Gaming: ATH-A900 worth over ATH-A700? (Soundstage)
Jan 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta step in here "bro" and disagree with you here.

You try to give some kind of illusion that you can carry on an argument intelligently, yet start off by telling someone to shutup. I can tell you are someone of an adolescent age, or just one with an adolescent mind. First of all, an opinion is an opinion. Telling this guy that his "happens to be wrong" completely defeats your entire next paragraph. If what he says is truly just an opinion, then it is neither right nor wrong. I think it is you who need to get over yourself and try to contribute something meaningful to this forum when you state that something is "false". Present facts to back up your argument and don't leave it up to us to read your mind.

Take a few years to grow up, then get back to me
wink.gif

I will admit I phrased it poorly, what he said was not an opinion but a statement of what he believed to be fact.

Allow me to rephrase that first paragraph for you:

You're really telling me I have no rep when you're sitting there with 157 posts? Shut up and get over yourself bro, you state it as fact that soundstage makes no difference when common knowledge from those who have tested it is that it does make a difference, don't just spew stuff out without any experience.

Is that better? And yes I'm 18, what of it? I started typing that somewhat upset that somebody tried to tell me off for calling him out on being wrong, after the first few paragraphs you'll notice that I calmed down a bit and started discussing it logically.

Regardless it is still a valid point, the guy is wrong.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will admit I phrased it poorly, what he said was not an opinion but a statement of what he believed to be fact.

You're really telling me I have no rep when you're sitting there with 157 posts? Shut up and get over yourself bro, you state it as fact that soundstage makes no difference when common knowledge from those who have tested it is that it does make a difference, don't just spew stuff out without any experience.

Is that better? And yes I'm 18, what of it? I started typing that somewhat upset that somebody tried to tell me off for calling him out on being wrong, after the first few paragraphs you'll notice that I calmed down a bit and started discussing it logically.

I am quite afraid you are very off base. Soundstage is a perceived thing to the body and in itself has absolutely no effect on the sonic aspect of the music. Some people prefer it narrow or wide but this is not actually something that a headphone can be judged upon in the light that it effects sonic elements. Can you say a saxophone sounds and less crisp by whether or not it comes at you from a 60 degree angle to your ear or a 90 degree angle to your ear? No therefore, your argument is void

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

I appreciate the paraphrase, but I understood it clearly the first time. There's no reason for any of us to get so upset over such a simple debate. I understand you're are at that age where hormones are flying and it's easy to put unnecessary anger towards your argument, but I think it would be a lot more constructive for all of us if our debates remained free of such anger.

Having said that, we both have our opinions on this matter, and it doesn't appear as though one will be able to persuade the other.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite afraid you are very off base. Soundstage is a perceived thing to the body and in itself has absolutely no effect on the sonic aspect of the music. Some people prefer it narrow or wide but this is not actually something that a headphone can be judged upon in the light that it effects sonic elements. Can you say a saxophone sounds and less crisp by whether or not it comes at you from a 60 degree angle to your ear or a 90 degree angle to your ear? No therefore, your argument is void

If soundstage does not have an effect on positional sound in games, why is it that there is such a mass market for gaming headsets, 99% of which are stereo, all claiming to have pinpoint accuracy?

Some headphones do in fact make it easier to tell how far away and in which general direction footsteps are coming from, that is an undisputable fact. It is not like surround sound, but it is not only left and right by any means.

Headphones with a larger soundstage DO LET YOU HEAR FURTHER, admittedly, I may have just been listening louder as I was not using an SPL meter, but regardless, the differences are shocking between some headphones. If it had 0 effect, there would not be so many discussions regarding them and so many people talking about how much of an improvement they made.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP mentioned their closed brethren, though. Not the AD-series, but the A-series.

Oops. Sorry. That'll teach me not to drink too much wine.
redface.gif

I wish they wouldn't do this with the model numbers.

Ian

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops. Sorry. That'll teach me not to drink too much wine.
redface.gif

I wish they wouldn't do this with the model numbers.

Ian

biggrin.gif

So did I.

Regarding soundstage - I've noticed a huge difference pre decent headphones and with my current gear in CSS. I can clearly hear where people are with my current gear. Couldn't do that with the plantronic headset I have.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

So did I.

Regarding soundstage - I've noticed a huge difference pre decent headphones and with my current gear in CSS. I can clearly hear where people are with my current gear. Couldn't do that with the plantronic headset I have.

Exactly. You guys can state facts about how soundstage makes no difference all day, but when it comes down to it and you try it out, it really does.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #23 of 29
I was spending a hour at yodobashi in Tokyo, listening to both the A700 and the A900. And I decided to go with the A900. There isn't much in between them, but i felt I could sense more difference in bass texture with the A900, and for music, it is essential to me. But, i don't know if it is for games, to be hones. I'd say that the A700 will be sufficient.

Lasse

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 29
I just as happily use my A900Ti as my AD900 for gaming. Sure, the latter has a much wider sound stage, but the former sucks me into the game, for there's much less outside noise leaking into the headphone. Plus, a closed headphone is great for explosions.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #25 of 29
In terms of comfort, size etc. the two are pretty much the same. As for sound quality, I'm probably not qualified enough to make a serious judgement between the two, but I'm guessing based on gaming alone, the difference in audio quality won't be that significant, or at least not enough to warrant the extra dough.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

If soundstage does not have an effect on positional sound in games, why is it that there is such a mass market for gaming headsets, 99% of which are stereo, all claiming to have pinpoint accuracy?

I hate to crush your expectations, but 99% of gaming headsets suck, and the remaining 1% suck. Welcome to the world of advertising and niche marketing.

There's a market for it because gaming fan-boys think that the latest and greatest (as advertised by those that make them) use all sorts of nonsensical technobabble to peddle their stuff. It's reviewed by mostly PC and software mags, and sites that wouldn't know one end of decent headphone from a bucket of rancid broccoli.

The people that buy them rarely try a decent alternative (like good stereo) and anything costing $200+ bucks with bling and a cute built in mic is always going to sound a bit better than cheap crappy creatives or plantronics; the quality comparison baselines are low and the hyperbole high.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to crush your expectations, but 99% of gaming headsets suck, and the remaining 1% suck. Welcome to the world of advertising and niche marketing.

There's a market for it because gaming fan-boys think that the latest and greatest (as advertised by those that make them) use all sorts of nonsensical technobabble to peddle their stuff. It's reviewed by mostly PC and software mags, and sites that wouldn't know one end of decent headphone from a bucket of rancid broccoli.

The people that buy them rarely try a decent alternative (like good stereo) and anything costing $200+ bucks with bling and a cute built in mic is always going to sound a bit better than cheap crappy creatives or plantronics; the quality comparison baselines are low and the hyperbole high.

You probably should have read my other posts first. I am well aware that gaming headsets suck, my point was that to the average joe who has never heard a decent alternative, it is a large improvement, as soundstage does make a difference and makes it easier to locate people in game using audio. If soundstage made no difference, people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those gaming headsets and a $5 Logitech headset.

The only reason I mentioned them is that if they made no difference over cheapo headsets, there would be no market for them, which supports what I'm saying, that soundstage DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN GAMES.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 29
Guys thanks for all the recommendations. Even the heated argument on soundstage was a helpful discussion.

Sorry I didn't get back to y’all before, but was traveling back home.

Sadly the wife demands closed back cans, so yeah no ADs for me.

Seems the A700s it is, as I don't listen to a lot of music on my PC, music is usually for me on my commute, and I use my nuforce NE-7m IEMs for that (which for $50 have given me much love for almost 2 years now, and nuForce customer care is incredible if you ever have to try it).

Anyway, if I had the money I’d go for the A900s, but due to the large price difference and since this purchase is for pure gaming use, the A700s will do.
might get some Grados later on for Music, as I listen to mostly rock, and for gaming Grados seem to be a bit too in-your-face.

I’ll post back my impressions on the A700 from a gaming point of view in a couple of weeks time.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 29
I have a pair of A700's that used to be one of my primary 'phones but is now pretty much permanently hooked up to my comp. I usually use them when my washer is running (apartment isn't too big), but sometimes I actually prefer using them over my speakers just because it helps on the immersion factor. It's also not a huge slouch in music, IMO. Sure, there's better out there, but there's also worse.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back