Gaming headphones, I could use some help.
Mar 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 26
I've got the Audio-Technica AD-700s, AD-500s, and Sennheiser HD555s here with me right now.

As far as gaming goes, all three are probably just as good as eachother. Some say the soundstage on the ADs are wider than the Sennheiser, I can agree with that but I don't think it's enough where it's going to negatively affect your gaming.

When it comes to music, the ADs kill the HD555 in lighter, airier songs and classical, one comparison song was "Owl City - Fireflies" and then the UE TripleFi 10s proceed to kill the AD-700s. The HD555 may be slightly preferable for DJ Splash tracks, MJ - Beat it, but it's tough to say, it wasn't a drastic difference.

With lower kbps songs, 128-240, to me it seemed like the AD700s picked up imperfections in the music more noticeably than the HD555s.

I think both are comfortable but the Sennheisers are more secure on your head whereas the Audio Technicas are just resting rather than being tighter clamped(not uncomfortable on the HD555s, mind you). Again, being very picky here, it's not like the ATs are "loose" or the Sennheisers put a lot of pressure on top, just a bit more due to the design.

People with smaller heads might find the Audio Technicas uncomfortable. My brother has slightly bigger ears and apparently the ATs are incredibly annoying as he says they're always touching some part of his ear. So he's keeping the HD555s that go all the way around and don't touch anywhere. I have no such problem with the ATs.

For gaming, I don't think the sound quality difference is enough to really say one is better than the other. It was difficult enough for me to really notice much difference in music. And it was only in higher 320kbps songs. Without comparing back to back, I would think I'd be happy with any of them.

So comfort is probably the best reason to choose one or the other.

Just FYI, AD-500 and AD-700 have slightly different cords and the AD-700s have writing on them. "art link, titan, audio-technica, japan", and has a higher quality metal jack instead of the normal rubber one on the AD500s. Sound difference was unnoticeable to me.

Also, the 700s and 555s aren't burned in yet.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 26
AD700's bass is very very light like everyone said. Very good imaging, but if you don't play fps much who cares. M50's have the best bass I have heard from a headphone. Very tight, clean, and deep. The rest of the sound spectrum is also great. Soundstage and imaging are solid, but not nearly the AD700. I don't think you can go wrong with the M50.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GALACTUS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700's bass is very very light like everyone said. Very good imaging, but if you don't play fps much who cares. M50's have the best bass I have heard from a headphone. Very tight, clean, and deep. The rest of the sound spectrum is also great. Soundstage and imaging are solid, but not nearly the AD700. I don't think you can go wrong with the M50.

Thanks, that is what I needed to hear.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blood_Raven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the AD700s, they do sound tempting, but the lack of bass is disconcerting as well, games tend to have a lot of bass-y things going on.

If you play single player then perhaps bass matters and you can go "oooo, ahhh, awwwwwsome" all you want. If you play MP, especially shooters, do you really pause to enjoy an explosion and notice if there was bass impact? Shooters are fast paced and what's most important is picking up details, audio cues and team chat. Hopefully you concentrate on pointing the barrel of your gun at your enemy accurately than you do noticing if the bass rolled off!
k701smile.gif

The ATH-M50 first and foremost are monitor cans designed for audio engineers in mind and although can be tolerated for gaming, they lack soundstage. Remember, if you're the kind of person who ends a round with a stat like 5-30, then perhaps you should invest in Skullcandy instead.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you play single player then perhaps bass matters and you can go "oooo, ahhh, awwwwwsome" all you want. If you play MP, especially shooters, do you really pause to enjoy an explosion and notice if there was bass impact? Shooters are fast paced and what's most important is picking up details, audio cues and team chat. Hopefully you concentrate on pointing the barrel of your gun at your enemy accurately than you do noticing if the bass rolled off!
k701smile.gif

The ATH-M50 first and foremost are monitor cans designed for audio engineers in mind and although can be tolerated for gaming, they lack soundstage. Remember, if you're the kind of person who ends a round with a stat like 5-30, then perhaps you should invest in Skullcandy instead.
biggrin.gif

Actually I'm consistently in the top 3 of my team on Bad Company 2. You are right however, I don't play many online shooters. Online RTS is more frequent, and I have all the time in the world to enjoy an explosion or two.

Besides, we put the settings as high as we can in online shooters, not because denser textures or more accurate shadows are going to help us in any way, possibly the opposite, but it is just a more enjoyable experience which is what gaming, even online gaming, is about.

As for the ATH-M50, I heard that they actually have a good soundstage, not as good as the AD700s, but good none the less. I also plan to listen to music with these, so the AD700s are out of the question. Regardless, I'm not totally set quite yet.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enter the JVC RX900. Do the earpad foam mod and you basically get AD700's soundstage but with bass impact.

I have a hard time believing that they are better, they are quite cheap.

I was looking at the HA-DX1, is that any better? I can't seem to find much about them.

Really, I'm trying to get the best for my price range.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 26
Mar 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #24 of 26
Uh the JVC RX900 and RX700 are two of the very best sub $100 headphones period. Yes the 900 are a very good pair of gaming headphones. I prefer the 700 for some music though.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #25 of 26
I've had the HARX700's for months. Did the felt removal and foam mod. Love em, but my HA-DX3's have grown on me too. Both sets treat me well, but the 700's do much better with a PC sound card w/o an amp. My Auzen Forte with the headphone amp fixed that for the DX3's, but the DX3's distort on bass sooner than the 700's and are about 3X the price. Knowing what I know now about the cheaper HARX700, I am even more impressed that I still prefer them over a more expensive pair.

I've used both for music, games, movies, for many hours. Both have their highs and lows...the HARX700's are enjoyable to listen to, I'm no audiophile, but some EQ tuning and I hear all I want and I can have as much bass as I want, and have room for more..but it can shake the cans, can have very punchy bass. The DX3's are crisper in the voices and highs, the bass is more mellow, has more boom but less punch. The DX3's are also noticeably more comfortable, especial for longer gaming sessions. Both sound great in Bad Company 2, but the DX3's win for me with a slightly larger sound stage, better definition and position, and ability to hear my clan-mates on TS clearly w/o needing to turn the game volume down. I run with CMMS-3D enabled, windows to 5.1, BC2 set to war tapes, settings.ini sound quality on high, love it. Both do well, and at times I want the rougher, but louder 700's and it's not as-low but harder hitting bass. For $33 that's a damn great place to start!

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #26 of 26
Erm.. any headphone with mic ?
Lazy for another external one.. would like one that is directly on the cups of the hp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back