Gamers: X-Fi worth it?
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
That will not give you virtual surround. If anything it will mess up the sound, and you won't be able to hear everything because it is expecting for 6 drivers to output the sound, when in fact there are only 2. Headphone it the best mode. CMSS 3DHeadphone will sound bad on cheaper headphones, such as the HD201.

What earphones does it sound good on?

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #18 of 30
I remember CMSS (Audigy one, I believe that the X-Fi has a better one, although I haven't played with it so far) doing alright for some music (e.g. dance) on the DT880. Some music just aren't very exciting on the DT880, and that adds a bit of spice. On the HF-1 on the other hand, it was pretty bad.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #19 of 30
All CMSS modes suck in my opinion. No matter what you do to the settings, it always sounds like the reverb and chorus effects are jacked up. Even the Stereo x2 mode (which should just mirror the stereo signal to the rear speakers) clearly has some alteration being done to the audio.

Creative drivers and software are just plain horrible. I'm not sure that I could ever buy one of their products again, regardless of how good the hardware is.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 30
Best settings for gaming: No EAX No CMSS3D No Crystalliser only OpenAL if you play Q4.
Best way to hear where your enemies are.
Without all those things you hear sounds like its meant to be with headphones.
But for some singleplayer gaming and stuff EAX is nice to keep on
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 30
if you want to keep your chaintech, you can always get a usb sound card and have good gamming sound from that.. though i wouldn't recommend it.. the x-fi is worth it imo.. im getting one myself for bf2 and cod2 should sound awsome with my hd555 hopefully...

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 30
Go for it.

Get an X-Fi Music. Cheaper than the Fatality card, and it sounds just as good (exact same Opamps).
Turn off all of the stupid effects, they just make the sound terrible. Also make sure you don't tell the software you are using headphones. The software boosts the treble and bass in the headphone option.

Great sounding card. When I'm at a LAN party I whip out the good old HD595's and I can hear everything. Before the X-Fi, I was not aware that there is a tinkling sound in CSS when you throw a grenade as the pin hits the ground.
It's a great card.

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster
Also make sure you don't tell the software you are using headphones.

Can anybody confirm this? Are you sure?

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Can anybody confirm this? Are you sure?

Yes, the headphone setting is terrible. To me it sounds like it actually kills the soundstage, with everything sounding like it's in one small point in the middle of your head. The 2/2.1 speaker option for headphones is much more expansive.

Just upgraded from my ancient Audigy1 to an xtrememusic today, all I can say is wowowowowowowowowowowow.

CMSS is pretty much a subjective thing: with music it just seems to add a boatload of reverb. In games it's nice ear candy (for that "immersive experience"), but hardly required for hardcore gaming.

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazZy
Yes, the headphone setting is terrible. To me it sounds like it actually kills the soundstage, with everything sounding like it's in one small point in the middle of your head. The 2/2.1 speaker option for headphones is much more expansive.

Just upgraded from my ancient Audigy1 to an xtrememusic today, all I can say is wowowowowowowowowowowow.

CMSS is pretty much a subjective thing: with music it just seems to add a boatload of reverb. In games it's nice ear candy (for that "immersive experience"), but hardly required for hardcore gaming.

Yay! Someone agrees!
2/2.1 sounds worlds better.

CMSS does sound kinda nice in games. Some songs it actually improves, but its best if used rarely. Not good for critical listening. It can make some sterile cans like the DT880 sound "fun."

Just don't overuse it.

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazZy

What about windows controlpanel sound and sound devices speakersetting should it be headphones or does setting headphones change sound also from what it should be?

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lettu
What about windows controlpanel sound and sound devices speakersetting should it be headphones or does setting headphones change sound also from what it should be?

set it to desktop stereo speakers

although I think windows audio control panel is synced with xfi control panel

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #28 of 30
I find that CMSS3D works great for games. I've gotten some great kills by being able to tell exactly where people are (but this is more of a close range thing). Also, I actually find video game sound fatiguing without CMSS3D.

I would never use it with music though because it distorts too much. That goes for the 24-bit crystallizer too. I can especially hear how much the 24-bit crystallizer distorts with the soundcard hooked up to my home theater system. Maybe it works better with 128kbs mp3s and not lossless audio.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #29 of 30
I currently use an emu-0404 for music listening only (Foobar allows you to pick playback device) and my onboard nforce4 ac97 audio for coaxial SPDIF out when playing games. It works decently I suppose but I too have been wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade the "game" card to an x-fi. The issue is however that the x-fi music only has 1/8" digital out so I'd have to do some sort of cable modification. Anyone out there know if the upgrade is worth it? Especially since I plan on using digital out exclusively.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis
The issue is however that the x-fi music only has 1/8" digital out so I'd have to do some sort of cable modification. Anyone out there know if the upgrade is worth it? Especially since I plan on using digital out exclusively.

You can get a 1/8" to RCA adapter from your local Radio Shack quite inexpensively ($5 tops). No need for custom/modified cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back