Gaming Headphones
Jun 1, 2007 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SavageThrash

New Head-Fier
Well i searched and read some other threads on them and heard the hd595s and the a900s were goth good for gaming under $200

I couldn't find anywhere to buy the a900s and the only place i can find to get the hd595's are at jr.com

The problem getting the hd595's is that theres customs over the border and its killer. Are they any online stores (preferably, but anything close to Toronto with good prices) that sell the a900s or hd595's within Canada?

Im open to any other gaming and music headphones to, hopefully under the $200 range as im also getting the x-fi gamer SC which will put me close to $300

Savage

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 18
audiocube.com has the A900's

The beyer DT770 pros/80 ohm version are also supposed to be good for gaming.....this also allows you to get them Darthed (audiophile.com) in the future. (this makes them better all around headphones)

One thing to note is that "most" people say A900's are the best if you don't plan on buying an amp to hook them up to.

Also the HD595's are open cans so sound will leak out and people near you will be able to hear the nades going off :p this may or may not matter to you.

I have also heard that the A900's are "bulky" and may feel weird on your head b/c they are so big......IDK none of these are ment to be portable so this prob won't matter that much.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 18
I use the A900s and I don't feel it being bulky when I game. The DT770s would be as bulky as the A900. Another site besides audiocubes you might want to check out is: www.pricejapan.com

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 18
I dont plan on an amp as 300 is about the most i want to pay.

"this also allows you to get them Darthed", no idea what that is lol.

The open design on the hd595 doest really bother me as i am in the basement pretty much all alone.

Seems like a match between the a900's, dt770's and the hd595's then.

Pro and cons for each in gaming and music listening, or any major flaw in any of them?

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SavageThrash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"this also allows you to get them Darthed", no idea what that is lol.

I believe that mitcity22 meant to direct you to headphile.com, not audiophile.com. Here is the page where Larry explains how he "Darth's" the Beyers: http://www.headphile.com/page8.html
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 18
well, yes.. seems to me that those are probably the best for it..

I think now the question would be more kind of - do you want some real closed ones? ore some more open laid back?

The HD595 though seems to be quite a bit of a HP (and only 50 Ohms)!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 18
may i suggest that if you only game... a500 would be another option. it is $90 cheaper than the a900 and is black in color... even cooler! sure, it's lower on the chain, but you may not even know the difference even if you tried and listened. plus i heard from somewhere the a500 was bassier than the a900... which is better for games

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 18
I agree with uraflit. If it's only meant for gaming, and not for music, a A500 would be good enough for that. I think people who buy the A900 are looking for a balance in music/gaming, rather than just gaming...but that's just one A900 owner's opinion.

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 18
I have a fairly expansive music collection i like to listen to so i need a gaming and music balance.

I don't know exactly what the difference would be with the open, vs closed other then being able to hear more of your surrounding and people hearing you with the open headphones.

As for the ohm rating im guessing the lower the rating the less power needed to get the best performance out of them?

Thanks for answering all of my noob questions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SavageThrash
I don't know exactly what the difference would be with the open, vs closed other then being able to hear more of your surrounding and people hearing you with the open headphones.

Uhh, man...if you would like to ROCK OUT with the best sound, open cans can't be beat. I certainly prefer open cans in a gaming-type environment so that I can hear others and so that others will be annoyed by my cans pounding on my eardrums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavageThrash
As for the ohm rating im guessing the lower the rating the less power needed to get the best performance out of them?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say...yes! Something with 60~100 ohms can prolly be driven very easily. 250~600 ohms will prolly require an amp to get a decent volume.

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 18
I used a PTT button, im still learning towards the hd595 cause im hoping my ears wont get as hot in them
smily_headphones1.gif
and they seem to be good for gaming. They also seem to be easier for me to get in my area compared to the a900s

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 18
I use a HD555 - very similar to the 595 - for gaming and stuff on the PC and they are a lot cooler than any closed headphone I've ever worn. Comfortable, and work well for what I do. The 595's will be fine for you. I'd personally say the 555's would be too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back