gaming audio upgrade
Oct 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gameaholic

New Head-Fier
Right now I am using a pair of sennheiser HD555's with the soundstage mod connected to a Creative Soundblaster X-fi HD.  I would like to switch to Dolby Headphone gaming.  I was considering the audioengine d1 but it does not support Dolby Headphone.  My budget is for the upgrade is $200.  I can push it up to 250 if it really makes that much of a difference though.  I'd also like to conveniently switch between my headphones and my Corsair Sp2500 speakers.  Right now I just unplug my headphones and my speakers kick on.  I'd also like to control my volume with a knob.  I've heard of someone leaving the creative usb thing on their desk just to control sound but I'm not sure how to change that in settings so I'm also considering the Griffin Powermate.  I am also planning to eventually get the Sennheiser HD 598 as my next pair of cans so I'm not sure how much amplification those would need.

I was considering the following options

1.getting this plantronics 777 gamecom soundcard off of ebay for $20:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plantronics-USB-Dobly-Adapter-for-GameCom-777-DSP-7-1-Dolby-Surround-Sound-Card-/280934661409?pt=US_Computer_Headsets&hash=item416902bd21

then running it to a plantronics speaker/headphone switch:

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-PC-Headset-Speaker-Switch/dp/B000069E1V

then to an objective 2 amp 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Objective2-O2-Custom-built-headphone-amp-Customize-yours-Ready-for-ODAC-/280877402276?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item41659908a4

2. Getting an Astro Mixamp Pro and the plantronics headphone speaker switch,

3. Getting an Asus Xonar Phoebus or other Asus card and the switch.

4. Just get the HD598 already

5. Something else?

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 7
The HD598 are fairly easy to drive, but a headphone amplifier should bring out it's best.

The Asus Xonar DG ($26) or DGX ($41) sound cards come with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone 5.1.

Or get a used Xonar DX ($70) sound card and SMSL SD-793II DAC/amp. ($60)
You can plug your speakers straight into the DX and headphones into the SD-793II

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Right now I am using a pair of Sennheiser HD555's with the sound stage mod connected to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD.

Is that a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E sound card?
Not sure why you would want to replace that card for any other sound card, for gaming?

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm surprised you computer doesn't do surround as even my laptop has Dolby 5.1 that can be outputted over the three headphone jacks or over HDMI and Display Port.  Any new soundcard should be fine for gaming and outputting surround you would just need an amp for your headphones, perhaps look into the Fiio e17 as that also features a DAC to really get the most out of you headphones.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I'm surprised you computer doesn't do surround as even my laptop has Dolby 5.1 that can be outputted over the three headphone jacks or over HDMI and Display Port.  Any new soundcard should be fine for gaming and outputting surround you would just need an amp for your headphones, perhaps look into the Fiio e17 as that also features a DAC to really get the most out of you headphones.

Creative uses cmss-3d for surround but what I've heard is that Dolby headphone surround sounds more like it's coming from outside your head rather than inside.    From the posts I've read there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to which one is better.  I've never tried it though so I'd like to hear it for myself.  

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Creative uses cmss-3d for surround but what I've heard is that Dolby headphone surround sounds more like it's coming from outside your head rather than inside.    From the posts I've read there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to which one is better.  I've never tried it though so I'd like to hear it for myself.  

They both sound equally "outside the head" to me. That part largely depends on what headphones you're using; obviously, ones with bigger soundstage work much better with both, things like the AD700 and Stax Lambdas.

YMMV, as with all binaural HRTF mixing technologies. Only your ears can make the final decision. Just because CMSS-3D Headphone works better for me (when it's getting proper 3D positional audio and not software-mixed 7.1, at which point it's Dolby Headphone with a bit less bass and a bit more treble) doesn't mean it'll work better for you.

However, you're using an X-Fi HD USB. That doesn't have CMSS-3D Headphone, but THX TruStudio Surround, which is noticeably different. (And utterly inferior to both CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone if you ask me, as it just doesn't have the pinpoint directionality I demand. But again, that's what I hear, not what you hear.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back