Gaming headphones on a budget
Jun 10, 2006 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

stuartw101

New Head-Fier
After searching and reading through many threads i have seen the A500's have been recommended but i can't seem to find them in the uk or any sites, maybe i have been looking in the wrong places.

I have a budget of £35 which i may stretch to £40 if its really worth it.

These are what i have been looking at, dunno if they are any good or if you can recommend any better ones for my budget.

Sony Headphones MDR-V300 Series - £18
Sennheiser px200 - £29
Icemat Siberia Audio Headset - Black and Creative HN-700 Headphones - £35

May be a stupid question but if i only have a 2.1 soundcard i can't use 5.1 headphones can i?

Thanks for your help.

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 45
I dont really know about the other headphones you listed, but I can tell you that the v300 is utter crap. It's good if you really have no other choice, but there are better alternatives. I've had success with my ksc75 based headphones while gaming; I assume that using the porta/sportapro would be viable solutions on your budget. I've also heard that the HD555 is a good performer too if you can stretch your budget to 60-70 pounds.

As to your question about the 5.1 headphones, yes you can still use them on a 2.1 sound card. The other drivers (assuming it's a multi driver design) will be disabled, but it'll still work.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 45
What about good gaming headphones with microphones? I really need a microphone while gaming and find that deskmount mics don't give me the clarity I require. Any suggestions?

I've previously owned a pair of Sennheiser PC150's that, I thought, were rather cheaply made and pretty expensive at the time (I believe I paid over $100cdn). After 6month of use they broke - only 1 earpiece would recieve sound.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryton
I've previously owned a pair of Sennheiser PC150's that, I thought, were rather cheaply made and pretty expensive at the time (I believe I paid over $100cdn). After 6month of use they broke - only 1 earpiece would recieve sound.

RMA them?

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 45
You can buy the A500 at http://www.audiocubes.com/

The best setup reguarding a mic is to get a USB logitech mic and then a pair of headphones... All the HP w/ mics tend to suck.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 45
How about the Sennheiser PX100? I use these a lot with my PSP and it sounds superb. The PX100 is also very very good on music - cant really go wrong.
However they are open and let sound in and out. If you want isolation, i think perhaps some cheap IEM's like the Sony EX51 or EX71 would work pretty damn well! Downside of IEM's is that they are not ideal if you want to take your headset on and off a lot.
I know everybody loves to bash the EX71's but i have had two pairs of these and had many many people listen to them - which have resulted in some 10+ sales of EX71 =) Non hifi savants seems to like them quite a bit!

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
RMA them?

It's well past the warranty period by now, I was also in the middle of moving at the time = not enough time to RMA (plus lack of internet and I had packed it's box and stuff by then). Then I lost the receipt in the move and only 'refound' the headphones a little while ago. I may try a recable (I find many hp/mic combos have weak cables/connections near the volume adjust knob). Hope it works out while I figure something else out (A500 with a good mic sounds like it may work well. Off to search for some reviews on the A500 now about it's bass, SQ and soundstage).

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryton
What about good gaming headphones with microphones? I really need a microphone while gaming and find that deskmount mics don't give me the clarity I require. Any suggestions?

I agree with everyone else. Most headsets with microphones just aren't up to par. I'm tempted myself to get a zalman clip on microphone, that clips onto the headphone wire. It's relatively cheap, too. About $10 USD.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartw101
Sennheiser px200

No.

Quote:

Icemat Siberia Audio Headset

Nah. Supposedly not that bad though, but i think you'll find better SQ for the price.

Quote:

Creative HN-700

OH GOD PLEASE NO! These would be horrible.

You don't need any kind of phone with a mic, just buy one. For example Zalman has a OK tiny mic which you can just lay on your table or snap to your headphones' cable. I use it.
zm_3.jpg

HD201s' comfort and SQ is ok. They don't have the huge bass for explosions though (i don't find it a big deal, if a deal at all :p), but you can equalize it a bit. I wouldn't go with Porta Pros or other supra-aurals, their comfort isn't good enough IMO.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 45
For a budget there is nothing wrong with the Sennheiser HD201 either.

They sound very good at their price point.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 45
The Sennheiser HD201's are £15 i can afford to spend double that so if there are any better?

Thanks so much for your replies, im hoping to order before monday.

Oh, i play counter strike alot and also the odd bf2 game.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 45
The KSC75 / 35 are pretty nice. For DS, the 35 can't be beaten. They're OK positionally (nothing stellar) for FPS games, and don't have a huge soundstage but really seem to be "mixed" right for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back