game console
May 22, 2002 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
All of a sudden, I have an urge to try one of the gaming consoles but not sure which one to get. Any ideas? Which one would give me the most for the money? What's the "best" console out there now? All opinions will be appreciated.
By the way, not even sure what type of games I like as I don't do much gaming. I do play a little counter strike on pc every so often.

Thanks

May 22, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 43
Check out www.videogames.com if you dont know about it, Gamecube looks mighty promising lately
wink.gif

May 23, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 43
Well, after reading that big thread on gaming consoles, I went out to wallmart a picked up.... the XBOX w/ an extra controller and DOA3.

Played it for an hour or so and am now having a bit a of buyer's remorse. Maybe, I should of gotten Halo or something else.

The gamecube as extremely affordable, at $150, but it just doesn't seem to "appear" to be the "ultimate" gaming console. I know appearance isn't everything, but I fell for the hardware look.
Anyways, I'll try and pick up another game and see if I change my mind about the XBOX.

By the way, the graphics for DOA3 was fantastic. I just wasn't into the combat fighting thing like I thought I would be.

May 23, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 43
After reading a bunch of e3 reports, I'm even happier I got the gamecube
smily_headphones1.gif

Zelda
Metroid Prime
2 very good reasons to buy a gamecube.

Add to that titles like Resident evil, Super Smash Bros Melee, Soul Calubir 2, Godzilla:destroy all monsters, Starfox Adventures etc and there's even more good reasons.

May 23, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 43
well thanks Snufkin,
you made me feel all better
frown.gif

I'm gonna go buy Halo tomorrow so I can come back and rave about the XBOX. (keeping my fingers crossed)

May 23, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 43
Go buy a gamecube as well
wink.gif

Here's some reasons to have an Xbox;
You've got a dvd player!
Um.. It's by microsoft?

Seriously though - um.. project ego, panzer dragoon orta?

Not a big fan of Halo myself, this cartoon about sums up my feelings on it
wink.gif

Don't look if you're hesitant abotu buying halo
biggrin.gif

I don't want to feed your buyers remorse - but you should have waited until all the E3 coverage had been put up, there are some very nice tidbits out there regarding upcoming console games/options.

Can't wait to link my GBA up to my gamecube for some Zelda action
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 43
Well, Sega is making games for everyone, so you should see some great titles on the Xbox, but the GC is just a videogame console and nothing else, plus its the cheapest, has great graphics, great games and a big plus for me: Resident Evil!

I can't wait to buy one!

May 23, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

[rant]

Gamecube

Why because its not Sony or Microsoft

What the above try to do is give you good graphics and SHEER bulk of games but really how many of them do you really want to play.

Do a ratio.

Now Nintendo is just focused on Gaming and not trying to give you all that garbage like a DVD player etc.. Nintendo has expierience in the console maket by being there for so many years I practically grew up with it.

Also Nintendo releases QUALITY games NOT quantity. Try playing Resident Evil on the Cube or Rouge Squadron and you'll know what I mean.

And the Cube is small which makes it easily transportable...the perfect Party console.

Not to mention you can connect your Gameboy Advance to it.

Best of all the Cube is easily Modifiable for playing games of all regions. No weird chipping like the Playstation and the XBOX crap schemes to stop you from playing games from other regions. All you have to do is solder a certain point
biggrin.gif

I say Nintendo all the way baby
cool.gif

[/rant]

^ what someone posted at my board. Dont ask me how much Nintendo paid him.

Id prefer Nintendo though- they make cute games. And most XBox games will probably come out or have come out on PC anyway.

May 23, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Played it for an hour or so and am now having a bit a of buyer's remorse. Maybe, I should of gotten Halo or something else.

LOL So you too ignored all the excellent advice and went with the long shot. I was making myself crazy going from PS2 to GameCube to XBox and back again, trying to find an obvious winner.

I finally decided that they're all quite good and although XBox doesn't have nearly as many games as PS2 ( but more than GameCube .... at the moment anyway), the potential for some great stuff is lerking in it's powerfull processor. Next Christmas will tell us whether or not Microsoft is serious about the genre.

I realize that there will be a lot of crossover between XBox and PC games, but I stopped loading PC games long ago because they most often seem to cause operating problems. Also, it's more fun on a 36 inch screen than a computer monitor...for me at least.

May 23, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 43
Coming at this from an objective point of view, I'd say get xbox or playstation2 if you want to sit there and play games by yourself, but if you want to sit around with friends and have a good time, get gamecube.

I'd probably get gamecube if I got anything because of the fun factor -- there's so much more fun associated with it than with the others.

May 23, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Alexa said...

^ what someone posted at my board. Dont ask me how much Nintendo paid him.

Sounds like one of my friends. Who I happen to agree w/, BTW.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 43
Before buying Halo run by Blockbuster and rent it for $5. And if you want to try it our online go to either xbconnect or gamespy and they have some software and servers to play Halo, Tony Hawk 2/3, and Nascar online.

May 23, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 43
tony hawk online? sounds um.. fun

obviously, most of you have never played the greatest fps of all time..

action half-life!

http://ahl.telefragged.com/

after a game like that, i don't see the point in ever going back to console.. cept for maybe final fantasy games of course.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back