Game Equalizer devices
Apr 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ucronia

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, i've got a question that i've sometime discussed and which i have often think about.
What about a equalizer for headphones?

Ok, there is the situation. I really like to "play" with the EQ setting in the many software player on my pc, emulating the common pre-setting for different music styles, but never something professional and i haven't any knowledge about.
Now as i've yet wrote, i'm going to buy a pair of good headphones (akg k701, at the last) and when i can, the shiit magni; but what i think at the start is curious and "nerdy".
I'd like to have an external device, an hardware, that work great an EQ for my K701 for gaming use, and with this i mean amplify only some usefull sound like Footsteps (expecially), but also explosion and shots (FPS gamer).
Anything i know is that most of those can be found in the "car equalizer" sector, and the fact that they are often called "pre amp" made me suppose that the correct plug sequenze should be: Music output>EQ device>amp>headphones.

Now, what i can suppose to do is plug the oudio output jack in the pc microphone input, register the sounds that i am interested about doing those in game, sign the frequence of those, and after work on an parametric eq to modify them.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi everyone, i've got a question that i've sometime discussed and which i have often think about.
What about a equalizer for headphones?

Ok, there is the situation. I really like to "play" with the EQ setting in the many software player on my pc, emulating the common pre-setting for different music styles, but never something professional and i haven't any knowledge about.
Now as i've yet wrote, i'm going to buy a pair of good headphones (akg k701, at the last) and when i can, the shiit magni; but what i think at the start is curious and "nerdy".
I'd like to have an external device, an hardware, that work great an EQ for my K701 for gaming use, and with this i mean amplify only some usefull sound like Footsteps (expecially), but also explosion and shots (FPS gamer).
Anything i know is that most of those can be found in the "car equalizer" sector, and the fact that they are often called "pre amp" made me suppose that the correct plug sequenze should be: Music output>EQ device>amp>headphones.

Now, what i can suppose to do is plug the oudio output jack in the pc microphone input, register the sounds that i am interested about doing those in game, sign the frequence of those, and after work on an parametric eq to modify them.

This would do it quite well.  You run the output of the PC or game unit into this equalizer, then out of it into a headphone amp...etc.. All the tuning and EQ anyone could ever want.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Untill this i've seen the pyramid as usefull, what you think about?

If you're thinking of pyramidaudio.com, I don't see anything there even close to comparable. Most of their stuff is for car audio, what few home units they have are all graphics. Not at all the same.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 9
First of all, i have to say that i don't know anything about, so when i start to search on google "equalizer" it only show me programs, so i start to type: "device equalizer"(same), "equalizer hardware", but car equalizer was the only search that gives (for me) something intresting. I would like to have a little box, like pyramids (i'm talking about sizes, not specs) to stand on my desktop, and to set quickly.
That's the reason that made me talk about pyramid, but i have no serious reason to choose a car EQ.
I'm a n00b about, so i stand at your help.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 9
This was helpfull, but, even if the fact that is the first time that i use one of those, and that should make me think about digital models; my "particular" need made me think most at parametric.
What i need to do is to boost in the better way that i can, just one sound, and made it strong and clear, i already know that this can influence the General audio but i don't care a lot about.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 9
It's not usually possible to boost or cut a single sound in a mix of sounds with an equalizer because each "sound" is complex and consists of a wide range of frequencies, hardly ever just a single frequency that you can change with one equalizer control.  As you say, you will change the overall sound trying to do this, but depending on the sound you are trying to control, you may or may not achieve your goal.   You should try this with free software tools first before you spend money on hardware.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Yep, you are right, and try first on pc is a great idea, i will downoald the same game that i play on my console (Xbox 360) and by having different windows opened i can change setting during play making all usefull try that i can.
Anyway, the fact that i am a console gamer is the first reason which made me dream about an external hardware instead of a software, i can't use one on my desk, more over i have to admin that i love nerdy toys, whith a portable EQ i can simply plug it, and cut it off if i want an original sound (i have also to consider that i am not the only user of the console).
As you have say i can't hope to work on only one sound, or boost just a single frequency value; i know that any EQ will modify a freuenzy range, my hope is to work on a shortest one and that is my method to value a grat EQ; infact i don't need equalizers with 100 canal, but one that do few things but in the best way.
I don't care wo waste sound quality, cause is only a in game advantage, and i will use it just for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back