Gaming cans under 100$
Apr 4, 2005 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ref

100+ Head-Fier
I need some headphones for Counter-Strike. I want them to have VERY precious positioning. I would also like them to be closed, and to have a microphone, but you can give me also some tips about other choices if they are better.
Can you give me some tips ? I found Koss SB/40, but know nothing about it ... what is it like ?
Please give me some tips. Thx.

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the same question, about good gaming phones on a budget. I have found that a lot of ppl reccomend the hd280's, I don't know about the mic, if I were you I'd just buy a seperate headset that only has a mic on it.

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 14
What is HD280 good at? Does it have exceptional soundstage ? Plenty of details ? I mean, do people recommend them for especially for gaming ?

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
What is HD280 good at? Does it have exceptional soundstage ? Plenty of details ? I mean, do people recommend them for especially for gaming ?

Don't know about the 280s, but super wide soundstage doesn't necessarily mean good positioning (which is what you're aiming for here, I'm guessing). A member said that his/her ER4P earbuds gave wallhack-like positioning. The ER4s are supposed to have very high detail level. But details=soundstage? - I'm not so sure about that, and not sure if either/both come into play when it comes to positioning.

For another example, I have heard that the eggos have a nice soundstage, however I'm getting the same positioning with them as I do with Senn PX100s -not precise enough.

Do a search in this forum for "gaming" or "$100". There were a few gaming threads just a few days ago.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 14
I'd just buy a Sennheiser USB headphone with a mic if I was really dedicating the headphone to gaming, honestly...it offers the most versatility and functionality. It should not be too bright or fatiguing with crappy video game sound, either, unlike a lot of music headphones.

Video games hardly have the best 3D sound; to buy anything "amazing" would be a waste, in my experience.

If you want to get good at counterstrike, play a lot. It's that simple.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 14
I also like the HD280's for gaming, it had great positioning and everything. For the mic, I would use a desk mic, I find it a lot more convenient than the hanging mic. I use this microphone on the link below, put all the microphone boosts you can on it, this way, the mic can be behind the keyboard and you are still heard clearly.

http://labtec.com/index.cfm/gear/det...d=620,crid2=10

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
I need some headphones for Counter-Strike. I want them to have VERY precious positioning. I would also like them to be closed, and to have a microphone, but you can give me also some tips about other choices if they are better.
Can you give me some tips ? I found Koss SB/40, but know nothing about it ... what is it like ?
Please give me some tips. Thx.

I own the 280's and use them for competative gaming. They are just what I was looking for in gaming cans, but they MUST be broken in before they open up enough to enjoy them and appreciate their performance. Before they broke in I wasnt impressed with their gaming performance. I implemented the "Blue-Tak" mod(search) to them and I recommend that as well. The mod will give a boost to the (I hear footsteps coming at 2 o'clock) freq range ...allowing an edge over the soon to be fragged, while taming the (crickets cricketing @ night) range ...again to your advantage.

My advice is to purchase through a dealer that has a 30 day return policy. Break em in and hear if you like them. If you decide to keep them THEN perform the mod.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enkrypt
I own the 280's and use them for competative gaming. They are just what I was looking for in gaming cans, but they MUST be broken in before they open up enough to enjoy them and appreciate their performance. Before they broke in I wasnt impressed with their gaming performance. I implemented the "Blue-Tak" mod(search) to them and I recommend that as well. The mod will give a boost to the (I hear footsteps coming at 2 o'clock) freq range ...allowing an edge over the soon to be fragged, while taming the (crickets cricketing @ night) range ...again to your advantage.

My advice is to purchase through a dealer that has a 30 day return policy. Break em in and hear if you like them. If you decide to keep them THEN perform the mod.

Wow, blue-tacking increases positioning detail? There's another reason for me to buy the 280s.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Wow, blue-tacking increases positioning detail? There's another reason for me to buy the 280s.

Its a vibe thing. Positioning is really quite subjective ...but I noticed a difference. Even without that mod they rock once broken in. They also fold up nice for storage in the LAN Clan bag, and they're sturdy. I also own the DT770's but much prefer the 280's for anything competative due to the sweet midrange that gives me the edge in fragging but also enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Obviously these are not surround sound headphones, so dont expect that kind of positioning. I just sense where to turn or look ...without thinking about it. If I do think about it the positioning goes away. Its like how when you carry a full glass of water if you look at the glass while walking you'll likely get spillover, but if you look away it stays steady.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enkrypt
Its a vibe thing. Positioning is really quite subjective ...but I noticed a difference. Even without that mod they rock once broken in. They also fold up nice for storage in the LAN Clan bag, and they're sturdy. I also own the DT770's but much prefer the 280's for anything competative due to the sweet midrange that gives me the edge in fragging but also enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Obviously these are not surround sound headphones, so dont expect that kind of positioning. I just sense where to turn or look ...without thinking about it. If I do think about it the positioning goes away. Its like how when you carry a full glass of water if you look at the glass while walking you'll likely get spillover, but if you look away it stays steady.

Thanks for the input. Relying heavily on headphones probably isn't a great idea. In the end it's still about practice and skill.

Apr 6, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 14
Yeah but having good cans with nice positioning is not a bad idea.
What about Philips HP890 in comparison with HD280 ? Do they lack positioning accuracy ? Could you please compare them ?

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 14
If you could find/get a hold of the HMD-280 (HD280Pro with a mic), that would be a very good headset.. Although that would be pushing the price a bit up. the mic the HMD has is a pretty good one.

The HD280 (alone) is nice. IMO, the closed design is a plus, as ambient noise can be mistaken for things (footsteps for example)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back