Gaming headphones for a person with glasses
Dec 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hydrajk

New Head-Fier
Hello there !
I've come here once again, because I need your help guys.. I got a pair of glasses with AR coating because I play alot of video games. And now there's a new problem... my ears hurt like hell with my current headset that Im using (some cheap ass on-the-ear type). So now that is christmas I can spend some cash for new one's ( about 100-120$). I need them to be comfortable over the ear type. I heard that the Steelseries Sibera v2 are very comfortable but Im not sure about the sound quality and btw its not necessary to have a mic even tho I talk alot while gaming I can always go and buy a separate one :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 11
Do you need closed or open headphones?

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm havingt the same question.
From what I have gathered, open headphones are better for soundstaging, so you would be better able to tell where an enemy is in terms of actual location to just general location

I'd probably use them 95% gaming... Looking into some open-air sennheisers. I hear grados had a pretty poor soundstage for an open headphone

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Well are you only going to be gaming in them?

Or will these be for all use (Movies/Music/Portable Devices/Etc)?

And what kind of Genre's do you listen to as different headphones do good with different types of music.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Don't let me steal the thread, but since I'm looking for headphones too i'll give my info
I'd probably use them 95% gaming... Looking into some open-air sennheisers. I hear grados had a pretty poor soundstage for an open headphone. I mostly listen to rap and a little bit of rock.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Don't let me steal the thread, but since I'm looking for headphones too i'll give my info
I'd probably use them 95% gaming... Looking into some open-air sennheisers. I hear grados had a pretty poor soundstage for an open headphone. I mostly listen to rap and a little bit of rock.

Hmm.. as weird as it may seem, how about the Ultrasone Pro 550's?

They were my 1st pair of Audiophile headphones (I still have them) and I had the same requirements to a certain extent. Gaming was the main factor, Rap/Hip-Hop was #2 and Rock was the final 3rd one.

I was suggested (In another forum) the Ultrasone's so I got them and I loved them for a year before I finally started finding things wrong with them and upgraded.

For closed headphones, the soundstage is actually pretty amazing. I had no problems detecting where an enemy was in games like CS:S/BF/CoD. Also since they are considered "Fun" headphones they had great atmosphere for single player games and don't over analyze music too much. They look very nice, come with a good carrying case and don't need to be driven by an Amp/Dac to sound good (Although they do benefit from it).

If you can get the Pro 550's + a Xonar DG I think your gaming setup (And music) should be good for a while, or at least until you become a full out audiophile :p

-------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise, if you really do want getting headphones for the sole purpose of gaming, then I would have to go with the obvious pick of ATH-AD700's.

You wont find a better headphones for gaming anywhere near that price point.

-------------------------------------------------------

But for both choices, I would pair them up with the Xonar DG. The difference is big enough to warrant the $23-$30 price tag and will help with sound quality in general.

Edit: Which headphones were you looking to buy?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 11
If your looking for a really comfortable headphone thats good for gaming doesn't get more comfortable then the AD700 even with glasses they just seem to float ontop of your head barely applying any pressure at all thanks to the 3D wing system(You can also bend the two wires for a more secure fit and a bit more bass without sacrificing comfort) and big soft earpads hours of comfort as long as your not leaning your head into anything if you lie down with them on in a bed or a chair with a high back that goes up to your head the earcups end getting pushing forward and apply pressure to your ear in a way they wouldn't normally but all headphones with large driver housing have this problem.  Pair them with the Xonar DG/DGX for dolby headphone to further enhance the sound stage and positioning and use the graphics equalizer to boost the low end just need a seperate mic for voice chatting and your good to go.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Well ill use the headphones mostly for gaming and sometimes for music and movies. The music Im listening to is mostly dubstep/hip-hop. And btw I play mostly RTS and RPGs like League of Legends/DotA 2 and Diablo 3 and from time to time I play Team fortress 2 and Planetside 2.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 11
how do those compare with the hfi 580?also the 550's look a little big i think... i did look into them before and i think i remember hearing they weren't the most comfortable. would Thi denon hp700's be good for gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back