Gaming Headphone Review! (V6 vs DT770/80)
Mar 1, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Good review, but I'd prefer an open phone for such team based games like CS,BF1942,CoD etc.

I agree with you that open headphones are easier to communicate on LAN as you can hear people when not using voice-chat and you don't sound as muffled to yourself when you speak. This is one of the reason I didn't like the DT770-80s as they isolate too well. The v6s do isolate but my own voice isn't as muffled so I can tolerate it.

Quote:

But I have found EAX in Unreal II to be defective. What I mean about that is that the volume doesn't transition smoothly as you pan on any axis.

I haven't had the chance to play Unreal II and if I understand your question correctly, I can usually get the volumes up to acceptable levels with most headphones for most games (cept ut2k4 demo, can't pump the volume loud enough with any headphone (even the v6s) w/o an amp), but the v6s seem to bring alive every detail and at a very high volume. The DT770-80s has a 'smoother' sound and better bass, so if you like to do marathon gaming sessions, I'd say go with the DT770-80 or the DT250-80 (haven't tried them out yet, does anyone know if GC carries them?).

Quote:

Excellent review, I don't know why you eventually decided to go wit DT770, based on your "Gaming headphones ubder $170" thread (excellent by information presented in it btw), it looked more like DT250-80 would be a better choice for FPS gamer.

Well after reading all the threads on those two headphones and bangramans review (he had tried out almost every possible gaming headphone mentioned in these forums) and having his opinion seconded by alot of people who owned both the 250s and the 770s, I decided to spring for the 770s.

This review was mainly intended for competitive cs gaming, I found the v6s to bring out all the details and positional cues much better than the 770s. I only play scrims/matches and therefore, I don't play for more than 30-40 minutes at a time and of those 30 mins, 20 of it is probably silent time. When I play other games such as wc3 or ut2k4, I have the volume turned down as I don't really care for the sounds in these games. If you intend to do marathon gaming sessions you'd probably be better served by a smoother less bright/detailed headphone such as the 770s, 250s or if you like open headphones then the 590s. But as some of you know, I hated the 590s open design for gaming.

Mar 1, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Wut cal I clan do you play for? Good reviews

I play for [SYB], granted we're not the best, but considering we collectively have less playtime than any single player in most top team, I think we're pretty damn good in that regard ^^ We're yahoo pool and isketch junkies!

Mar 1, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 28
I'm not currently in a clan, though I've been playing with clans at SEL level, beating divine, they have that extremely overrated Rwa, if you know them.

I'm interested in hearing who kikkomaso is playing for
wink.gif

edit: too late
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 28
psssh, our division is the worst, all we do is play canadian and central clans when we're like the only west team. All our matches have to be played on those terrible texas and chicago servers. blah! that's ok though, when we get beat we make ourselves feel better knowing that the other team is filled with ugly people!
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 28
id rather be ugly and play on a central team, then not be ugly and ride the short bus.. YOU RETARD.

Mar 2, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #24 of 28
one of my friends (keiichi) was in SYB for a bit i think. i tried playing in your server and got wasted. ah well =).
btw, the beyerdynamic DT770-250 ohm was the one recommended by all those people for gaming, not the DT770-80. The 80's are new. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Mar 2, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
It seems like there's quite a variance in efficiency despite the lowering of the impedance on the 770-80. Most phones sound quite 'flat' when underdriven.

That's a shame. Perhaps you can give us amped opinions later.

Definetly give us your op on this in the future. Congrats on your v6 wonderland!!

Jod

Mar 2, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 28
It looks as though I might have a DT770-250 once again to play with soon. I've got two friends who're ready to test with me in UT. It will go up against the DT250-80 and the HFI-650. No plans to throw a V6 into that mix and unfortunately no plans to get the DT770-80 either, sorry.

From my casual tests so far the HFI-650 is absolutely spanking the DT250-80. The HFI-650 has a closer staging than the DT250-80 but it has more depth... looks like S-Logic (whatever it is, I've got to work out what the PCB in the phone does) isn't wholly BS after all.

Keep an eye peeled for the test of all three.

Mar 2, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #28 of 28
I've tried the logitech USB 40 (very poor sound quality and very uncomfortable) and the Sennheiser PC155 USB and i must say for comfort, sound quality and versatility the PC155s get my vote. The sound quality and sound stage in COD is just amazing, my kill rate has gone up 30%
tongue.gif

My clan members have nominated me as strategist as they can hear me clearest on Teamspeak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back