Gaming Headphones Setup
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

brophus

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I almost went ahead and ordered a pair of overpriced gaming headphones until I came across this article about building your own headphone setup for a much better audio experience.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/27559925

So far I've found these components:
I wanted headphones that would be wireless..
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_5
Low cost mic
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microphone-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295162557&sr=8-2
3.5 to USB adapter
http://www.amazon.com/External-Channel-Sound-Adapter-Notebook/dp/B000N35A0Y/ref=pd_cp_e_2
Headphone amplifier
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319427106&sr=8-2

I'm new when it comes to this and I've only done about an hour or so of researching, so if there are any suggestions/advice on different products or even if this setup is possible or needs tweaking.. I'm open to it all and I appreciate the help! And this will be for the PS3.

Best regards,
Joe

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 9
How were you planning on hooking up the wireless headphones and Ear Force DSS at the same time?
For the price you pay for the wireless, you could get some decent wired headphones that could plug straight into the Ear force DSS.
Maybe I'm missing something?

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
How were you planning on hooking up the wireless headphones and Ear Force DSS at the same time?
For the price you pay for the wireless, you could get some decent wired headphones that could plug straight into the Ear force DSS.
Maybe I'm missing something?

I didn't think about that. So for example, assuming for that part of the setup.. A wired headphone would connect to the amp which would connect to the 3.5 USB adapter to PS3? and with a wireless headphone there would need to be an adapter/receiver that plugs into the amp..if that's possible? This is new to me so I'm learning as I go with parts of the setup and cords..etc what's compatible and not. thanks!

Wireless is much more ideal with kids running around and tripping and also so I'm not tied down to the length of the cord.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 9
I think your going to have to stay with wired option if you want the better sound.
Maybe run the cable under a carpet.

If you go wireless, then it's only half decent sound.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Copy that can be done. are there any more parts you recommend to buy or not to buy with the ones I've listed?

and will this setup actually be a much better alternative to buying hyped up gaming headsets? I based that off of the Gamespot link I included in my first post..it makes sense what the members were saying but if you have an opinion on it I'm all ears.

thanks

Quote:
I think your going to have to stay with wired option if you want the better sound.
Maybe run the cable under a carpet.

If you go wireless, then it's only half decent sound.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 9
The Zalman is the biggest POS I have ever bought. Using a carrier pigeon to communicate is better than the Zalman. I use a LVA-7330 now, but it doesn't look like you find them anymore. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Copy that can be done. are there any more parts you recommend to buy or not to buy with the ones I've listed?
and will this setup actually be a much better alternative to buying hyped up gaming headsets? I based that off of the Gamespot link I included in my first post..it makes sense what the members were saying but if you have an opinion on it I'm all ears.
thanks

The only experiance I have with a PS3 is installing once, for a neighbor.
Hopefully the more experianced PS3 user might have some good ideas for you.
If the PS3 offer digital optical audio output, that Ear Force DSS might do the trick.

I guessing "gaming" headphone are sold more to junior high schoolers (parents money) thru to college types who do no have a lot of spare cash.
So the manufacturering costs have to be kept low.

Where as the members of Head-Fi seem to have a more "open wallet" approach to headphones.
I myself my spent in the past two years over $700 for headphones and over $300 in assorted headphone amplification.
So we like the nicer stuff.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The only experiance I have with a PS3 is installing once, for a neighbor.
Hopefully the more experianced PS3 user might have some good ideas for you.
If the PS3 offer digital optical audio output, that Ear Force DSS might do the trick.

I guessing "gaming" headphone are sold more to junior high schoolers (parents money) thru to college types who do no have a lot of spare cash.
So the manufacturering costs have to be kept low.

Where as the members of Head-Fi seem to have a more "open wallet" approach to headphones.
I myself my spent in the past two years over $700 for headphones and over $300 in assorted headphone amplification.
So we like the nicer stuff.

The PS3 does support digital optical audio output. I hope its not too late to rephrase my original question..

How would one build an as close as possible true surround sound setup with headphones and components for PS3 gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back