Gaming-focused news sources?
May 9, 2021 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hi everyone,

I'm very out of the loop when it comes to interesting new games (and old ones for that matter; my ignorance extends years back) and I'd like to discover cool new and upcoming releases to try. What sources do you guys follow for game development news?

Thanks

May 9, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Usually it is ign.com for me and wired.com giving tech insights on future gaming innovations, but egmnow.com is an old gaming source that is still around and retrogamer.net still has articles that update on the history of old consoles and games.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Early days it was easy as only few magazines were available like Nintendo Power, EGM, or some computer gaming magazine. I think times were simpler when Gametrailers was the main source, and then after that website dissolved, I don't know what is the equivalent of Gametrailers these days. There's a lot of sources out there, but I don't find them to be on the same level as the ones from the past.

These days I mainly see ign reviews, but I can't say ign is equivalent to what Gametrailers was. ign feels more like CNET (in which I dispise as a tech site with poor reviews). There's Kotaku as well, but it's more of a blog with odd stuff thrown in, so I don't feel it to be the same.

I tend to like Vox media news sources, and Polygon was theirs dedicated for video games, and it seemed to be going in an interesting direction, but not sure if it still is.

These days, there really isn't one source to be the best way to find good media like movies or games. You'd have to dig around the internets and cross-reference to figure things out. Rottentomatoes isn't the most reliable for reviews these days. I look at Metacric for games and movies a well. I cross-reference with different sites.

I always found the original Gametrailers reviewer voice to be the ideal game reviewer voice. I don't know how that happened, but it maybe because it was the main video review site that used the same voice for all the reviews, and it was the first and only voice for reviews I've heard for a long time. that may have make me associate the voice as the proper voice for video game reviews.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Early days it was easy as only few magazines were available like Nintendo Power, EGM, or some computer gaming magazine. I think times were simpler when Gametrailers was the main source, and then after that website dissolved, I don't know what is the equivalent of Gametrailers these days. There's a lot of sources out there, but I don't find them to be on the same level as the ones from the past.

These days I mainly see ign reviews, but I can't say ign is equivalent to what Gametrailers was. ign feels more like CNET (in which I dispise as a tech site with poor reviews). There's Kotaku as well, but it's more of a blog with odd stuff thrown in, so I don't feel it to be the same.

I tend to like Vox media news sources, and Polygon was theirs dedicated for video games, and it seemed to be going in an interesting direction, but not sure if it still is.

These days, there really isn't one source to be the best way to find good media like movies or games. You'd have to dig around the internets and cross-reference to figure things out. Rottentomatoes isn't the most reliable for reviews these days. I look at Metacric for games and movies a well. I cross-reference with different sites.

I always found the original Gametrailers reviewer voice to be the ideal game reviewer voice. I don't know how that happened, but it maybe because it was the main video review site that used the same voice for all the reviews, and it was the first and only voice for reviews I've heard for a long time. that may have make me associate the voice as the proper voice for video game reviews.

For those who care, the retrogamer.net address was revised. :)

It's funny that gametrailers.com is owned by IGN, as IGN does own quite a few names that were prominent at the dawn of this century. Youtube has always been a source for overseas video game news, trailers, etc., but eurogamer.net also covers a lot of updated international video game history with new developments. Of course, many mainstream video game sources are riddled with news bots and care less to change that, but there are purists that don't want to recognize that a large chunk of mainstream internet access became developed through video game development. Sure, you need to make money to stay in business, but you need to keep up with remaining true to your readers. Otherwise, you end up literally selling yourself to other companies.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 10
I only ever check Gematsu. Their ads are obnoxious but the news are perfect. No drama and no coloring... just raw news: "Game A releases on Date B". Just avoid cancerous comment sections which drool over waifus and hate Sony because big bully Sony banned Senran Kagura :xf_rolleyes:

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 10
There are some niches I follow on YouTube. For hardware news TechLinked, Hardware Unboxed, and Gamer's Nexus are good, the latter two also do a lot of hardware reviews and review performance of popular games on common graphics cards. Modern Vintage Gamer covers emulation and recently had a good video on Nintendo's implementation of N64 emulation on the Switch. Karl Jobst covers the speed running community and related news. Jim Sterling covers industry news in an absurd irreverent style. The Escapist mostly does game reviews but covers news sometimes. Hope something here is of interest.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 10
Most publications of all kinds are? What matters is if they review things from their sponsors, and these generally do not. The first three are famous for actually publicly calling out companies who have tried to have them do paid content or even bribe them. That why I love some of these, Hardware Unboxed even made a video that was basically "Yeah LG tried to pay us to give a positive review so we told them to stuff it, then filed a formal complaint with their HQ."

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 10
It could just be sand in the eyes. And paid doesbt necessarily mean men in suits handing over cash discreetly at a park. It just means giving better scores to people whose games are more accepted, popular and will generate revenue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back