Gaming headphones that can switch between sources?
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Skippman

New Head-Fier
With COVID going on I've been allowed to work from home. This appears to have a high likelihood of becoming a permanent change thanks to my employer, which I wholeheartedly welcome. When I was in the office I had a Plantronics headset for phone calls, and a pair of Logitech H800's that I could switch between my iPad for music and my laptop via a wireless dongle for training classes and teleconferences.

At home I have a pair of HyperX Cloud Revolvers that I've been using occasionally for gaming, that I use as a mic with my external speakers, and that has been pressed into service as a replacement for the Plantronics headset I had at work using the 3.5mm connector with my work cellphone.

Lately I've been getting reports from co-workers of noise on the line from my headphones, including an ocassional "booming" sound. This, plus our plans to adopt an infant, has led me to believe it might be time for a new set of headphones.

Ideally I would like something wireless, that can switch between two audio sources, that has a decent mic, and that sounds good. I realize this is an extremely tall order and likely to cost quite a bit. If I can't have wireless that negates the need to switch between sources since I'll be dealing with a physical cable anyway.

Right now my top contenders are the HyperX Cloud Orbit S's, the Drop Panda's, the Sennheiser EPOS GSP 670's, and the Sennheiser MB 660 MS.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Right now, on paper, the GSP 670's seem to be the best blending of all my features I want, but the HyperX Cloud Orbits ribbon drivers and motion tracking sound very exciting to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 2
Answering my own question in case someone else is looking into it. It looks like the Arctis Pro Wireless will support both Bluetooth for cellphones and wireless to the computer simultaneously. These appear to be using the same drivers as their Arctis Pro + GameDAC which is certified for Hi-Res audio thanks to the ESS Sabre in it. There's a loss in fidelity when running wireless but for my needs I don't expect it to be noticeable as I won't typically be using these for critical listening.

It also loks like Audeze is releasing a new version of their Mobius headset without the motion tracking as the Penrose. This also appears to support both Bluetooth and PC audio simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back