Gaming Headphones
Sep 1, 2007 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Hackez

New Head-Fier
Well first let me start out by saying that there are two main activities I do when at my computer.

I play FPS's/MMO's and listen to music almost all the time.
600smile.gif
As of late I seem to be mainly focused towards rap and rock.

However I also do College Assignments on my Laptop in a somewhat noisy environment so noise cancelling is a big plus for me, as well as comfort. They must be closed circumaural as well please.

My budget is around $100 USD for these headphones.

After doing various searches on this website and headphonereviews.org I think I have narrowed it down between two:

Audio-Technica ATH-A500

and

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

Opinions on which you guys think would best suit my interests, they must be good for gaming or it will be a huge let down for me. I'm also up for other suggestions that I don't have listed.

Thanks!
3000smile.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not recommend HD 280s. They clamp hard and you'll have sore ears in no time.

Ergo, not good for extended gaming sessions.

They don't break in over time and become more comfortable though?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 38
How is it the pre-2005 DT-770/80 didn't make this list?

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is it the pre-2005 DT-770/80 didn't make this list?

My budget is $100 max, correc me if I'm wrong but the DT-770/80 are more expensive than that aren't they?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 38
Don't worry that seems to be a common thing here. IMO A REALLY BIG PROBLEM. People don't read the entire post first. They just see gaming headphone and disregard, my budget is 100 USD.

Anyways, yeah I'd go for the A500. They will be easily powered by your laptop at school. Lugging around extra stuff when you already have to pack your laptop, headphones, and power supply is enough. Don't need no amp (Granted Amps are small, one more thing to be stolen or lost still).

And if you are serious about FPS, I'd consider buying a gaming headphone rather than a music headphone. But that's just me.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry that seems to be a common thing here. IMO A REALLY BIG PROBLEM. People don't read the entire post first. They just see gaming headphone and disregard, my budget is 100 USD.

Anyways, yeah I'd go for the A500. They will be easily powered by your laptop at school. Lugging around extra stuff when you already have to pack your laptop, headphones, and power supply is enough. Don't need no amp (Granted Amps are small, one more thing to be stolen or lost still).

And if you are serious about FPS, I'd consider buying a gaming headphone rather than a music headphone. But that's just me.

Hmm, so now I have to make the decision between gaming headphones and music headphones. =P

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is $100 max, correc me if I'm wrong but the DT-770/80 are more expensive than that aren't they?

Thanks

They cost around 130-150usd on ebay... get them!

I have had several gaming cans including the a700, but the dt770 are just ... better in every way

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well first let me start out by saying that there are two main activities I do when at my computer.

I play FPS's/MMO's and listen to music almost all the time.
600smile.gif
As of late I seem to be mainly focused towards rap and rock.

However I also do College Assignments on my Laptop in a somewhat noisy environment so noise cancelling is a big plus for me, as well as comfort. They must be closed circumaural as well please.

My budget is around $100 USD for these headphones.

After doing various searches on this website and headphonereviews.org I think I have narrowed it down between two:

Audio-Technica ATH-A500

and

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

Opinions on which you guys think would best suit my interests, they must be good for gaming or it will be a huge let down for me. I'm also up for other suggestions that I don't have listed.

Thanks!
3000smile.gif

Sweet. I'm glad you aren't buying those 'real' gaming headphones, like the Steel, TB, Trittons.. Wish more people would ignore the obvious marketing ploy.

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Unless I've suddenly become illiterate, the post says around $100. Maybe you should've read the thread closer. How ironic, eh? My advice is still to spend the extra $20-$30 and get the DT-770/80. No amp needed.

Quote:

Gaming headphones are a rip-off and that's why you see them rarely recommended in this forum.

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 38
I'd not get the a500. I'd not get the a700 either. I've the ad900 and they totally suck for gaming. I'm getting the sennheiser hd-280 soon as I've heard their positional audio is great, but they pretty much suck for music.

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 38
If you are a MMO player first and a FPS player second really sound quality is more important then positioning. Assuming you listen to it at all.

If you need a closed headphone at or under $100 and no amp, 99% of the time the reccomendation ends up as one of the following five. Use the search box to research them:

Senn HD280 Pro
Sony MDR-V6
ATH A500
Equation RP-21
Denon D1000

Generally, people consider the HD280 Pro to be the best gaming phone, and the RP-21 to be the best music phone.

If you are open to open headphones, the list gets a lot longer.

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd not get the a500. I'd not get the a700 either. I've the ad900 and they totally suck for gaming. I'm getting the sennheiser hd-280 soon as I've heard their positional audio is great, but they pretty much suck for music.

The Audio Technica A series and AD series are totally different. The Audio Technica A900s are great for gaming, I am able to hear all the sounds I need in-game to play competitvely. But I don't have experience with the A500s, so I can't really tell you, I can merely speculate that they would be more similar in performance with the A900s than with the AD900s.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

And if you are serious about FPS, I'd consider buying a gaming headphone rather than a music headphone.
But that's just me.

Headphones are headphones. If you believe 'gaming' headphones are better cause the box says gaming headphones be my guest. It's marketing. & the best FPSers have lil to no knowledge about quality headphones that aren't spoon feed to them by computer companies, who use their lack of headphone knowledge by sponsoring them with their special 'gaming' headphones, cause they know aspiring competitive players will look up to them & think, I need these in order to be like so & so.. Same with Lebron & shoes..

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 38
^ couldn't have said anything better myself. It depends really what you are playing if its team games I highly suggest a pair of open ear cans as you need to communicate with your teammates but still be able to hear key sounds. If you play 1v1 fps you really need to consider how loud events are and how crucial sound clarity and positioning really is without having to amp your cans. I don't have experience with audio technicas, but i do have experience with the 280 pro's blatently put it this way. Save a little more money up and get yourself a pair of cans you can truely enjoy this is one thing i have learned and you have to find what the best balance is for you especially in gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back