Gamers: Looking for comfortable, closed, balanced headphones with a decent soundstage mainly for console gaming.
Mar 20, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the Beyer MMx300 are like?

Aren't they supposed to be one of the dt770 version but with a mic?

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 20
I've done a ton of headphone gaming lately using an Astro Mixamp or CMSS-3D on my X-Fi card. I've not used an AD700 in this setup. But based on reviews, specs, and graphs, I believe it when people say they are light on low bass. I noticed that with some music.

I had the Denon AH-D2000. They're excellent headphones. They're luxuriously comfortable. Their bass is potent, very much like a good subwoofer, and they can honestly hit below 30Hz with decent volume and surprisingly low distortion. Highs are smooth. Mids are smooth, but a little recessed. I'd rule them out because of their potent bass and because while closed, they still leak a fair amount of sound.

I replaced my Denons with the Ultrasone HFI-680. I like them very much and they're my go-to closed headphones. They're a tighter fit than the Denons, but that also seals them up better, so they don't leak much sound. To my ears and measurements, their frequency response is very even across the entire range, probably the flattest headphones I own. Their mids aren't recessed and their highs are detailed without being harsh. This flatness also means the bass is not subdued. They don't extend quite as low as the Denons, but they get close. Soundstage is very good for closed headphones, even in stereo. My one concern is that since they have real, honest bass, there could be some subtle detail masking during heavy gaming moments. I noticed it in Borderlands when standing in the middle of a Transfusion Grenade explosion. Put them on your list though. You can find them for around $200.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the Beyer MMx300 are like?

they are very nice... basically a Dt770 with a broadcast quality mic. another option are the a900s. very good for gaming, and will sound pretty nice out of the mixamp. very comfortable, closed phone.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #19 of 20
I guess I'll look into the A900, D2000, and DT770 like before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...I'm not really a basshead but I do want bass impact in my gaming and with the MixAmp the D2000 has just enough umph. The MixAmp is kind of bass shy in the first place so I wouldn't say, at least in my experience, the bass is overwhelming. Sounds detailed enough for AC2, MW2, R6V2, GRAW2, Oblivion, ME2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, L4D, Bioshock, and GoW2. The AD700 was my primary gaming can before I switched to the RX900 for MP, D2000 for SP, and although I miss the AD700's soundstage and transparency, the D2000 makes up for it in it's fuller sound.

Is there a reason why you got rid of the AD700? Why use the JVC HA-RX900 for MP?

I'd probably get the A700 or A900, but I really want a more traditional headband, and not wings. I need a rubberband to make the AD700 feel like real headphones. If I didn't, they'd slip at every opportunity. I'm guessing the A700 and A900 would be the same, unless they are tighter fit...then I'd most definitely would.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 20
I suspect you are going to find D2000 and the DT770 a bit bass heavy based on reputation and personal experience respectively.

I use a pair of SRH840 out of the mixamp when I am not playing online (I use a pair of Senn PC350 when I want a mic) and I am very pleased with them. They are nicely balanced, providing just enough bass impact for satisfying explosions while maintaining a nice degree of clarity. Their soundstage is also very good for a closed can. The only downside is that they are not the most comfortable headphone - not a bit problem for me, but I do find my other headphones more comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back