Gaming headphones under $80 and a few question.
Apr 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fadedmemories

New Head-Fier
I'm currently in the market for a good gaming headphone, my budget is around $80~90. I'm currently thinking about buying a Sennheiser HD555, is there a better alternative? Are open-back headphones better for FPS games? I listen really carefully to see where my enemies are walking. I've heard 2.1 headphones are superior to 5.1/7.1 headphone because they're bloated with crappy drivers?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi.
In general open cans have better, wider soundstage than their closed counterparts and as such are better for gaming. I'll recommend the Audio Technica AD700. They have great soundstage for the money.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 7
I have both the HD555 and AD700. I have my brother the HD555 because I prefer the AD700 though because I can pick out more subtle sounds with them. They're also really comfortable. I use them with an astro mixamp though so I believe that helps a lot.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 7
What are you playing on?

If you're playing on consoles, PLEASE, do yourself a favor and save up $130, and get the Astro Mixamp. It converts 2.1 sound to virtual 5.1 surround for ALL your stereo headphones. The 555 is a good headphone that compliments the mixamp very well, as long as you mod it to be a pseudo-595.

It will bring out SO much potential for whatever headphone you're using. I couldn't EVER game without Dolby Headphone anymore.

Some people prefer 2.1 over 5.1 for gaming with headphones, but I'm DEFINITELY one who prefers the latter. It completely immerses you in the game.

Also, the AD700s are awesome for gaming, and they are highly praised ESPECIALLY when you use a Mixamp.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 7
If money is an issue then the steelseries headsets aren't that bad. They can be had for about $20 if you know where to look. I got them for free so the quality/price ratio was good.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 7
I strongly recommend checking out some of the other gaming headphone threads out there like:

Audiholic's Quest for Holy Grail of gaming sound!

Steggy's massive roundups - 1 and 2

ClieOS's [Short Review] ATH-AD700 vs. MS-1

Or do a search and read any of the other gaming threads, they're in abundant supply.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to go with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back