Gaming headphones 595 or Astros
Jun 15, 2008 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gh0s7

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of 595's and am looking to upgrade. For me my only concern is gaming. Im considering the astro a40 headphones with the amp. The built on mic is a plus and 5.1 seems like a plus. Am i better off just getting the mixamp and sticking with the 595s though? I game on both 360 and pc.

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Yeah, the Astros are seriously overrated... MLG is just marketing them well. Stick with the HD595's for sure.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 5
I went through the same decision process recently. I have been using the Astro Mixamp for about a week now and really like it so far. I opted against buying the Astro headset and instead use a pair of AKG K701s that I have been using for gaming for a while. Previously I had been using a JVC SU-DH1 for the Dolby Headphone decoding, but the Mixamp is a better solution because in addition to the DH it has:
- voice/game volume mixer, which allows me to adjust volume in order to hear teammates, a problem I had with the JVC unit at times; when the game sound got loud I had trouble hearing my teammates.
- can be USB powered instead of battery-powered (I use the USB port on the back of the 360 to power mine)
- incorporates voice where the JVC unit only handles game sound, and allows me to use a standard PC mic or headset

I have not used the Astro headset, but my guess is that they will be a little lacking in comparison to the 595s. The Astros will most likely emphasize highs and lows and be a little lacking on the mids, but overall sound much better than most other 'gaming' headsets. So if you are wanting a headset, this one seems to be a pretty good option, though obviously not as kickbutt as the new Beyer MMX 300s.

In my setup in order to make my K701s a 'headset', I needed a PC mic, so I bought one of these cheap headsets for the detachable mic:
98970webd5.jpg

I used a 3.5mm extension cable to plug this mic into the Mixamp. To hold the mic to the K701s, I took a length of clothes hanger wire (white to match the K701s), and bent it into a loop of sorts that allows me to attach the mic securely to the headphone earpiece. I have been very happy with the results. (I can post pics if anyone is interested - it is a simple solution that does not damage the headphones, and looks decent.)

Also take a look at this review, where the reviewer ultimately went back to using his headphones in conjunction with the Mixamp...
http://http://www.2old2play.com/modu...ticle&sid=1562

Good luck!

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 5
the astros have been advertised and testified to be almost as good as 555s, which lack in comparison to the 595s anyways. i suggest getting the 595s and the amp if you could afford it. though perhaps it would be more wise to buy the headset+amp and sell the headset on ebay so you have the amp for a cheaper price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back