Game Console graphics & video card equivalents
Feb 22, 2006 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what the equivalents of each system's graphics/performance was to PC video cards. Just curious.

PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 23
Well, anything above Geforce 4 can out perform a PS2. The xbox has a Geforce 3 in it, and that would be all you needed if you wanted to play games at 640x480, but to get a similar graphics performance you'd probably want something above the FX or 9600 series. Xbox 360, get something like a Geforce 6800 or x800xl and you'll be full of eye candy in yesterdays and todays games, and some of tomorrows.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 23
Xbox 360 is easily 7800GT/GTX class, and once they figure out how to program for the thing, it'll be much better. PS3 will be in the same class, pretty much because it uses a modified 7800 GPU.

Recent PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games are all between Geforce 3 and 6800GT class, depending on the game.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 23
Somehow I doubt that. Very much doubt it. Mabye the CHIPSET is that class, but the clock speed and memory is nowhere near a 7800 GT or GTX.

Look at the graphics. Sharp edges everywhere. No Anti Alising or anything of the like. My eVGA 6800 GT has a 500 mhz core clock and 256 meg of ram, and it will run every game made today at the maximum graphics, 1280x1024 resolution.

I have no respect for consoles.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster
Somehow I doubt that. Very much doubt it. Mabye the CHIPSET is that class, but the clock speed and memory is nowhere near a 7800 GT or GTX.

Look at the graphics. Sharp edges everywhere. No Anti Alising or anything of the like. My eVGA 6800 GT has a 500 mhz core clock and 256 meg of ram, and it will run every game made today at the maximum graphics, 1280x1024 resolution.

I have no respect for consoles.

I'm thinking maybe I should've got the 6800GT instead of the 6600GT, because I just now realized I like playing games on my PC more than on a console, actually I sold my PS2 because I didn't play it...ever, I have no intentions on buying the PS3 or Xbox 360. I don't play games that much at all, but still. 6600GT is decent. Oh well, I can still sell it.

I'll probabaly get more than I paid for it on eBay, or as much, it's like a week old. Got it for $120 (w/mail in rebate) at Newegg. Does anyone know if the AGP cards are going to drop in price any more any time soon?

ALSO, I really want the new game BLACK to come out on PC already, that game looks sweet *****.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 23
Don't get the 6600GT, it's outperformed by a lot by even a simple 6800. I'm waiting for my 6800GS to come in right now, I'm using a temp x600, which runs games, but not at high levels.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 23
It doesn't matter what you believe, but the specs for the Xbox360 are 7800GT/GTX class. The launch games are very graphically impressive for launch games, and it'll only get better from there as the programmers get used to the API and hardware.

And the 6800GT won't run all games maxed out perfectly smoothly at 1280x1024 either. F.E.A.R. and BF2 are two games that won't work well maxed out at that rez. I know because I had one, and my 7800 GT can't handle F.E.A.R maxed out at that resolution either.

I like PC gaming as much as the next hardcore FPS/RTS player, but really, if the Xbox 360 or PS3 sprout a mouse and keyboard for FPS/RTS use, I'll drop PC gaming. The graphics aren't better by enough of a margin to justify the costs. The marginal graphical improvement isn't worth the expense of PC gaming.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
It doesn't matter what you believe, but the specs for the Xbox360 are 7800GT/GTX class. The launch games are very graphically impressive for launch games, and it'll only get better from there as the programmers get used to the API and hardware.

And the 6800GT won't run all games maxed out perfectly smoothly at 1280x1024 either. F.E.A.R. and BF2 are two games that won't work well maxed out at that rez. I know because I had one, and my 7800 GT can't handle F.E.A.R maxed out at that resolution either.

I like PC gaming as much as the next hardcore FPS/RTS player, but really, if the Xbox 360 or PS3 sprout a mouse and keyboard for FPS/RTS use, I'll drop PC gaming. The graphics aren't better by enough of a margin to justify the costs. The marginal graphical improvement isn't worth the expense of PC gaming.

Werd.

Everyone compared the graphics, now compare the price.

My good old MX 440 is still working and at one time it was oced to be the fasted MX440 on 3dmark
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 23
Xbox/PS2 are equivalent to probably Geforce 4 with Pentium III/Athlon @ 1Ghz.

Xbox 360, hmmmm. My guess is that its definitely in the Geforce 7800 GTX, Radeon X1900 realms and even remember its not all about clock speeds these days. As for the processor, its difficult to tell because of the triple core, but for todays games I'd say Athlon-64 FX @ 3.2ghz.

I'd say the Xbox 360 is 80% as powerful as the most powerful PC today in terms of gaming performance with current games.

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 23
A better estimate for the Xbox 360 processor would be a dual core 1.5 GHz A64. Yeah, the Xbox 360 has three 3.2 GHz cores, but they're pretty stripped down and have a fairly low IPC. Still, a hell of a lot more powerful than previous gen consoles and more than powerful enough for gaming. Multicore game programming is at it's infancy though, so it's probably closer to a single core 1.5 GHz A64 right now.

The current equivalent to the Xbox 360 would be a A64 3500+ with 7800 GT, but once the "familarity with a fixed platform" factor kicks in, the Xbox 360 will easily leave that system in the dust.

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 23
Be careful with the dirrect comparisons between consoles and PC. Keep in mind that the consoles only have to worry about games. But the PC have the operating system and background applications to deal eith.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin

That's the only reason I like PC more, I like using the keyboard and mouse way more, I hate controllers, but I think perfomance and graphics are better overall, and easier to get with dedicated gaming console.

So if they ever start including a mouse and keyboard (which might be sooner than you think, especially how much they're turning into a computer), I would probably have to drop the money on that system. Because, really if you don't ahve a second computer that is JUST for gaming adn you're using the same computer to use a bunch of other programs to game, all of the power isn't going to be thrown at the games performance.

Does anyone think they're come out witha keyboard and mouse for the XBox 360 (or PS3 for that matter)?

I'm just trying to think of what the best route is for a casual gamer. Do I get the game console, or just get a GPU that will handle my gaming needs? I have the 6600GT, but I'm thinking of selling it and getting a 6800GT, but I have AGP so I'm limited.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Does anyone think they're come out witha keyboard and mouse for the XBox 360 (or PS3 for that matter)?

They had them for DC, PS2, and with an adaptor, Xbox or GC. No reason you can't use them for any of the latest systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back