Gamecube VS. Xbox for an 7-8 year old.
Jan 18, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
EDIT NOTE: Well I just snagged a GC Doubledash pack off ebay, so GC it is.

So the lovely Mrs. Redneck wants me to look into getting an XBox as my boys (7 and 8) have some money saved up, are doing fairly well with school and are always talking about their friend's systems. And they have one friend in particular that we would prefer it he came to our house (he is a nice enough kid, but we just don't like our kids in his home).

Now I'm familiar enough with the system to know what I think of them if I was buying one for ME, but as they will be the primary users and the games will be targeting that age bracket, I need some suggestions. They have GBs and the classic arcade games, Monster Trucks, and Scooby Doo seem to be their favorites.

So, since its the games that really make the system: Which would be better for a pre-teen and what games would you suggest for 7-8 year olds?

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

(let me guess, Halo and Residnet Evil, right? LOL)

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 42
If you want your kids to play with these things for a long time, get the Xbox. However, if you are willing to purchase something new in the next 2/3 years, get the Gamecube, which is has a far better childrens collection. However, once they are older, they will get bored fast.

Plus, the Xbox doubles as a DVD/CD player which can also archive songs on the HDD. If you get the Xbox, it won't be too soon before they ask for Xbox Live! to play online.

Go for Xbox if you want to pro-long the gaming experience

Go for Gamecube if suitable content is a priority

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 42
I would wait for X-box 2/Gamecube 2/Playstation 3 unless you have a tight budget.

Gamecube's games are more geared towards children, whereas this is the opposite with X-Box. PS2 is kind of in the middle. (Now these are just rough generalizations. No flames please!)

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 42
As others have pointed out, bear in mind that Xbox 2 and PS3 are coming out next year (knock on wood). Of course, your kids probably don't want to wait that long. That being said, the Xbox is currently the most popular, and will likely have the best resale value should you want to trade up when the next-gen comes out.

As for available games, I'm going to have to disagree with the 'Gamecube==Kids' thoughts. It just depends on what games you like. A friend of mine loves Mario, Sonic, and the like, and The Cube is pretty much the only place for that. Nintendo actually recently released a giant pack that has all the Sonic games ever made. Quite fun, if you're into retro gaming. That being said, there's also a fair amount of shooters for the Game Cube. (Metroid Prime, most of Tom Clancy's, Timesplitters, 007...) No Halo, though. Pity. However, Gamecube does have Super Smash Bros., which is quite possibly the most fun party game ever created. Also kid-friendly; no blood, language, or the like.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 42
Xbox 2 IS NOT coming this year. Remember Xbox came in 2001. 2001 + 5 = 2006. It MAY be coming '06 but definately not this year.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Xbox 2 IS NOT coming this year. Remember Xbox came in 2001. 2001 + 5 = 2006. It MAY be coming '06 but definately not this year.

That's what Ballmer said. Personally, I put no faith in any statement M$ releases. Who else could fail to release any of their OS versions on their namesakes' date?

I'm waiting until July to pass any judgement. While it's more like them to be late than early, you never know.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 42
I say Gamecube. Most of their games tend to be kid-safe.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
I would wait for X-box 2/Gamecube 2/Playstation 3 unless you have a tight budget.

Gamecube's games are more geared towards children, whereas this is the opposite with X-Box. PS2 is kind of in the middle. (Now these are just rough generalizations. No flames please!)

Well then the Gamecube does sound more like it for now. At 8 years old, I figure it will be 4 years worth of play and then we may be looking a x-Box3/ PS-4, etc. They'll have a PC in their room too at times.

Budget tops out at $200, so unless I go used (and I'm not totally against it), PS2 is pretty much out of the question. xBox would be limited to probably one game for a month or two, but I know that some games are complex enough to keep 'em busy that long. That and they'd be limited to about an hour a day.

Any suggestions on specific games for either system?

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 42
You could buy a used GameCube for $60 at Electronic Boutique and a $5 mem. card from WalMart. Since he already has the GameBoy chances are thet he will want to get the GB adapter. Me, I'm waiting for the next Zelda Game to come out before I buy a GC, which should be due out in June. It will probably be the last game which comes out for the GC before it dies.

The XBox controller may be too much for little hands, even with the smaller controller. Some of the best games out there and the best graphics. No mem card necessary and you can swap out the HD and install linux.

PS2 has the most games, 25% for children, of which 25% are good to great.

No matter what console you buy, at most 25% of the games will be great or worth buying, 50% are just okay and 25% are garbage.

A 6 year old boy or girl should enjoy the Zelda games (I know I loved playing "The Ocarina of Time), the controller is made for kids as it is simple to control. The next best controller would be the PS2 and the hardest the XBox.

I believe you can add a keyboard and mouse to the PS2 for FPS. Chances are your kids will be into racing games, fighting games, sports games, and kiddie games. With the PS2 and XBox you'll be more into stragedy and FPS.

Kids? $60 used GameCube. Get all the Zelda and Mario games you can find used. "Ocarina of Time" should take them about 30 days to finish. It'll be an excellent opportunity to teach your kid not to chase hype but to buy quality; that he doesn't have to buy the latest and greatest.

An alternative would be to get a used N64 for $20 and "Ocarina of Time" for $5 and let them play that and all the Mario Games, although "Ocarina of Time" is easier on the GameCube.

Go to your local video store, like BestBuy and Blockbuster and look at all the games available. Just take a tally, write all the names down and then just look at the list - your answer will become apparent.

Basically the GC has very few games, the PS2 the most. If you get a PS2, see if you can find a NOS PS2, the "thick" one and do not buy the new slim line one.

Me, I still can't get used to the XBox controller, you child will probably take to it like a fish to water as his motor skills haven't completely delveloped.

I refuse to buy a PS2 or an XBox because I can no longer afford $50 games. The problem with kids is that you will buy them a game and before they finish it you'll buy them another, and another, and another, and another...

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 42
BTW: GC is 99 bucks (or less) now at many places NEW
Xbox and PS2 are usually 130-150 atm.

Definately check out Mario Kart Double Dash for GC (I'd let them test it out first though, many like it, some don't...me being one of them: the feel is really clunky compared to the N64 version).

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 42
So, aside from a second controler for any system, and a memory chip for the GC (how big?), any other "must have" accessories?

I know the GC has a steering wheel that works with Mario Cart. Am I correct there is similar for the Xbox?

Jan 18, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 42
Man thinking back to when I was 7 I realized that that was the absolute greatest game year ever. A Link to the Past came out that year and I played it over and over and over. By far the greatest gaming experience of my life.
As a Zelda fanboy I have to of course say get a GC. It's the only system that you can play every single Zelda game on. With just the base system alone you can play almost all of them, but add on the GBA player (for $50 new) and your kids can have the same life altering gameing experience as I did back then.
Of course GC isn't all Zelda. Some other good games that come to mind for that age group are Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, the Mario Party series (you said they like arcade style games), and the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Then when they get a little older there are still a bunch of games that are mature enough to be fun for them. Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Echos are both absolutely wonderfull games. Also theres Prince of Persia, and Resident Evil. True there aren't a huge selection of very mature games for GC, but with the kids being only 7-8 theres more than enough games for them to play both now and in the future.
Oh and don't forget. Only GC has Link in Soulcalibur 2.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 42
I envy your parenting skills. My first video game was Mortal Kombat, age six
tongue.gif

Anywho, I would also like to recommend the Gamecube. They have a lot of kid-friendly games, but also adult-oriented games that aren't innapropriate content-wise, so if your kids get really good, you could then advance them to games like Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, and things like that. Not too many M-rated games, but the Gamecube is the best system for children - it's easiest to use, has the best selection of games, and, best of all, it's dirt cheap now for the quality and content you get.

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 42
I agree with aman; gamecube is probably the way to go.

It is cheaper and has alot of good games that are appropriate for all ages. However, the next generation consoles will be coming out pretty soon(I am betting that we will see xbox 2 within a year), so I would wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back