbox headsets are really bad, but then again Xbox live communication quality isn't that good either
smily_headphones1.gif
So if you're looking for this then these are probably your only option. If you however want the LAN system this is probably the easiest setup to get.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't trust this brand btw. they seem to be a design company and not an audio based company, so these headphones are probably just redesigned--re branded headphones with an amp probably at a high premium.

Not really. This same company helped develop the orignal Xbox & audio quality is high on their list.. Nothing is rebanded. I chatted with one of the guys from Astro gaming. They made their headphone to sound like the 555 since the majority of pro gamers use these cans.. & the guy also is a audiophile & has the Sen 600 & other expensive cans plus a very nice Speaker set up.. Astro games is a good company.. Very upfront & honest.. He even told this one guy it would be best to get the DT770 instead of their headphones, & just get the mix amp.. He also stated that DD charged them 50,000 to lic their DH technology.. They wanted DTS, but that would add more cost to the mixamp & no Console game supports DTS.. The Astro headset/ mixamp is very well implemented with features other gaming headsets lack.. Theres only a handful of gaming headsets I'd recommend.. The Astros/Beyers/Sens..

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. This same company helped develop the orignal Xbox & audio quality is high on their list.. Nothing is rebanded. I chatted with one of the guys from Astro gaming. They made their headphone to sound like the 555 since the majority of pro gamers use these cans.. & the guy also is a audiophile & has the Sen 600 & other expensive cans plus a very nice Speaker set up.. Astro games is a good company.. Very upfront & honest.. He even told this one guy it would be best to get the DT770 instead of their headphones, & just get the mix amp.. He also stated that DD charged them 50,000 to lic their DH technology.. They wanted DTS, but that would add more cost to the mixamp & no Console game supports DTS.. The Astro headset/ mixamp is very well implemented with features other gaming headsets lack.. Theres only a handful of gaming headsets I'd recommend.. The Astros/Beyers/Sens..

Hey Kool bubba ice whats up? I'd like to get your personal opinion on this. Do you think the Astro Mix Amp would be enough to drive a pair of DT880 05's or should I add another amp to the equation? Oh, and I always wanted to ask you this..which out of the headphones that you own are your favorite for gaming besides the K340's.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 13
Call me crazy, but I've been using Tritton's for the past 3-4 months now, and I just picked up a pair of KSC75's today, and they sound even better than the Tritton AX360's to me. Granted the surround isn't up to the AX360's cause they're true 5.1 can's, but man the drivers on those KSC75's work even for games. Try using it with an amp and tell me what you think. They're great entry level headphones for gaming.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Yeah. Ive been using the Trittons for about a year now and I want a real pair of headphones now. The positioning is OK but I need a phone with more detail and plus I haven't tried a pair of good stereo phones matched with a Dolby Headphone decoder yet. Like that JVC device for example.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 13
Beyer DT-880s would probably make good gaming headphones just for how huge the soundstage is. Would make it easier to judge distances from the noise, rather than have things sound 'closeup', with headphones that have a smaller soundstage. From what I've read, 5.1 gaming headphones and the like aren't really worth it because they often have terrible sound quality.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh really. this might come off as sarcastic but it isn't-- they really should make that more apparent. all i can find on the site is that they helped "design" the 360 and a bunch of other products, but theres no specifics so I assumed they meant the external design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back