game console
May 23, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 43
tony hawk online? sounds um.. fun

obviously, most of you have never played the greatest fps of all time..

action half-life!

http://ahl.telefragged.com/

after a game like that, i don't see the point in ever going back to console.. cept for maybe final fantasy games of course.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Also, it's more fun on a 36 inch screen than a computer monitor...for me at least.

Ah, I guess that's why most gaming oriented video cards released the last four years or so have had TV-out or TV-out/in (VIVO)...
wink.gif

May 23, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Also, it's more fun on a 36 inch screen than a computer monitor...for me at least.

Ah, I guess that's why most gaming oriented video cards released the last four years or so have had TV-out or TV-out/in (VIVO)...
wink.gif

Yeah, I know not all TV-outs are created equal, but some of them are good....

May 23, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 43
Now i'm considering the gamecube, after the fact. But just looking at it really does not convince me that it's powerful enough.

What I definitely don't want is to have 2 game consoles just sitting there staring back at me. LOL

I think I'll hold off for a bit.

May 23, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
Now i'm considering the gamecube, after the fact. But just looking at it really does not convince me that it's powerful enough.

Why?
If I had to judge the XboX by it's looks alone, I'd say it was a cheap old oversized VCR produced in the late 80's, not a powerful console...

If you learn the way of the Cube, you might come to appreciate the amount of power contained within such a small object (yeah, it's pretty cute... go get the manly jet black version
wink.gif
).

Another thing that matters... maybe you should go try out the controllers for the consoles you're concidering. I prefered the GC controller, I really really don't like the ergonomics of Sony's controllers, and I find the Xbox controller less that optimal...

May 23, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

What the hell are you talking about? Powerful enough? For what? Look at some metroid footage, look at rogue squadron footage, hell just wait around until some zelda footage is available for download. I've heard from lots of people at E3 that nintendo games looked the best there -- it's got power, don't you worry your little head.

I'd think the point should be fun, not power. But it looks pretty nice too.

Don't get me wrong, the xbox has great looking games. Just remember that microsoft's marketing department isn't the best place to learn about nintendo's graphics capabilites.

May 23, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Actually, a half-computer by micro**** isnt either.

May 24, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 43
FYI, the graphics chip in the gamecube was designed by ati, here's some interesting little things to consider.

Nvidia have generally overall lower image quality than ATI.
Nvidia generally boast high performance sacrificing a few features, and image quality, with their cards.
High bandwidth on your videocard means faster framerates at HIGH resolution (above what your tv is capable of)
The graphics quality is determined by which features of the video card the developers take advantage of, or how well they program for the product. Keep in mind the gamecube was developed to be EXTREMELY easy to program for and it has some very nice programmable features.

There's no question as to whether the gamecube is "powerful" enough, it shouldn't even be a consideration.
Play some of the games, feel the controller and you should be hooked fast enough.
I mean.. look how much fun the games coming out for the gamecube look. That's what a console is all about IMHO, fun games - you can pick your controller up, switch your console on and be playing your favourite game with friends in no time.

May 24, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #25 of 43
Then again, why spend all that money for the XBox when I can just buy a GE Force3 and stick it into my computer? Its the same thing isnt it?

May 24, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

What I definitely don't want is to have 2 game consoles just sitting there staring back at me. LOL

I think I'll hold off for a bit.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The logic one should use in this day and age when deciding on which console to buy is to completely forget about console specs. The one console you buy should solely contain the games that YOU want to play. To buy a console because of the console is just pointless because any of these consoles are already a huge leap technologically from previous consoles. If the console plainly was not a leap from the previous generation's console, then sure, I would wait.

If it takes two consoles to fully get across what you want to play, well so be it. I personally just need the PS2, as the PS2 is the only console that has the games I like to play. Not the Xbox, not the Gamecube. Sure there's games from both I'd like to play, but not enough to sacrifice the much, much larger amount of games on the PS2 that I want to play.

All three consoles are plainly quite powerful and totally impress me particularly compared against the 3D graphic card based games the PC normally has, just from demos I've seen on all three, and more then powerful enough to run their games. I mean I'm not intending on using these consoles to hax0r some sex0r sites or something, so I don't know what I'd want "power" for. As long as the game runs smoothly, looks great, and has no slowdowns, I'm happy for the console. I'm more concerned about how the game plays and whether or not a game is glitchy.

In the past PCs held a clear graphic advantage over consoles because PC games always looked crystal clear sharp, while consoles always looked pixelated. That advantage has been eliminated in the current day consoles, thus I'm much more confident about the "power" in today's consoles then I was in the past.

May 24, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Alexa
Then again, why spend all that money for the XBox when I can just buy a GE Force3 and stick it into my computer? Its the same thing isnt it?

Xbox/PC owners have one particular worry wort that Gamecube and PS2 owners are much less likely to have to worry about. That is, what comes out for the Xbox, is much more likely to also be ported to the PC, and vice versa, because of the PC based architecture the Xbox is built off of. Why not double your profits when you can, just by releasing a port that'll probably require very minimal reprogramming? On the other hand, what are your chances of seeing Super Smash Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Gran Turismo 3, or Final Fantasy X come out for the PC? Next to zilch. That's why we spend money on the console, and not the Geforce 3. With the Xbox, yes one has to wonder if the Geforce 3 isn't the better investment...

May 24, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Xbox/PC owners have one particular worry wort that Gamecube and PS2 owners are much less likely to have to worry about. That is, what comes out for the Xbox, is much more likely to also be ported to the PC, and vice versa, because of the PC based architecture the Xbox is built off of. Why not double your profits when you can, just by releasing a port that'll probably require very minimal reprogramming? On the other hand, what are your chances of seeing Super Smash Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Gran Turismo 3, or Final Fantasy X come out for the PC? Next to zilch. That's why we spend money on the console, and not the Geforce 3. With the Xbox, yes one has to wonder if the Geforce 3 isn't the better investment...

I remember someone telling me that the XBox does have a GeForce3 inside it. Besdies, there are emulators for ps2, and Im sure there are for the XBox also.

May 24, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Alexa

Besdies, there are emulators for ps2, and Im sure there are for the XBox also.

By the time I get the emulator to work with certain games, I'd rather have gone out and just gotten the damn console which can work with all games. Such was the problem I had with the PSX emulator. Emulators are nice for the old school systems, but with the newer, more complicated consoles it just pays to go out and buy the darn thing.

May 24, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #30 of 43
Where theres a will, theres a way
wink.gif
Most of their games are coming out on PC though- or there are versions for nintendo, and maybe playstation.

I dont really like XBox anyway- their games just plain suck IMO. I was never into fighting games, and plus the controllers are too bulky. Not everyone has huge hands you know :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back